Author Topic: Have too many Egyptian walking onions  (Read 412 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Have too many Egyptian walking onions
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
I started growing these Egyptian onions in 2013 when I bought this house. They are great for providing cover for other plants so things don’t dry out from too much sun as they come up very early and grow big. I have them in several beds and started growing them outside my fenced area as well because rabbits and woodchucks won’t eat them. It’s getting to the point were I have quite a bit too many this year and need to thin them out so other stuff can grow and get more sun. If anyone wants some I can dig up some bulbs and send them in the mail for trade or just to get rid of. I just planted a few in pots to give to some friends. I will also have a gazzilion bulbletts for planting by late summer or early fall as well.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Have too many Egyptian walking onions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:23:56 PM »
Nice, time to make soup. Another thing you can do is cook up a bunch of them, carmelize them in a cast iron pan in oil or butter, then you can divide that up and freeze. This was when you are in a hurry, you can thaw some out to add to your meal.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 04:53:51 AM »
  I also find it interesting that too much of an edible is a problem. Onion is healthy and cooks well with most any meal...even when batter dipped and fried as a side dish. Goes good with duck,chicken,most any fish,possum,squirrel,armadillo,and yes even cat (tastes like mild pork)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
Surf... can't take you up on the offer this year, but maybe next year if you have the same problem? Thanks very much!

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »
Carl
  To miss quote ALF " So many cats so few recipes. "

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
Carl
  To miss quote ALF " So many cats so few recipes. "

I have ,on rare occasion,actually eaten cat....and I did not know what it was before I ate it ....but meat is meat and most any meat is edible in extreme times. I would not plan to consume what qualifies as a pet to many and don't want haters after me . I however ,have seen people starving with food just crawling all about their camp.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »
With some good bone stock, maybe leeks & garlic, good bread, and Gruyere you have almost endless French onion soup, one of my favorite foods. It's simple, easily frozen, and such a treat. I don't serve it with wine, however, as I find an English bitter or a Belgian saison pair better depending on my mood. You can even use it as a frozen base to make a soup of fresh veggies later in the year.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 08:32:23 PM »
With some good bone stock, maybe leeks & garlic, good bread, and Gruyere you have almost endless French onion soup, one of my favorite foods. It's simple, easily frozen, and such a treat. I don't serve it with wine, however, as I find an English bitter or a Belgian saison pair better depending on my mood. You can even use it as a frozen base to make a soup of fresh veggies later in the year.

I have pressure canned french onion soup, it was good when  opened months later. Freezing would be easier