Author Topic: Have we turned a corner on mass shootings? People are now fighting back.  (Read 1034 times)

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Over the last week there has been several news articles about people actively defending themselves against shooters.  Examples:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/hero-teacher-ran-gunman-tackled-ground-student-pretty/story?id=55446304

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/24/us/oklahoma-city-shooting/index.html

Have we turned a corner where people realize that the best defense is oftentimes a good offense?  And the media seems willing to even report on such events when in past they would distort it or bury the story.

Also, both yesterday and today  I have had a person reach out to me on learning to shoot.  The one used to be very anti-gun but said he and his wife now realize that gun control doesnt work.  Seems like a sea change may be happening regarding self defense.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
the anti-2nds have over played their hands?  maybe....

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
I doubt it.

People learning they have to defend themselves will not stop those that think we would be better off without guns.  The unarmed citizens will be held up as examples of it taking good guys, not good guys with a gun, to stop shooters. 

The good guys with guns ae just increasing density of armed citizens. Progressives think the active shooter problem is bigger than it is and want gun laws. Conservatives think the problem is bigger than it is and carry guns.

Also note the hysteria isn't fading. We are now focusing on smaller shootings. Shootings with two victims, shootings where no one dies, etc.  This means armed citizens can stop all the shootings they want, we are starting to focus on the occurrences, not the severity. This means armed citizens or cops will not be seen to "solve" anything. Smaller and smaller scale crime will become national news and a feeling of crisis will continue.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
Also note the hysteria isn't fading. We are now focusing on smaller shootings. Shootings with two victims, shootings where no one dies, etc.  This means armed citizens can stop all the shootings they want, we are starting to focus on the occurrences, not the severity. This means armed citizens or cops will not be seen to "solve" anything. Smaller and smaller scale crime will become national news and a feeling of crisis will continue.

Good point.  Very good point, in fact

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
I don't think so.

What I think is happening is that certain media outlets are now talking about shootings where citizens fought back.

Some random person shooting up a restaurant is, in their opinion, more newsworthy than someone stopping it.  Notice that not all, or even a significant portion of the media talks about the armed citizen.  Only those with a more. . .conservative. . .bent.

The Professor

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Notice that not all, or even a significant portion of the media talks about the armed citizen.  Only those with a more. . .conservative. . .bent.

But all the mainstream media did cover the cited stories.  I wouldnt call news outlets like abc or cnn conservative. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
I am seeing a few stories in mainstream news about moving on to more constructive solutions, now that more gun control has been essentially blocked.  Mostly they revolve around looking for ways to break the copycat nature of these incidents.  The one most often mentioned is masking shooters' identities so as not to give them fame some people crave.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
I am seeing a few stories in mainstream news about moving on to more constructive solutions, now that more gun control has been essentially blocked.  Mostly they revolve around looking for ways to break the copycat nature of these incidents.  The one most often mentioned is masking shooters' identities so as not to give them fame some people crave.

IMHO, that will do a WHOLE lot towards fixing the problem.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Notice that not all, or even a significant portion of the media talks about the armed citizen.  Only those with a more. . .conservative. . .bent.
To expand on what I4L wrote, I think that after two decades of seeing their anti-gun propaganda shot down almost trivially by a bunch of amateurs, things are opening up a little bit.  Even the BBC is getting onboard with reporting the news these days:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44256763

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Another example and this is from Oregon:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/05/17/alek-skarlator-oregon-commissoner/

Paris Train Hero Alek Skarlatos Runs For County Commissioner In Oregon

Serving as county commissioner would provide Skarlatos an opportunity to stand up for values he believes in and to represent a younger generation, he said.

“I think the political climate has led a lot of younger people to become interested in politics, myself included,” Skarlatos said. “I just hope to move Douglas County in a better direction.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/school-shooting-self-defense-tips-from-paris-train-hero-alek-skarlatos

School-shooting self-defense tips from Paris train hero Alek Skarlatos

“We had kind of talked about that situation before, like what we would do,” Skarlatos told FOX Business’ Neil Cavuto during an interview Saturday. “That’s a huge help, too, just trying to imagine yourself in situations like that and thinking about what you’d do so you have an answer ahead of time. When it happens, you're not in a total state of shock.”
For instance, a moving target is harder to hit -- so if you’re stuck in an open area, it’s best to keep moving and running away from the shooter, he said. But if you’re trapped in a classroom and a gunman enters the room, and there’s no other escape options, “I’d definitely say fight it out because that’s your only hope at that point,” he said.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
The school shootings really seem to foster anti-gun hysteria... and to me, in so many of those cases (one in my own hometown, at the middle school I atended was a case in point a few years ago), the underlying problem is bullying. The kids who are bullied by other students continually and with no repercussions for that behavior for the bully end up feeling as if they are powerless.

I realize that bullying is not new behavior... it has happened probably as long as people have existed. However, it has reached a new level of mean-ness with the advent of social media and the ability of peers to say terrible mean things from behind the safety of a phone or computer screen. It has perhaps de-sensitized our young people. And once that de-sensitization has occurred, it is only a short step to physical bullying as well.

School personnel are obviously not able to identify it and take actions to stop it in all cases (or at least it seems that way to me). I'm not sure what the answer is, but as a parent, I would be particularly concerned about my child if he/she were a victim of bullying and would be very likely to remove them from that situation if I couldn't get swift action taken to remove it at the school level. In fact, it is one reason I chose to homeschool my children.

When people used to ask us how we planned to "socialize" our children when we homeschooled, we used to jokingly reply:

"Well about once a week, we trap the boys in the bathroom, beat them up, take their lunch money and threaten them with dire consequences if they tell anyone about it. We think they are getting the same sort of socialization experiences at home they would get at a public school."

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran

I have heard some claims that all the shooters are either jihadists or this thing called incels on anti depressants drugs tho the term incel is a little inexact but it is an actual movement apparently

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/04/25/us/incel-rebellion-alek-minassian-toronto-attack-trnd/index.html