Author Topic: New offgrid solar install  (Read 570 times)

Offline buckaroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
New offgrid solar install
« on: May 26, 2018, 10:11:07 AM »
I am new to the forum, thought I would post a video of what I accomplished last season......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08FbDUfnVA&t=10s

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: New offgrid solar install
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 12:05:34 PM »
  You are off to an impressive start.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »
Yes indeed!  Thanks for the video.

Offline buckaroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
Thanks! Yep, after 10 years of living with ice-chests and batteries it was finally time to take this step.....the missus is very happy.... :)
Wiring this system was a serious task for a first timer, but now it makes sense.....sorta...still makes me smile when I flip a switch and the light actually comes on!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
Very nice!

What type of refrigerator do you have there? Any website links for where you sourced the equipment?

Offline buckaroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »
After much research over the refer, I chose a Danby 10 cf (apartment size) model with 290 kwh/yr power usage....https://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-9-9-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-White-Counter-Depth-DFF100C1WDB/205471485?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cG%7cBase%7cD29A%7c29-13_REFRIGERATION%7cMULTI%7cNA&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9LPYBRDSARIsAHL7J5mONGWvn4bYTQnTD-m_e9O7sb0DR1YEaixdS0lBpUPswlz6ENkiSkUaAoT2EALw_wcB&dclid=CPjpgNapq9sCFVaraQodE5YLjQ

The equipment is all Schneider - 4048 Inverter/AC & DC boxes/MPPT/Etc
The panels are Canadian Solar 330 watt x 6
Batteries are Lenoch AGM 6v x 8

I got the equipment through AEE Solar, referred there by an online contact that does Offgrid consulting....

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 10:59:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing that... we are thinking about adding solar at some point (heck, we've been thinking about it for quite awhile). Just haven't yet taken the plunge.

Offline buckaroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:56:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing that... we are thinking about adding solar at some point (heck, we've been thinking about it for quite awhile). Just haven't yet taken the plunge.

Same with us....we built our cabin while living in an old 1968 18 ft trailer....it was fun and kinda 'romantic' the first year or so...got to be less so as time went along. All still fun and a great memory, and even after we moved into the cabin it was kinda ok to  'rough it' a little.......but one day the ice chests and batteries got to be too much and it was time, I think you'll know when..:-) With rpices coming down and power going up it is really just a matter of when. I recommend splitting up the price if that is an issue....You can finance some stuff, put other on a CC or two, spread it out a bit....