Author Topic: Dog bite with no access to medical aid  (Read 776 times)

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Dog bite with no access to medical aid
« on: April 30, 2018, 10:44:42 AM »
We just received a wake up call at the danger posed by the minorest of Dog bites.  Wow it went quick.  I am sure that any infection is the same.

Friday morning at 01:00 AM I am awoken by my wife yelling "ouch, ouch, ouch" from the wrong side of the bed.  She had gotten up to go to the bathroom and stepped on the black dog sleeping on our bedroom floor.  He reacted tot he assault by biting the attacker.  The skin showed 4 scratches on the top of her foot (above the arch) and one was oozing blood.  It was not a puncture wound just a scratch that was deep enough to bleed.  I have bleed more from a mosquito bite I opened with my fingernail.  We put some Hydrogen Peroxide on it and she decided to sleep on the couch because it hurt a lot where he had gotten ahold of the top of the foot.  She got up in the morning cleaned it again and showered.  It got more painful through out the day.  She more or less stayed on the couch.  When I got home after work we decided to get it looked at fearing nerve or tended damage.  The Doctor prescribed a tetanus shot, antibiotics, and continued soaking in Epson salt.  It is now Monday and she is just starting to see improvement.

Post SHTF what would be the best preps to have.  Obviously my Hydrogen Peroxide was not enough.  I might send this in for an expert council response.

Doug

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Dog bite with no access to medical aid
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »
Epsom's salts are a great prep to have around the house... I do keep a big box of that...

Keeping the tetanus shot up to date is another very good prep... As for the antibiotics... not much you can legally do to keep them on hand. It may be, though, that had you started with the epsom salts, the infection may not have set in? (Hard to know for sure, though).

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »
It is hard when it is a puncture, they do not bleed much but can get infected.

Soaking is realy, realy good. Around here, I use calendula tincture.  For a dog bite, I would use ALOT of it in warm water to soak, and I would soak multiple times a day.

You can buy fish antibiotics to keep around the house for when there is no doctor, there are threads here that have resources to download or read on treating wounds when no doctor. ANd, yes, do ask the expert council, this is a good question for that

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »
It’s the cat bites that freak me out, they go south so fast.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 07:12:39 AM »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 10:15:45 AM »
  Wash it ,soak it ...maybe Hydrogen Peroxide or even white vinegar (may burn a bit) wrap in gauze to protect it ,yet allow it to leak out a bit.
I found that UV LIGHT will aide in disinfection of even deep wounds for me as I would unwrap and use UV light for 20 minutes or so then re-wrap,
with clean bandage as indicated (by a dirty bandage) Just things I noticed worked for me...I am not,nor have I been thought of as a Doctor...though
I saw one on TV once.

UV LIGHT

Offline ZackSurvival

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »
As long as the animal it's a domestic dog or cat with all the vaccinations you don't have to worry. You just need to clean the wound and recipe some antibiotics