Author Topic: Black Rice Bread (bread machine recipe)  (Read 721 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Black Rice Bread (bread machine recipe)
« on: June 23, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »
My doctor told me to cut back on starch, so I bought a bread machine and made purple bread.

Why? Because I'm looking for breads with extra fiber and extra protein. I'm not ready to drop bread from my diet yet, but I figure I can do better than what's available in the grocery store.

Okay, it's not quite purple, but it's purple-ISH. This is essentially a white bread recipe, with the addition of precooked black rice and pea protein powder.

I have a Zojirushi Virtuoso BB-PAC20 breadmaker. This recipe ought to work unchanged with the newer Virtuoso Plus BB-PDC20, the older Supreme BB-CEC-20, and (with luck) with any 2-pound bread machine.

The Zojirushi machines have a convenient "Jam" cycle. Yes, we're going to cook the black rice in the bread machine!

¼ cup black rice (rinsed in strainer)
    1½ cups water

Put the ingredients in the baking pan and run on "Jam" cycle (1h20m). (If you don't have a "Jam" cycle, just heat it at not-quite-boiling in a covered pot on the stove, with occasional stirring.) Don't expect all the water to be absorbed.

When done, drain the rice through a sieve into a measuring cup. You'll probably have about ⅜ cup of purple liquid left; we'll include that in the bread ingredients.

Add to the baking pan:

The cooked black rice
    1¼ cups water (total, including the drained rice water)
    1½ teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon sugar

Add the dry ingredients on top:

4 cups white bread flour
    ¼ cup pea protein powder
    2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast (on the very top so it doesn't get wet prematurely)

Run on the "Basic/Regular" cycle, crust darkness "Medium" (3h25m). (If you have a different brand of breadmaker, try the standard "White Bread" cycle.) The dough might look a little dry at the start of kneading, but as the rice grains get broken up, they will release more moisture.

Enjoy!

Stolen from my blog: Bread machine recipe: Black Rice Bread

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: Black Rice Bread (bread machine recipe)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:49:58 AM »
Sounds good.  Is black rice the same thing as wild rice?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:26:39 AM »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
Yeah, it's Forbidden Rice if you buy an expensive tiny package at a health food store, or Black Rice if you buy a cheap 5 lb bag at an Oriental grocery. ;D

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
I ate last night at a friend's house and they are going gluten, grain, and sugar free to be more healthy. I was introduced to "broccoli bread" which isn't half bad. Found something close to give an idea here....

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a20720559/best-broccoli-cheesy-bread-recipe/

It yielded a funny conversation. I am dedicating myself to French and Italian bread baking which requires a long ferment with a slack dough and I am using poolishes, bigas, and naturally fermented levain doughs. I'm not on board to give up wheat but the old European bakers value what they call "digestability" which comes from a very full ferment of the dough. The irony is that both camps agree: Wonderbread is not good.

Offline ZackSurvival

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
Looks good and healthy, probably I am going to try this recipe soon because I am looking for some receipt with fiber and low carbohydrates.