Author Topic: Asparagus  (Read 724 times)

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
Asparagus
« on: May 01, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
Any tips on weeding the asparagus bed?  It has a good bit of ground ivy, dandelions, and a few other things going on in there.  The ground ivy is pretty tough.  Not only does it grow thick shading out the asparagus sprouts, but the roots and vines get intertwined with the a'gus crowns.

I mulched it in the fall and added a 2-3 inch layer of pine needles on top.  It's located at the very back of my yard next to a rarely used field littered with some type invasive prickly thistle (that loves the loose soil in my garden).

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 03:18:26 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the ground ivy.  It might help keep other crap from growing up in there.  I would think that the asparagus would push right up through the ivy.

My problem with my asparagus is I made the mistake of planting in an area that I thought would be just lost planting space.  Problem is it is by a fence, the birds drop all kinds of seed.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
I weed my patch 4-5 times a year.  I don’t try to get every last blade of grass.  Just keep it relatively neat looking.  I also mulch once a year with well aged compost and I sweeten it with some hard wood ash since I’ve heard it doesn’t like acidic soil.

Offline DeniseLee

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:16:35 AM »
Hi,

Could you please say what do you use exactly for your aged compost?
As I'm a very beginner in gardening yet.

And thank you for sharing your experience!

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »
Hi Denise,

My aged compost is a mixture of organic material from my homestead.  It can be yard clippings, vegetable scraps, moss from my pond, chicken and cow bedding that is soiled, etc.  I age it for about a year.  During those 12 months I turn it over with a pitchfork at least twice to let it loosen up and get air.  It stays outside so it gets moisture from the weather.  At the end of 12 months it usually looks almost like soil itself.  This gets spread on the asparagus.

Charles