Author Topic: Helping the apple trees along ,,,  (Read 716 times)

Offline Antman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Helping the apple trees along ,,,
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:34:14 PM »
 Hello all,
I haven't posted in a while but had a question on the apple trees so here I am .  We planted some trees about seven years ago and finally last year got the first apples off them!! The trees are on our retirement lot two states away so they have been pretty much on their own for the whole time. We lost a few but have about 9 left. it is western Maine so cold winters and plenty of snow and deer/moose to deal with, but a few made it and look pretty good now. My question is what should I fertilize with? And is it too late in the season to do it? They get full sun in an old wood yard and the area gets a good amount of rain.

Antman

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Helping the apple trees along ,,,
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »
from the land of apples.
from university https://extension.wsu.edu/chelan-douglas/agriculture/treefruit/horticulture/fertapplicationtiming/

I've used fertilizer spikes.hammer them in at drip line.
also fish fertilizer. in drip bucket placed at drip line of tree.
you can shovel a light layer of compost under tree,to add micro nutrients to the soil.
I've also made a circular compost pile around tree to help keep it moist and decompose right over the roots. cuts down on weed growth under the tree.

Offline Antman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 03:46:56 PM »
Bolomark,   thanks for the reply ,  sounds like what i had in mind. i think we used the spikes early on, and the fish fertilizer once or twice,, how do you set up the drip bucket? Like how long for a gallon to drip ?

thanks ,]

Antman

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 04:05:53 PM »
I use 1/2 gall per hour drip emitters(Rain-bird style) attached to  a five gallon bucket and set it under the tree canopy.
I also use a 55 gal. blue barrel with a spigot and a battery operated sprinkler time and spaghetti tubing to 1 gallon per hour emitters, timed to turn on and of at night. so you don't get large evaporation loss, work good with transplants.then top it off every couple of weeks. Can be used on multiple trees.
around here when they do river bank restoration they use basically the same thing but with a 500 gal.poly tank that a water truck fills up every week.