Author Topic: Portable solar system to run electric fans  (Read 2636 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: Portable solar system to run electric fans
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2018, 08:13:22 AM »
I'm rather late to this but the o2Cool 10inch fan works on both Dcell batteries and 12v adapter.

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 11:57:59 AM »
I'm rather late to this but the o2Cool 10inch fan works on both Dcell batteries and 12v adapter.

I have had those types of fans for years. This 12 volt setup allows me to run a more powerful fan but I still use those other types sometimes also

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »
  I am back from the dead....
So good to hear, Carl!  Hoping you are feeling better every day. 

And thanks to those who are providing good explanations.  Knowledge from college physics hasn’t stayed with me, unfortunately.    Refreshers are needed!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2018, 01:15:35 PM »
  I find that effecting air motion ,as with air temperature,that more power is needed than often planned for. I find favor with the 8 inch ,12 volt fans in the 15 watt class that require about ONE AMP to give motion to air and as there is little innovation in propeller...one can well judge the average fan with the power consumed. Being able to recognize the need to oil bushings can add to the useful life of these fans as they are  simple and fairly tough. Also keeping the moving and non-moving parts free from dust will greatly effect their usefulness. 

I have used 120 volt fans in the 8 to 10 in (about 30 watt) table top size and will use them with an inverter as I have good supply of solar to power stuff and while an inverter driven fan does work well,they are less efficient than a directly driven 12 volt fan . Of the battery operated fans I like best are thee one or two speed 12 volt ,with cigarette plug...often advertised as 15 to 20 watt and often requiring ONE AMP or there abouts of power. I will link one or two below with the fact that brand name offers little in decision here as cost is my guide....most appear to be made to the same quality anyway.

A final note is the OH 2 COOL battery fans is that they are good fans ,though they lack the power to move as much air as the 12 volt ,plug in fans and would not be my first suggestion unless battery only (internal batteries) is a requirement as they tend to not move as much air...though they are quite effective...I like the more common looking dash board fans as below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFLQKLK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719JVTW4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that COST,not brand name,is more my guide to purchase these and I also look at options as speed,and oscillating to be good to better aid motion in a somewhat larger than 'personal' room.