Author Topic: Building a pond... maybe  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Wraith

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Building a pond... maybe
« on: April 13, 2018, 07:28:51 AM »
Hey, I am looking at purchasing 20 acres here in southern Indiana and I would like to add a pond in the first 2 years. I have done some reading on the topic and have run into a snag. We have lots of limestone and sink holes in the southern Indiana and I have read where both can cause problems both in digging the pond but also in "sealing" the pond so it doesn't drain out. Is there a way to test for sink holes and such to see if I have to worry about it or is it just kind of a shot in the dark? Any help?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Building a pond... maybe
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »
I have no experience at all, but am glad you are here... I'd suggest talking to neighbors in the area who have ponds... we lived in central Indiana for a few years, but our house was in the city. I know it wasn't uncommon for folks with a bit of acreage in Indiana to have ponds, though, so there must be a way!

Good luck...

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »
It's doable, but site selection is more important and some luck sure doesn't hurt.

To start with you can do a percolation test.  Dig a hole and fill it with water, then fill it again.  I can't recall the timeframe, but if it won't hold a decent amount of water for 30 minutes, it's a bad site.  This doesn't guarantee you won't uncover a surprise, but it's a start.

Offline Wraith

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:13:27 AM »
Cool, I will call the soil scientist that did the perc for our septic tank and get him to test the area we are looking at.

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:06:31 AM »
I just meant to take a shovel and dig a couple feet down like digging a post hole.   ;)

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 05:37:11 PM »
Cool, I will call the soil scientist that did the perc for our septic tank and get him to test the area we are looking at.

I'd suggest that first of all do a little research on the internet about perc tests for ponds. It may not be the same as a perc test for a septic field. Then decide whether to get a soil person to do it or do it yourself. My brief look suggested a soil person.