Author Topic: Friday the 13TH tornado,Did I survive?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Friday the 13TH tornado,Did I survive?
« on: April 15, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »
  I am not on my normal PC as it appears to have a dead power supply and many other things get my attention for now.

Just after midnight,during a third wave of thunderstorms (5 PM,9 PM,and midnight) I measured over 90 MPH winds on my wireless local WX station. 3 or 4 tr and router long enough to alert a friend and my parents that mp hour of battery and 120 watts of solar....but to keep the food in the fridge/freezer properly cold is very costly and it was difficult to tie an inverter to my auto as I can't walk unaided and my walker takes two hands...and a backpack. The battery bank ran the fridge over 14 hours as I started when temp was above 10 in the freezer and ran for 4 hours to keep food and insulin proper.I let all else dark and wore a headlight to navigate the dark house till this morning and I got the inverter/auto and cables set up. At idle ,the auto provided 340 watts to run the fridge and charge some of the batteries a bit,the solar helped though only a bit over 6 amps from solar and so I had to charge the 1600 watt battery/inverter that would run about 4 hours during tonight ,if needed. I had the fridge to temp and one battery mostly charged by noon and had to lay down...Power was restored about 1 PM.

When told my situation,my father just asked if I needed an ice chest? I reminded him he has my generator for the last 4 years and yet know that he has not even started it on occasion and probably hasn't even poured out the ancient gas he killed it with 4 years ago. The auto/inverter trick works just fine for my simple needs and expected help may never arrive. Todays electronic gadgets are so often the first things to fail.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Friday the 13TH tornado,Did I survive?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »
Glad you made it!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »
  Thanks, with my health,I probably should not live alone as everything is tough when I can't walk un-aided.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »
Good test of your preps !

-- You kept your insulin cold
-- You didnt do anything crazy that could have risked a fall when on your own in a storm
-- You had sufficient water and food and a working headlamp flashlight

Glad you guys made it thru ok. Since you have insulin, do you have other back-up low power ways to keep it cold ? Steve Harris says an electric plug in ice cube maker uses the least power, and they dont cost much, would insulin keep good in a cooler with ice made from that ? Or an RV 3 way fridge that can run off electric or propane ? Seems that if power was out longer you would need to have been able to move it somewhere else, as it would not be good to have a disabled man in a walker out in a tornado hooking up the car inverter.....

The rest of us who God did not give  practice run to use preps this weekend should take this all as a reminder to try ours out

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »
  I have a USB,very low power,fridge that will keep insulin at or below 40 degrees with a very low power demand for extended situations and I keep about 10 months ahead in rotation...the USB fridge is to chill ONE soda can though works well for my load of insulin.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »
  I have a USB,very low power,fridge that will keep insulin at or below 40 degrees with a very low power demand for extended situations and I keep about 10 months ahead in rotation...the USB fridge is to chill ONE soda can though works well for my load of insulin.

That sounds like a fantastic item, so, if you thought that your outage would have been even longer, I take it you just would have never powered up the fridge off of batteries, and instead just powered that little thing ? Would it then go a couple weeks ?

My fridge is on one of a very few outlets that are not directly connected to my batteries, so I have to run an extension cord to it, so unless it is more than 24 hours, I dont bother. Food is fine. I spent money summer before last on a few expensive batteries, wish I had bought one more of them, I should have charged it, as it would be better to have that bit more of amps available, there is enough capacity, but having more amps available at one time, and more capacity would have been more ideal. But,  too expensive and too far to drive to bother with at this point. I am fine for days on the batteries, how many days depends on what other decisions are made. I have solar panels to recharge, if the sun is out. If I wanted to run a week I would (1) turn the breaker off for the pressure pump and make due with lower water pressure (2) not run the dishwsher or washing machine, limit entertainment power useage.

does Smurf know about this USB fridge? Insulin sure does need back ups to your back ups.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 05:25:37 PM »
Prayers sent Carl.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 07:37:15 PM »
Glad you are OK, Carl...

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 08:02:11 PM »
I'd be curious about tornado prep. I've been through a few. The last one was bad as in it got close and I lost contact with my wife who was in its path. I broke down and smoked and prayed. Likewise I once drove through 3 tornadoes on my way back from a mill in Iowa and my wife cried over the phone as I went 100 mph on I35.

It's always been a game of 3 card Monte with me. You either get hit or you don't. The tornadoes are pure cruelty. The north side of the street is fine but the south side is gone. How do you prep for when your neighbor's truck flies into your house and then the whole thing is lifted and moved 4 miles? I'd be curious what worked in the high winds.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 08:37:17 PM »
Carl, you are amazingly resourceful.  Stay strong.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 03:45:32 AM »
Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers and even though I 'survived' I felt I could have done it better and in more comfort as I was reluctant to break out my propane cook top to prepare hot meals and did not use my auto to recharge batteries and run the fridge until I HAD to.Also I did not even bother to power the modems and router for my communications ,phone,even the TV was not so important as my battery powered AM/FM radio,a portable Ham radio,and the simply "D" cell powered fan...I had the technology and power to run it ....yet accepted minimal comforts as I did not feel the need to haul out more extension cords. I have yet to try to remove the power supply from my main PC and sit here in front of the olt laptop that I have used so many times while in Nursing homes and hospitals.

I have become lazy??

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 06:43:46 AM »
  I got to work about midnight,last night, and with my poor dexterity slowing my every move,I was able to remove and replace my main PC's power supply. It is working as I post this now and though I have 3 more hard drives and two DVD drives to properly power for full recovery...it is a marrer of time and splicing added wires to the power supply I had in the 'spares' closet.YAY!!

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 09:24:05 AM »

Carl,

It sounds like you had an exciting weekend, mine was rather dull. Glad you made it through

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »
Carl,

It sounds like you had an exciting weekend, mine was rather dull. Glad you made it through

Thanks my friend...but each day I wake up is exciting as I just made another year with the cancer they said would take me 'within six months' and anything else that happens I simply have learned to take in stride.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
  I got to work about midnight,last night, and with my poor dexterity slowing my every move,I was able to remove and replace my main PC's power supply. It is working as I post this now and though I have 3 more hard drives and two DVD drives to properly power for full recovery...it is a marrer of time and splicing added wires to the power supply I had in the 'spares' closet.YAY!!

Nice work!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »
Nice work!

Such simple things were not such a challenge in the past,today they are eventful. Dog and I had peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches to celibate , plus she got a Dad's root beer as she has been a real trooper the last few days.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 12:49:32 PM »

Glad you were able to do it !

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 01:23:31 PM »
Glad you were able to do it !

Thanks MM

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »
Glad you made it through with the level of comfort you could choose.