Author Topic: BBQ baked bean recipe  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
BBQ baked bean recipe
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:20:03 PM »
I'm thinking I want to try bbq baked beans. Anyone have a great, fart passing recipe?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: BBQ baked bean recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »
Is this one thing,or two that you are looking for?

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »
I am a man in love with Louisiana cooking. It helps I'm married to a woman who also feels the same way. As such I will tell you that the best "baked beans" still pale compared to a good red beans with rice. You're going to soak beans (I secretly love 15 bean soup bags) and add andoullie sausage and leftover smoked pork. Move from there. You're not wrong by adding brown sugar, vinegar, or heat. There's no wrong way. My wife craves a fried crawfish on top and I prefer spicy bourbon BBQ shrimp. But the beans and rice themselves are a meal you won't regret.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/05/new-orleans-style-red-beans-rice-recipe.html

Try that with a couple Southern Comfort hurricanes on the back porch and life has a new meaning.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
Is this one thing,or two that you are looking for?

One

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 10:01:48 PM »
I am a man in love with Louisiana cooking. It helps I'm married to a woman who also feels the same way. As such I will tell you that the best "baked beans" still pale compared to a good red beans with rice. You're going to soak beans (I secretly love 15 bean soup bags) and add andoullie sausage and leftover smoked pork. Move from there. You're not wrong by adding brown sugar, vinegar, or heat. There's no wrong way. My wife craves a fried crawfish on top and I prefer spicy bourbon BBQ shrimp. But the beans and rice themselves are a meal you won't regret.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/05/new-orleans-style-red-beans-rice-recipe.html

Try that with a couple Southern Comfort hurricanes on the back porch and life has a new meaning.

Sounds great David. Thanks.

We have the 15 bean bags and our own home sausage.

I'll ck the link and maybe try the rice.  ;)

A few weeks ago I built a meatloaf and smoked it on the grill.
Out of the blue I mixed a mouth puckering topping for it.
It was puckering at the taste test, but not after it was applied to the loaf.

I'm thinking maybe that mix might go with da beans.
As a sample....
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup kraft honey barbecue sauce
2 heaping tablespoons of dark brown sugar.

Most baked beans are based on navy beans, correct?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 01:41:27 AM »
I've been thinking of making the baked beans I have been making with my BBQ sauce as the cooking liquid. Would probably take some modification to the existing bean recipe. Got too much going on just now to do it though.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 03:18:26 AM »

I do like red kidney beans but they don't fly around here so I have to use pintos. For the rice I like Chef Paul Prudhomme's basic cooked rice though we usually have plain white basmati rice with the beans

https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_14/2009/DEC/34588.html

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 05:14:25 AM »
I've been thinking of making the baked beans I have been making with my BBQ sauce as the cooking liquid. Would probably take some modification to the existing bean recipe. Got too much going on just now to do it though.

Hmmm  8)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 05:30:00 AM »
I got in touch with my buddy Keith who always makes "baked beans" for the cabin in his grandmother's Griswold dutch oven (I am always threatening to steal). His advice is as follows:

Use the 15 beans. The flavor is better and the different texture is a plus.

Use your aromatics. There's no wrong one here. Onion and celery are gimmies but both carrots and peppers can be added.

Add as much smoked pork as you can. Bacon, sausage, anything. The more the better.

Use a good stock to cook in. Insread of bland water add at least a can of chicken broth.

For final flavoring it's just fine to stir in ketchup or BBQ sauce but to really hit that smoky/sweet/sour palate Keith suggests adding some molasses and lemon juice to round it out.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 05:37:50 AM »
I got in touch with my buddy Keith who always makes "baked beans" for the cabin in his grandmother's Griswold dutch oven (I am always threatening to steal). His advice is as follows:

Use the 15 beans. The flavor is better and the different texture is a plus.

Use your aromatics. There's no wrong one here. Onion and celery are gimmies but both carrots and peppers can be added.

Add as much smoked pork as you can. Bacon, sausage, anything. The more the better.

Use a good stock to cook in. Insread of bland water add at least a can of chicken broth.

For final flavoring it's just fine to stir in ketchup or BBQ sauce but to really hit that smoky/sweet/sour palate Keith suggests adding some molasses and lemon juice to round it out.

Hmm, have to try the 15 bean thing. I use aromatics, chicken broth and molasses. My BBQ sauce has ketchup, molasses and brown sugar.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 06:49:40 AM »
I do love bbq beans.  The ingredients I use for “quick and easy” beans are bacon, onion, brown sugar, ketchup, and dry mustard.  Red pepper, salt, and anything else you like can be added as well.  I make my own ketchup (really a relish since I don’t strain it).

I also like New England style beans.  I use salt pork/hock/jowl for that plus molasses, maple syrup, vinegar, and dried mustard (no ketchup).

Talking here about the chicken stock got me wondering what would happen with the flavor if I boiled and soaked the beans in that instead of water?  Anybody do that?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 07:39:59 AM »

Talking here about the chicken stock got me wondering what would happen with the flavor if I boiled and soaked the beans in that instead of water?  Anybody do that?

I can't speak to navy beans but my pintos I usually use a commercial chicken stock from start to finish. I don't do a most recommend I just put the dry beans in the stock and start heating to a simmer, when they begin to soften I add the seasonings and stock as needed. I may even add some Knorr chicken bouillon also.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 03:51:00 PM »
Great ideas coming up here.  ;D
David thanks. I'll print that info.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 05:33:56 AM »
  Here is a cookbook I refer to from time to time:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=192vKgJG52TBgPU4rP7EXOOfdcHFMVKKb

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 05:59:58 AM »
Table of contents looks interesting. I'm having trouble opening the rest, even using Chrome and my Google account, very slow to load. I'll try again later.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 06:04:12 AM »
Table of contents looks interesting. I'm having trouble opening the rest, even using Chrome and my Google account, very slow to load. I'll try again later.

It is safe to download to your drive and opens faster that way as it is 968K file ,so not very large to download.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 07:00:34 AM »
I haven't looked at that drive before even though I have a Google account. Downloaded the PDF without realizing it. Doesn't give a way to jump to a specific page. Maybe I'm missing something.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »

I keep fiddling with the original Alton Brown's baked beans.  For me it does turn out well.

Twist to Alton Brown’s classic baked beans. 
Ingredients

1-2 pound dried Great Northern beans, I prefer navy white beans and use 4-8 cups.
1 pound bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped (Use one large sweet onion)
2 jalapenos, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup tomato paste (Replaced with ketchup)
1/4 – 1/3 cup dark brown sugar (I use 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup molasses (I prefer good maple syrup)
Vegetable broth (or water) if needed
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
¼ cup of good spicy brown mustard (optional)

No lodge Dutch oven option: 
Currently I don’t have a good Dutch oven and my lodge pans are not suitable (non-sealing lid) for making baked beans.  So I use a ceramic bean pot that work quite well.  For the most part the amount of beans needed is really dependent on the size of pot used in the baking the beans. 

Directions

Soak beans in a plastic container overnight with at least 2” of cold water to submerge them completely.  If the top layer of beans has dried out, add additional water and soak for additional 8 hrs.  If time is ‘short’; use the rapid method to soak the beans at the end of this recipe.

Heat oven to 250 degrees F.

Place a cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat and stir in the bacon, onion, and jalapenos until enough fat has rendered from the bacon to soften the onions, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste (ketchup), dark brown sugar and molasses (maple syrup) and optional mustard.  Once mixture is heated up; stir in remaining dry spices; stir a few times and take mixture off the stove.   This sauce will be used in between layers of beans in the Dutch oven or bean pot. 

In the Dutch oven or bean pot make a layer of beans followed by a layer of bacon/onion mixture.  Build up layer by layer in the cooking bowl until about ½ way thru.  At this point add additional slices of bacon.  Resume filling up the bowl keeping the final layer with beans.  Add the 4 cups of bean water; add more if fluid does cover the bean mixture.   Place lid on bowl making sure that the outside of the bean pot is clean.  If I have any extra uncooked bacon I will had one or two slices between layers of beans and the bacon onion mixture. 

Place the Dutch oven in the oven for 6 to 8 hours, or until the beans are tender.

One method to help speed up the baking of the beans is to adjust the oven temp approx. ½ way thru the baking session to 300 degrees. 

At high altitude I start the taste testing about hour 4 of the baking time.   About once each hour I will start to test the mixture to determine if the beans have been fully cooked and the texture is acceptable.  Depending on soaking method the total baking time can significantly vary. 

Once the bean mixture is fully cooked, take out of the oven and let it rest until ready to server. 

Note: The bean mixture will have an extra bit of fluid on top, but this fluid will be slowly absorbed by the bean mixture in another 6 hrs.

This version will be slightly sweet and have a bit of a bite due to the peppers used.  The bean mixture works well served cold to hot as a savory part of any meal.  Minor adjustments can be performed by added a bit of pepper, brown sugar or even ketchup to adjust the sweetness of the mixture.

Quick “soak” beans:  Add nothing to the water, esp salt

Using quick soak methods for the baked beans can be used to reduce total time in the oven.    Place beans in a pot; bring up to a quick boil and soak for 2 hrs.  Rinse beans add fresh water and cook for 30 mins.  This method should produce a somewhat softer bean in the final baking session.  At this time the beans are considered “soaked” and should produce a somewhat softer bean in the final product.  This method may reduce the overall baking time in the oven. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 04:24:26 PM »
I haven't looked at that drive before even though I have a Google account. Downloaded the PDF without realizing it. Doesn't give a way to jump to a specific page. Maybe I'm missing something.

It is an old file and may not just 'jump' ,I thought it was just my old version of adobe that was not working right...It was a web page origionally....before I downloaded it as a PDF.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 07:02:38 PM »
Not to worry. It can be handled.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
I keep fiddling with the original Alton Brown's baked beans.  For me it does turn out well.

Twist to Alton Brown’s classic baked beans. 

Thanks. Saved

Steve