Author Topic: Taxation fuels Migration  (Read 1246 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Taxation fuels Migration
« on: April 30, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
https://fee.org/articles/americans-are-voting-with-their-feet-against-high-tax-states-like-california/?utm_campaign=Daily&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=62530845&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--e1C3dpH-ELxolcYgv9m0GWwTUI-x6l_ucJdnDoSmh2pUyYMJCDsGk3Vj7Mb7_JHdUbAnST9HV6B8M1ErtBG62BjJ-bA&_hsmi=62530845

California is a lot like France. They’re both wonderful places to visit.

And they’re both great places to live if you already have a lot of money.

But neither jurisdiction is very friendly to people who want to get rich. And, thanks to tax competition, that’s having a meaningful impact on migration patterns.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Taxation fuels Migration
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 12:03:46 PM »
Sucks to be the states that wind up polluted by fleeing Californicators.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
What Freelancer said...

When we moved just north of the MD/PA border over 10 years ago, it was said that taxes were lower in PA.  Maybe they were, if nothing else the real estate is cheaper and taxes were sliced/diced at more levels of gov't. 

Anyway, my point is that a lot of other people moved away from tax heavy MD to PA where taxes were less.  But they didn't leave the statist mindset behind.  They wanted schools to be new and fresh.  Police to respond to every fender bender.  Libraries to have 20 of the latest book.  Road (notoriously bad in PA) to be pristine.  And if it snows, fresh salt and cinder.  Just like they were used to in MD.  Needless to say that taxes have slowly and steadily risen over the past 10 years...

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
That's a problem with any sort of "migration."  People move into an area and keep the mindset of their old place.

Road (notoriously bad in PA) to be pristine.
They sure haven't gotten their money's worth on this point.  PA roads still suck, there's a VERY distinct line on I-83 when you drive from MD to PA.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »
They sure haven't gotten their money's worth on this point.  PA roads still suck, there's a VERY distinct line on I-83 when you drive from MD to PA.

Yep.  I drive it every day.  Same for most of the back roads too.  We don't need a "Welcome to PA" sign because you already know.  On the flip side, does the MD portion of I-83 really need to be repaved every other year?  Nope.  Sometimes good enough is good enough. 

I believe PA has the highest road mileage : resident ratio in the US (or something like that).  So each taxpayer's dollar has more road to cover.

PA roads are so bad they have their own FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/Pa-roads-suck-434071826722660/

And some interesting Youtube videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2jQ42hVY8c - (lots of cussing - but pretty funny)

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
Sucks to be the states that wind up polluted by fleeing Californicators.

I know. Went from one to another (CO to NV)  >:( Makes me long for my homeland in the swamp (MI).

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:53:29 AM »
We don't need a "Welcome to PA" sign because you already know.  On the flip side, does the MD portion of I-83 really need to be repaved every other year?  Nope.  Sometimes good enough is good enough. 
Road shows the line very well.

And I agree 100%, there's no need to constantly repave.  I drive the same road every single day.  I know that this particular road did not have a single pothole.  Last Summer they repaved it.  I'm sure it is because there was money in the budget that they had to spend.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 07:00:31 AM »
Here is something funny related to the topic:

https://www.facebook.com/lastamericapatriots/photos/a.235087906641439.1073741826.235086849974878/1032008053616083/?type=3&theater

I know it is true for any out-of-stater who moves into an area... sometimes the changes you bring are not at all intentional... for example, we have had a real migration of Californians (since many years ago, actually) to the northern NM (esp. Santa Fe) area. Because of the real estate buying power those folks had when they came and their relative insensitivity to property taxation, the property prices and taxes rose to the point that many multi-generational Santa Feans couldn't afford to live there anymore...

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »
My mother worked as a project manager for a very large German company you've all heard of. When they brought management to the US they had to choose where to live. Obviously New York and Chicago were the sexy choices. But the job requires 100% travel (my mom traveled every week) and it pays the same no matter where you live. So after comparing cost of living, access to an international airport that doesn't suck, and the tax structure, about a dozen high net worth Germans moved to Montana.

They also marveled at my mother's "brilliant" choice of living in Milwaukee with easy access to a great tiny airport. Mom always laughed because we lived midway between both sets of grandparents. She had accidentally chosen a great commuter city.

I know people who travel hours once per year to buy clothes to avoid a sales tax. I have friends who travel for work and live here because MSP is one of the best airports in the country. But I also know retirees who leave because MN taxes Social Security as income.

What I'm getting at is that the state meddles with so many parts of our lives through ta code, public works (I wouldn't live here if I couldn't walk to a great park), roads, and the like. To the point that my mother used to gamble whether the toll way or city streets would be faster to visit her parents in Chicago. Is it worth the $5 to save 5 minutes?