Author Topic: Where to get canning jars  (Read 28133 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Where to get canning jars
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2018, 08:11:03 AM »
Jar hoarders I tell ya, ya'll are................ :facepalm:

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 10:59:32 AM »
I've discovered that you really need to pay attention when looking at new canning jars listed for a low price. I saw on one website and in Walmart pints and quarts priced about half normal. Taking a closer look in was boxes of 6 jars not 12 so no savings. Folks playing games.

Also on one website it was unclear if Anchor Hocking canning jars came with lids and bands, no mention of them as it is with Ball and Kerr. AH jars I bought at WM had lids and bands.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
They must be doing the candy bar/graham cracker thing.
Raise price.
Cut product.
Announce sale.  ???

I scored some more older lids off Ebay. Total 336 lids, mostly WM, for 35 and change.
About .10 per lid, which included shipping.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2018, 05:18:50 PM »
 8)

Ordered 20 boxes RM from Wally's today. Checked a couple places and WM beat them buy a few cents. $46.30 TTL. Free shipping. You might ask why didn't I drive 2.5 miles to the store and get them. #1 I hate going in there #2 there normally isn't that many boxes on the shelf. #3 I don't need them anytime soon.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2018, 01:28:16 PM »
Red, are they charging the same amount of taxes on the internet order as the store?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »
I had a long reply written and hit the wrong button. In short yes. Internet orders get charged local taxes. WM I go to is in a different county but tax is the same as county I live in. I'm in a corner here, three counties, sometimes they ask you what county you live in.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2018, 04:57:03 AM »
Have you guys ever bought jars from Dollar General? It’s their own brand, something or other harvest.  I don’t like their flat lids but the glass jars are fine and last year were cheaper than WM.  But they only get them in once or twice & then they are gone for the year...

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2018, 05:53:44 AM »
Have you had any more breakage or failure than regular Ball jars? I know some had complained of this problem with WM's Golden Harvest brand.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2018, 06:43:37 AM »
I have one box of Golden Harvest pints I got at WM many years ago. I used them some for waterbath canning, lately they get indiscriminately mixed in with Ball and Kerr jars for pressure canning. I haven't had any failures with them. Here is a link about these jars. A Newell corp. bought Heathmark and Jarden in 2016, they also own Bernardin brand. Sort of interesting. FWIW

http://www.healthycanning.com/golden-harvest-mason-jars/

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2018, 07:09:22 AM »
I've also used GH and had no issues, but others complained of breakage, particularly with pressure canning, I believe.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »
I've got numerous GH jars, mainly quarts I've picked up here and there. And, 3? years ago we went to our local and loaded a cart full, then found out it was 50% off day. We should have went back in and did it again.
Never noticed any breakage problems. Only broke one in the canner in the last 3-4 years I think, and don't remember which brand it was.
Haven't had any GH lid failures that were on the radar, except for WM's pos Mainstay lids. I won't buy those again.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2018, 09:39:57 AM »
I had a long reply written and hit the wrong button. In short yes. Internet orders get charged local taxes. WM I go to is in a different county but tax is the same as county I live in. I'm in a corner here, three counties, sometimes they ask you what county you live in.

If I order on walmarts website, I also get charged sales tax. But it's way less than the 7.8% tax we get charged when we shop in town.
Maybe because the web items are coming out of Arkansas into MO.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
WM I'm pretty sure has a warehouse or two in Houston. I've noticed a lot of my Amazon orders either coming direct out of their Humble, Tx facility or being shipped to there and then to me.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
There's one in Caney, off of I-45, not far from you. Well........not far for Texas.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
Found this on their New Caney website. Sounds typical WM customer service.

Questions & answers

Ask a question
Q: After driving 1320 in 20 hours, I was told I was late 30 minutes ... 4 hours later and still waiting to be unloaded... Punishing drivers...? With all the stuff drivers have to deal with .. Blizzard... cops.. 4 wheelers .. traffic.. Lack of proper rest ... Punished for being 30 minutes late. . Wow !!! ...8 hours later they made their point Valentino (warehouse manager) and Marisela (window lady)... you made your point... whatever point that is We truckers have families too, we are all trying to take care of our families and make it home safe and spend the most time with our loved ones.

A: Sorry driver , hope it gets better for you..

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »
Walmart warehouses are known for that. 1 hour late, and they tell you to come back in 24 hours to unload.
Depending on the manager, if you know you will be late, you can call ahead and get rescheduled by a couple of hours.