Author Topic: Free batteries  (Read 949 times)

Offline Tufffireguy

• Fledgling Prepper
Free batteries
« on: April 26, 2018, 08:34:54 AM »
I put out an ad on Facebook for picking up ewaste, someone from my local spectrum cable facility asked if I wanted to clean out a warehouse of old stock, in this pile of wonderful goodies were 9 batteries that they used as battery backup on those boxes they put on the poles, I believe they are all 12v 220, if they are good I plan to use them on my bus conversion, my question is, should I bother testing them all and if so can you point me in the direction of a good PDF or youtube video on how to properly do so or just take them into the recycling facility and collect 300.00.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Free batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
I'm not familiar with the pole batteries they use. Can you post a picture of one of them?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:35:46 AM »
Check for the DATE CODE ,unless stored DRY (with no acid in them) the very best of such batteries I know of are rated for 10 years life.
Batteries do age out and die ,even if not being used...in fact they last longer when in use than in storage.(unless stored DRY)

Offline Tufffireguy

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:26:14 PM »
Some googling didn't tell me much.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
  As they appear to be UN-USED and reasonably fresh,I would use them together as a bank and NOT MIX WITH OTHER CELLS,even of the same make and size. Typically they can last 10 years in float service IF not below 12.0 volts from storage/neglect as the neglect will cause damage internally.

Data: https://www.alpha.ca/solutions/solutions-alpha-catalog/batteries/batteries/item/alphacell-gxl-gelcell-batteries