Author Topic: Your Relationship With Your Lawyer  (Read 860 times)

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Your Relationship With Your Lawyer
« on: April 24, 2018, 07:28:36 AM »
Recently Cohen, the lawyer for Donald Trump, was raided. In the seizure documents related to Cohen's representation of Sean Hannity were released WITH THE CONSENT OF A JUDGE.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/business/media/sean-hannity-michael-cohen-client.html

If you're an American you have just lost "attorney client privilege". You've also just watched the end of the legal term "search warrant". I don't know anything about Sean Hannity other than he's on Fox so I assume he's a conservative and his confidential records are being released as a political tool. Don't care. What I take away from this is that my attorney can be raided for any reason and my files will be released publicly.

Why do I care? Well I have 2 attorneys I deal with. One is financial and she helps me with business law, taxes, things like that. The other has expertise in self defense should I ever have to defend myself or my family he will be my jail phone call. Both these lawyers know everything about me. My estate, my accounts, my gold holdings, my guns, my strategies, etc. Literally my entire life has been run through with them to have plans should bad things happen.

This latest news about Cohen forces me to make a couple calls. Yay, billable hours. But now I'm concerned about what data my lawyers have on me. As usual, both laughed and told me that I am their favorite client. Both also agreed that this was a clear violation of the law and an uneasy precedent with a political motive. Both assured me they keep as little as possible on record and only what would be in my best interest. Both commended me for noticing this unprecedented event.

I believe having legal assistance is a solid prep. But now it has a liability. Your records could be seized under a search warrant totally unrelated to you and put into public view. There's a lot I have shared with my doctor, lawyer, and pastor I don't want going public even if I've done nothing wrong. It's worth consideration.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Re: Your Relationship With Your Lawyer
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM »
I’m not an expert but everything you’re saying seems to make sense. From what I heard not only did they raid the lawyer but information obtained from the raid was leaked to the press which should not have happened either

It’s ridiculous that many young people think privacy is not important. They just say they have nothing to hide
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:50:12 AM by surfivor »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
Reminds me of police "no-knock" raids.  When I've brought this up with police officers I know personally, they assure me that I'm a "good guy" and have nothing to worry about.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »
David, I have not needed a lawyer (although we do pay into HSLDA, so kind of we have a lawyer for homeschool issues), but my reading and analysis of this whole debacle is the same as yours.  And I am suddenly much more afraid of the future.
Maybe it is just that the thin veneer of pretending has been scraped off because this is a high-profile case.

There is absolutely NO REASON at all that Cohen's other clients needed to be revealed, even IF there was good solid reason for violating the client-attorney privilege.  That was pure vindictiveness and searching and an attempt to destroy other opponents.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:56:17 AM »
Reminds me of police "no-knock" raids.  When I've brought this up with police officers I know personally, they assure me that I'm a "good guy" and have nothing to worry about.

Smurf, show them a bunch of articles like this one.  Good guys have plenty to worry about.

Police Raid Berwyn Heights Mayor's Home, Kill His 2 Dogs
The gist of it is a package of pot was delivered to his house accidentally.  SWAT responded.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:08 AM »
Smurf, show them a bunch of articles like this one.  Good guys have plenty to worry about.

Police Raid Berwyn Heights Mayor's Home, Kill His 2 Dogs
The gist of it is a package of pot was delivered to his house accidentally.  SWAT responded.

I don't expect to find the stats, but I wonder if an innocent person is more at risk of being shot during an armed home invasion, or an mistaken no-knock raid.

If I tumble out of bed in my PJs in response to my front door being rammed open, I could be holding a combination of phone/flashlight/firearm.  I'm also not likely to be completely aware, with compromised reaction time. So when verbally ordered to "drop the weapon" that small delay of a half yawn or "huh?" would likely get me shot.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:03:32 PM »
David, I have not needed a lawyer (although we do pay into HSLDA, so kind of we have a lawyer for homeschool issues), but my reading and analysis of this whole debacle is the same as yours.  And I am suddenly much more afraid of the future.
Maybe it is just that the thin veneer of pretending has been scraped off because this is a high-profile case.

There is absolutely NO REASON at all that Cohen's other clients needed to be revealed, even IF there was good solid reason for violating the client-attorney privilege.  That was pure vindictiveness and searching and an attempt to destroy other opponents.

DH and I have discussed this as well... I had always had this silly idea that search warrants were limited to the particular things being searched for and that nothing unrelated to that was allowed. And in particular, the idea that information about someone else entirely (not covered in the original warrant) could be freely taken in this huge fishing expedition was very disturbing. Where is the ACLU now? Why doesn't this disturb even the Trump haters? Had this happened to ANYONE else, the entire national media, civil liberties advocates and anyone who has ever had confidential dealings with an attorney would be up in arms...