Author Topic: Long lasting vehicles.  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
Long lasting vehicles.
« on: April 20, 2018, 02:45:47 PM »
Many times people look at capabilities in choosing a bugout vehicle, and that older vehicles (60s, 70s, and maybe 80s) are better than new ones for their relative ease to work on; but there are many new vehicles that can last over 200,00 miles.  Here's list

Top 10 Longest-Lasting Vehicles

• Toyota Sequoia: 6.6 percent
    Ford Expedition: 5.4 percent
    Chevrolet Suburban: 5.2 percent
    Toyota 4Runner: 4.2 percent
    GMC Yukon XL: 3.9 percent
    Chevrolet Tahoe: 3.8 percent
    GMC Yukon: 2.8 percent
    Toyota Tacoma: 2.6 percent
    Toyota Avalon: 2.4 percent
    Honda Odyssey: 2.4 percent

Average for all models: 1.2 percent

Top 8 Longest-Lasting Pickup Trucks

• Toyota Tacoma: 2.6 percent
    Honda Ridgeline: 2.2 percent
    Toyota Tundra: 2.2 percent
    Chevrolet Silverado 1500: 2.1 percent
    Ford F-150: 1.9 percent
    GMC Sierra 1500: 1.8 percent
    Nissan Titan: 1.7 percent
    Chevrolet Colorado: 1.5 percent

Average for all models: 1.2 percent

Link
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/04/research-firm-finds-body-on-frame-trucks-last-longest.html

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Long lasting vehicles.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:41:18 PM »
The link doesn't work for me.  Can you describe what the percentage represents next to each vehicle?

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
Percentage of vehicles left from original build numbers.

For example.  Ford F-150 has a 1.9 percent average for any given year so if 300,000 are built that year (a low number) then 5,700 will last long enough to get over 200,000 miles on them.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:55:47 PM »
Wonder what's up with all those large SUV's from Toyota, Ford, and GM aging so well?

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »
I think they get used more as a show car than really worked.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:19:13 PM »
Miss my Tacoma sometimes.  They are really expensive compared to full sized trucks, even used, but I had mine for 17 years and only changed the oil and basic stuff in all that time.b

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:09:57 AM »
I can testify to the Suburban.  Mine has 322k miles and is in great shape other than rocker rust is starting.  It is certainly NOT a show vehicle as mine is a 3/4 ton used on the farm.  (Will be pulling a stock trailer to the goat auction tomorrow.)

Part of the reason these SUVs go so long is they are more expensive to replace, so repairs look more reasonable.  The other is at least the Suburbans and Tahoes are used by a lot of police depts. and fleets that may put a ton of miles on, but are maintained well.  I'm betting rust and cosmetics do in more vehicles than mechanic issues anymore...

I can see Dodge trucks and Durango not making the list for 3 weak points in design (At least from the 93-03 era).  Now, we have 4 Dodge trucks and a Caravan in the family, so not knocking the brand, but I do know a bit about them.  Ball joints go out too often, auto-transmissions aren't terribly strong and are more expensive to rebuild than the same vintage Chevy, and the front axle on 4x4 trucks is a weak design causing them to bend and toe out over time with the only fix we've found being a new axle.  Our 89 Dodge half ton hay truck will probably somehow outlast all four 93-03 era trucks we have, considering only one is still worth keeping on the road...  Had planned to replace it with the 95, but the 95 transmission died before we upgraded...

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Senior Survivalist
  • I don't know what to do, I'm new.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 06:25:07 AM »
I'm surprised none of the diesels are on the list. It's not uncommon to hear of Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstrokes getting up to 400-500k miles. This is why they hold their value so well. Sure there are a few years of them all that had some issues, but as a whole they are very impressive. The sheer size and low rpms of diesel engines contributes to their reliability.

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:04:16 AM »
Bad math. They literally compared used markets in the 200k+ miles. And what do you know, the favorite vehicles of upper middle class moms came out on top. I'm not surprised that using an SUV for taking Jr. to hockey practice and getting groceries in the burbs holds up well with an annual trip to the dealership for service.

I'm not saying these are bad vehicles but it's a mirror list of the top 10 vehicles for parents of triplets. What I'm getting at is these are cars that are babied because they carry babies. And new mom and dad don't have the free cash to replace.

So yeah, the car likely to last the longest is the car most popular with wealthy moms in the burbs. Make and model don't really matter.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »
Keep in mind, the cheapest new car in 2018 is probably orders of magnitude more reliable than a premium vehicle from 30-40 years ago.
Seriously if your criteria was reliable operation, and safety, a 2018 Nissan Versa (~$13K) will blow away a 1978 Cadillac Seville (even when it was new).

For me, I've lived long enough to know that reliability is just one facet of quality.  I don't expect the interior to hold up, or the paint job to last as well. Road noise, etc.
But, the simple truth is, there are fewer problem cars today than any time before.

Offline alexlindsay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:09:01 AM »
Any vehicle made in the last 20 years will easily last over 200k if you do the proper maintenance on it and whatever area specific maintenance needs to be done (undercoating in salt areas, etc). My gmc 1500 will likely make 300k miles because i take care of it and it hasn't rusted yet. Most vehicles that die die because of body rust, not because the engine crapped out.

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »
I'm surprised none of the diesels are on the list. It's not uncommon to hear of Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstrokes getting up to 400-500k miles. This is why they hold their value so well. Sure there are a few years of them all that had some issues, but as a whole they are very impressive. The sheer size and low rpms of diesel engines contributes to their reliability.

Good point.  All I can think is that they are going by car models only.  Oil burners would be lumped in with gassers.

My other thought is they may only consider "passenger vehicles" with 3/4 ton and up (most diesels trucks) not being considered a passenger vehicle per their definition.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 01:14:47 AM »
I have a 1986 Suzuki Samurai.  Nearly 250,000 miles.  I can let it set nearly six months, go out and turn the key, and it starts fine.

Our community has a pollution inspection requirement every year for older vehicles. 

My Sam keeps getting supervisor inspection, because the output at the exhaust is TOO LOW compared to the computer controlled pollution limiting cars.

To me, all of the hyped pollution technology is crap.

Just an opinion...