Author Topic: Lidocaine  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Lumpy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Lidocaine
« on: April 13, 2018, 12:14:32 PM »
Many years ago I did lots of back country canoeing.  I always carried sutures and injectable xylocaine with me. As expected, these supplies have expired and I am searching for a new supply. In the past, I had a dentist friend that would supply me with these items.
Doing searches, all the sites I have seen need a prescription.  I plan going back to the wilderness but would feel a lot better if I had some lidocaine, although in a pinch I guess I could suck it up and go without any freezing.
Anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you in advance.

Great forum by the way!

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Lidocaine
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »
I used to work at a plant that made some lidocaine products. They kept the pure stuff locked up because it can be mixed with cocaine or abused by itself.
For topical use, look for sunburn remedies.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper

Offline ZackSurvival

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:01:19 PM »
It's not that hard to get lidocaine or other painkiller. Go to your local drug store and ask for a analgesic cream or spray

Offline Huggy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:38:39 AM »
It's not that hard to get lidocaine or other painkiller. Go to your local drug store and ask for a analgesic cream or spray

I'm new to this site but happy I've found it because the information happens to be timely for me.
Briefly (?): in the middle of March, 2018, I got a minor scrape on the front of my left shin (about the size of your pinky nail) that quickly went bad, apparently complicated by having perifrial (?) vascular issues.
As a disabled Veteran I went to the VA and spent the next nine (9) months letting them treat me like a Guinea Pig and making one minor Wound into as many as seven(7) additional wounds. I won't bore you with the details of how that happened, but suffice it to say it did.
Fast forward to ~ six (6) weeks ago when I went to my local hospital Wound Care Clinic. Since then, my 1/4" diameter of the original wound that the VA turned into a 3" X 2" wound has healed by almost 33%!!!
Hot Diggity DAMN! (Pardon my French)
As part of my treatment, all of the wounds need weekly debridement which is INCREDIBLY PAINFUL!
The staff applies a topical Lidocaine solution prior to the debridement process but I STILL climb the walls and leak lots of liquid from my eyes.
For a full 24 hours thereafter and until the open wound calms down, the areas with the wounds feel like someone is pouring boiling oil on the extremity! And, YEAH, i HAVE had boiling oil poured on me so i can speak with authority on the topic matter, not to be too flippant about the subject.
My question, then, is I have to remove all bandages that cover the wounds (to keep out unwanted debris between Clinic visits) every other day, perform a modest cleaning of each open wound by myself, then apply a modest amount of ointment to prevent the exposed tissue from drying/cracking yet allow it to heal and close up, then I add a Mepolex (sp?) cover over each Wound then apply a series of ABD pads to collect the fluids which leak out as well as provide a cushion from potential external impacts to the wound sites (like from my dogs happy tail schwacking them when he is happy).
What I am trying to determine is that until I can convince my doctor to prescribe me some liquid lidocaine that I can apply directly to each offending wound to quiet them down after exposure and before covering, could I use one of the spray on products which contain a maximum of 5% Lidocaine TO THE ACTUAL WOUND SITE?
Most commercial products say they can be used on minor lacerations and such, but while my wound issues are more like a nasty Road Rash and a minor Boo Boo, can I use these spray on products and expect some reasonable relief when the bandage changes causes the pain to erupt, or is the spray on product contraindicated because the wounds encompass a modestly large area of ~ 3-4 square inches overall?
Mind you these wounds are NOT particularly deep but because of their locations and given the skin thickness in the region is easily compromised, they can be EXCRUCIATINGLY painful while exposed to the open air and even the least bit of irritation sends me through the roof with pain for several hours afterwards.
For instance, I changed the bandages/cleaned the wounds at about 1830 hours local and it is now 0330 the following morning and I cannot sleep a wink!
Oh, and I should mention that due to several other old (military induced) injuries, I take opioids each and every day, multiple times during the day, and they cannot provide me any relief, either.
In closing, and I apologize for the length of my questions, does anyone know with a certainty, if the OTC products containing up to 5% Lidocaine would be effective on my open wounds? At least until the pain and discomfort quiets down, that is.
TIA for any information you can provide. I am SOOOO looking forward to these wounds to FINALLY heal up since almost a YEAR of pain is really taking its toll on my quality of life!
Fod Bless one and all.