Author Topic: Dehydrated vegetable/fruit powder storage  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
Dehydrated vegetable/fruit powder storage
« on: April 26, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »
I've had a dehydrator for over 20 years.  I got it when I was in high school, and it's only ever seen apples, pineapple, and one or two bananas...
I've been watching a ton of youtube videos to try and get some new ideas.  I hate the idea of throwing things out, so I'm considering dehydrating some vegetables/fruits before they go bad.  The videos are pretty thorough, and I think if I just stored the full vegetable/fruit, I would throw in an oxygen absorber since I don't have the attachment to use with my super old Foodsaver. 
If  I grind and make them into a powder - would I still use an oxygen absorber? Or, would that tend to make things like a rock (thinking of how sugar gets)??  Maybe nothing would be needed other than a good tight lid?
Thanks!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Dehydrated vegetable/fruit powder storage
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »
Hi Billie... I am glad you're going to expand your dehydrating horizons! I think you'll love it... there used to be some really great information at the dehydrate2store.com website... I would start there for ideas. She is really the dehydrating queen...

I think you'll have good luck with your dehydrated foods, although I can't say I've ever really reduced things to powder form. I'd think as long as you get them really dry they should be fine with an o2 absorber.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
hey Billie - somewhere on this thread http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=13569.0 I posted my dehydrated veggie powder recipe.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
I think it depends how long you plan on storing it for. If it is just used throughout the year, rotated, you dont need to do anything special. I have fruit slices, parsley, sliced green onion, diced onion,  kale leaves, a year or two just in jars. But, more than that, I would put in an O2 absorber. Powdered veggies I would treat the same. I personaly wouldnt powder the fruit, so no comments on that, but sliced fruit I would put in an O2 absorber. Most important thing is to dry on low heat, but to dry thourougly

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 08:06:06 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I'm running over to pick up my dehydrator from my moms this weekend, and will hopefully get a first batch going by Sunday! 

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 08:33:35 AM »
Not gonna lie... I'm pretty dang impressed with just how great my first batch of tomatoes has turned out! And, not even half a flat filled a pretty good sized jar.  I'm gonna get the other half done, and then I'll give powdering a try with some of them. But, no way can I do them all, because I'm loving how well these slices turned out :)
I tried posting a pic, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it in this forum... but that's okay, you know what dried tomatoes look like ;)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »

I tried posting a pic, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it in this forum... but that's okay, you know what dried tomatoes look like ;)

8) on the tomatoes.

You have to post your pics at a hosting site, Google, or Amazon if you are a prime member.
Then copy and past that picture link here.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 07:03:27 AM »
You know... I'm completely convinced of the value of dehydrating tomatoes especially. If you dry them, they are so flavorful and beautiful. I particularly like making homemade tomato soup with dehydrated tomatoes (and I never powder them... Just rehydrate and then use a blender to puree).

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 08:12:21 AM »
They really are great! I'm hoping most of these make it to cooking... they keep getting swiped for snacking at the moment!  :)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »
You know... I'm completely convinced of the value of dehydrating tomatoes especially. If you dry them, they are so flavorful and beautiful. I particularly like making homemade tomato soup with dehydrated tomatoes (and I never powder them... Just rehydrate and then use a blender to puree).

Hey LV, do you put anything on the tomatoes when drying, such as sulfur? like some of the big sun drying companies?

My wife is asking, as we're thinking of ditching the 50.00 dryer and going with an excalibur unit. Timer and heat setting unit, 9 tray.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 05:15:34 PM »
No... I never do anything to my tomatoes... just slice and dry.

For some fruits, I spritz with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown...

I had a real bumper crop of tomatoes in 2014... I canned sauce, diced tomatoes, salsa... when I got tired of that, I dehydrated the rest... The canned tomatoes are long gone, but I'm still using the dehydrated tomatoes... I think I have 3 more quart jars left... I didn't even bother with the O2 absorbers and they are all fine. I just vacuum sealed the jars and the seals all held...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 05:27:45 PM »
Sounds great. Thanks. We will more-n-likely vac seal in masons.