Author Topic: What's wrong with this picture, and what was Alinco thinking?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: What's wrong with this picture, and what was Alinco thinking?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 03:42:39 AM »
Besides the 'non-standard' arraignment of the Anderson Power pole connectors ?
It does demon-strait how I often say that "they" think differently than "we" do ...but due to the design of the power poles',it should not be hard to effect re-alignment to the "HAM" way.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:54:13 AM »
I don’t get it, why would a second tier ham radio manufacturer come late to the power pole party and then decide to not conform to the ARES configuration?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:54:05 AM by FreeLancer »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:09:37 AM »
I don’t it, why would a second tier ham radio manufacturer come late to the power pole party and then decide to not conform to the ARES configuration?

As the Power Pole can be oriented in several ways that don't conform to ARES...a very small representative group of an even smaller group of Hams...an even smaller group of electronics enthusiasts...  OH ,I do use the ARES suggested method for all of my Ham and low voltage gear.

Maybe misplaced EXCLUSIVITY ?  It is a dumb idea though.  I have used and suggested others use a low cost ,very god quality,power supply that takes little effort to use and has been found,so far,to be excellent and NOISE FREE for HF,UHF,VHF use and plenty capable of running even 160 watt VHF amplifiers with 'dodgy' voltage input and frequency fluctuations often experienced from generators or inverter input (even budget modified sine wave inverters)

The work involved is all wireing of the AC input (screw terminal strip) and the three PLUS and MINUS (parallel) power out terminals and a screwdriver adjustment of the 12 to 15 volt output regulator.  And today ,it costs $21

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Switching-Universal-Regulated-Transformer/dp/B01LATMSGS/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1527163149&sr=8-23&keywords=ham+radio+transceiver

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 09:41:30 AM »
Maybe misplaced EXCLUSIVITY ? 

Screw dat, I'm voting for sheer careless-ness on Alinco's part. You CANNOT even tie powerpoles together the way they have them configured on this amp, they would have to be individual powerpole connectors for this to work.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »
Screw dat, I'm voting for sheer careless-ness on Alinco's part. You CANNOT even tie powerpoles together the way they have them configured on this amp, they would have to be individual powerpole connectors for this to work.

I had not paid enough attention to the configuration....maybe they sell an adapter?  Yea,that would make them look like real pros... :)

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 11:39:51 AM »
  I'm betting on sleep deprivation.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 02:30:51 PM »
Every one of these eham reviews mentions they wished they’d looked at the picture more closely before purchasing.

https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13333

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
That PowerPole layout was probably done by the same clowns who design menu interfaces for Yaesu.

I swear, the first company that shakes out their product line for little idiocies like this will soon own the ham world.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
  Wait a minute...how can people blame Alinco for being TREND SETTERS ,are they any different than ARES ? ,who is also not the product manufacturer for making the 'RULES OF ATTACHMENT??  :facepalm: :sarcasm: :deadhorse:

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »
Looks like they matched Goal Zero's charging input cable.  But even Goal Zero managed to get their unit's powerpole output into ARES standard configuration.

Besides ARES in the ham space, are there any other "standards" for powerpole orientation? 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 06:52:53 PM »
Looks like they matched Goal Zero's charging input cable.  But even Goal Zero managed to get their unit's powerpole output into ARES standard configuration.
That's a pretty clever way of keeping the 18v solar panel output from being plugged into devices expecting 12v.  Goal Zero is pretty good at making things at least somewhat idiot-proof.  I get the feeling that they put a lot of thought into this sort of thing.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 06:01:12 AM »
this way you can reverse charge your solar panels!  Sweet!!!!!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »
I had assumed it was a photoshop goof when some graphic artists touched up their stock photo.