Author Topic: roofing question  (Read 984 times)

Offline The Morgan Hill Homesteading Project

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
roofing question
« on: May 26, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »
hello

I am drawing out and pricing a rabbitry. for the roof I think I want to use a a piece of plywood. what kind of plywood should I buy and should I be treating it with anything for water resistance and terminates. the rest of the structure will be made out of reclaimed redwood 4x4's at 2.00 a board foot.

The structure will be of a similar design to this, it needs t be raccoon proof  though as dad told me of stories of raccoons eating rabbits feet. the cages will be partiality insulated.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Rabbits_For_Meat___Small_Hutch_Project____Update_June_14th_Page_7_w__pics/19-639935/?

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: roofing question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 02:13:18 PM »
OSB oriented strand board, put comp. roofing on.
 metal and you can collect water,
greenhouse roofing.
you can skip the plywood and attach roofing to 2x4 frame.
if your worried about termites put bait traps in the ground. treat wood with boron close to ground.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »
I dont use OSB as it falls apart with moisture. Use exterior grade plywood, then cover the plywood with some type of waterproof roofing material. Lots of choices there, depends what you can inexpensively get a hold of, shingles, roll roofing, corugated metal. My chicken coop has corrugated metal, the couple other little sheds I have ( well housing, wash machine shelter) have shingles, as I got some for free. You can paint the shingles or roll roofing now and again over the years as it wears with the waterproofing roof sealing paint which also will keep it cooler underneath ( the white coating, sell it at home depot and all over)

You would not treat the plywood roofing deck with anything, esp not for termites, not a worry. And, the ground termites do not like redwood, not worth treating or taking precautions for, esp for a hutch structure, judging from my experience with them. All the chicken coop redwood supports here are straight in the ground, and I have a robust ground nesting termite population. ( now for my house and deck, I do not chance wood to soil connections !)

As far as keeping racoon from killing them, racoons cannot get their hand thru hardware cloth (so very teeny openings) or, if you are using the standard cages as shown, build a second wire fence around the whole thing, then it doesnt matter that they can get their hands thru, the distance will now be too great. I dont know how far a racoon can reach, make it 18" between the outer wire barrier and the inside rows of cages to be safe. So, that guys free standing roofed structure with the hanging cages in your link, if he had wire around the perimeter, for the footprint of what is under that sloped roof, going from the roof to the ground, it would be racoon proof ( and dog proof,  the dogs will also harrass or nibble toes) , yes, then you need a bit more framing, and a door way to open, but the rabbits will now be safe
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:31:17 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »
Another thing about the motivation of racoons : When We were first building the current chicken coop, we had the plywood roof sheathing on, but it was summer (no rain) and the roofing was not over the sheathing yet. Thick plywood too, but where the roof peak was, well that is where the 2 sheets of plywood meet, and chickens were locked up there every night, and the darn racoons ( who have small, strong hands ) were ripping apart the plywood at the roof peak, as they could get their nails in that crack, layer by layer. SO, we had to rush the roofing material on before they could make a hole large enough to get an arm in.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 12:50:52 AM »
I'd frame it up then just run treated 1x6 purlins across 2 foot spans. It's ready for metal roofing.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
I'd frame it up then just run treated 1x6 purlins across 2 foot spans. It's ready for metal roofing.

This.

Offline The Morgan Hill Homesteading Project

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 09:20:52 PM »
I figured it out. I will post pics later.