Author Topic: Maybe I am doing it wrong? Emergency food storage  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Maybe I am doing it wrong? Emergency food storage
« on: June 29, 2018, 06:31:36 AM »
  I store some food for emergency use and get thoughts of inadequacy from time to time....I don't store low calorie or 'balanced' meals as I have high carb basics and high calorie ,easy to store foods. While I have a couple of years worth of the high calorie basics and do eat from this stock from time to time,I rarely eat 'correctly' from my storage....is it wrong to store high carb,high calorie foods in such an imbalance?  I have long and medium storage foods,canned,freeze dried,and even dry goods like pastas,rice,potatoes....just my storage has little of the low calorie stuff to complete  the food pyramid,little balance...though I do eat vegetables,I grow or purchase the stuff as needed....not a part of my storage though...I have thoughts that I might actually need some low calorie stuff for balance ...looking for opinions and asking if any others by-pass low calorie storage...

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Maybe I am doing it wrong? Emergency food storage
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »
Carl you've mentioned in the past that chemo takes a pretty good toll on the body. I'm not a dietician but I'd say you probably need some balance but also the high carb/high calorie stuff in view of the chemo. I'd suggest talking with your doctor or dietician.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
You should add a few things, most likely.

Dehydrated carrots and onions in #10 cans are fantastic.  I cooked one winter at home using an open can of each to try it out.  Soak in water and they rehydrate like fresh, onion smell, carrots are still crisp.  I do not like canned carrots, but I like rehydrated dried carrots.  A very small amount of carrots will get your daily requirement of vitamin A.  I have also tried out and worked with dried tomato powder, which is also great, although if you have enough canned to tomato products you rotate you do not have to have this. 

UC davis just released a study where they found that canned fruits and vegetables were usually just as nutritious and fresh ( as our fresh is often not picked that minute) and frozen.  so if you are rotating thru a years supply of canned tomatoes, peaches and apricots you would be getting some vit C foods, and it would make meals more interesting.

But, since I dont normally go thru that much canned fruits and vegtables in a regular year, I do have some LTS fruits and veg, for variety.  I added a few later, not in initial storage.  My initial LTS has dehydrated onions, carrots and tomato powder and dehydrated apple slices, and potato flakes.  I calculated  how much of these were needed to makes meal.  Only the carrots and tomato powder have real vitamin content, but the others make it so the food is good.  Later, now and then when there was a sale, I have added a few other things.  6 freeze dried cans of other fruits ( blackberry and something else), dehydrated bell pepper, which adds alot of flavor and has vit C, a few cans of misc vegetables, not very much realy as freeze dried vegtables are expensive, but a few cans ( one brocolli, one green bean, one corn...) means now and then if living off of storage some variety can happen.  Eventually I added a bucket of soup mix vegetables, which is dehydrated cabbage, onion, potato, maybe something else. 

I also store red feather canned butter, quite a bit, as butter is good and makes everything better
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:04:49 AM by mountainmoma »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
  I do ,in normal times,have a varied diet....it is my long term storage that is more calorie dense and lacks the vegetables....though this is not hard to fix with a few number 10 cans. I also read where others are looking into MEAL in a JAR,where they pre-make meals and this concept is also interesting to me though the labor of preparation is likely beyond me.

Peppers,carrots,onions,berries,and bananas are on my sale watch list ....

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
The blackberries I have are freeze dried, and while I have never tried them, to get the case sale price, I split the case with a friend, and she is not a food storage person, she used them for snacks for the kids and said they were very good.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 05:28:08 PM »
Excellent sale watch list Carl. I do similar. Meal in a Jar may be good, I'm looking at it and there are several books available on Amazon and/or elsewhere. I don't know how well it stores and I haven't looked at it enough to find that info.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 05:43:07 PM »
Excellent sale watch list Carl. I do similar. Meal in a Jar may be good, I'm looking at it and there are several books available on Amazon and/or elsewhere. I don't know how well it stores and I haven't looked at it enough to find that info.

The continuous rotation and convenience of the MEAL IN A JAR concept is a bit beyond my current ability,so I must purchase such pre-made meals and honestly have only planned calorie dense edibles for my survival needs as I realistically will not last long without my cancer treatments that ,so far,only slows down the progression of the cancers in me and shows no sign of stopping the disease. But I can still add some freeze dried vegetables to my stores and have some variety in my flavors while I wait for what the future is to bring. I beat death every day that I wake up and spend much of my waking day in a near constant fight as I know,more than most,that life is a gift and I plan to fight for every last minute I can get . ( sorry,I am having a rough time these last 2 weeks)

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 08:35:39 PM »
The continuous rotation and convenience of the MEAL IN A JAR concept is a bit beyond my current ability,so I must purchase such pre-made meals and honestly have only planned calorie dense edibles for my survival needs as I realistically will not last long without my cancer treatments that ,so far,only slows down the progression of the cancers in me and shows no sign of stopping the disease. But I can still add some freeze dried vegetables to my stores and have some variety in my flavors while I wait for what the future is to bring. I beat death every day that I wake up and spend much of my waking day in a near constant fight as I know,more than most,that life is a gift and I plan to fight for every last minute I can get . ( sorry,I am having a rough time these last 2 weeks)
Carl, I believe that you are thinking clearly and planning well in spite of your setbacks.  Keep fighting as long as you can.  There may be another treatment in development that will be more deadly to the cancer and less toxic to you.  Thinking of you.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
Sorry it has been a long week Carl !

If you are going to be low energy and have to eat in an emergency, consider a blend like this, I have one #10can of emergency essentials version of this in my pantry, and then a 5 gallon bucket of the augeson in the LTS.

One 1/4 cup (dry) serving of this mix is .30 at regular price, and maybe you can catch a sale and one serving is 70%vit C and 50%vit A

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-Vegetable-Stew-Blend-2-lbs-5-oz-No-10-Can/21777152

thread from when I bought it, it may have gone up, but last year I bought the bucket for $69, which I believe was enough for one serving a day for one person for a year http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=56875.msg666289#new
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:07:16 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 04:52:43 AM »
If finances & room allow, adding LTS vegetables would be a good idea.  You could go the inexpensive route (assuming you have a dehydrator or can borrow one) and just dehydrate bags of frozen mixed vegetables then either vacuum seal them in jars or store them in Mylar (although dehydrated things tend to have pointy edges).  Another option is to purchase a few big cans of dehydrated or freeze dried veg to round things out, professionally packaged, and set them in LTS & forget them (ie don’t rotate through).

Regardless, you may want to (if you haven’t) stock up on a year or two supply of a multivitamin to round out your vitamin profile until you figure it all out.  And possibly some big jars of metimucil or other fiber supplement.  You can grab those pretty cheaply & quickly and it should help even things out a bit.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 05:18:16 AM »
my lts is veggie lite as well...I think in a disaster, we will be less concerned with the food pyramid than just keeping body and soul together.

I pray your treatments work, Carl.  My son has a very rare lymphoma and it's miserable watching him go thru it.  *hugs*

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 05:33:33 AM »
Dried veggies in #10 cans have been mentioned. If you can repackage you stand to save a lot of money. For instance I just purchased a 20lb. bag of dried green peas. Less that $30, the price has gone up since I bought but still check this out.

$1.80/lb.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Whole-Kosher-Food-Live/dp/B00L0MAMBE/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1533727423&sr=8-4&keywords=dried+green+peas+20lb

$17.55/lb

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Freeze-Dried-Peas/dp/B0096G53P6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1533727796&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Augason+farms+green+peas

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »
Dried veggies in #10 cans have been mentioned. If you can repackage you stand to save a lot of money. For instance I just purchased a 20lb. bag of dried green peas. Less that $30, the price has gone up since I bought but still check this out.

$1.80/lb.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Whole-Kosher-Food-Live/dp/B00L0MAMBE/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1533727423&sr=8-4&keywords=dried+green+peas+20lb

$17.55/lb

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Freeze-Dried-Peas/dp/B0096G53P6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1533727796&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Augason+farms+green+peas

Aren't these 2 separate forms of peas ? Have you tried the one in the first link ? Looks to me like the first link is for dried, whole peas, meaning peas like we use for split peas, but not split, like dried beans. Not being split means they can also be used for sprouting.  I know the Augason ones are green peas, immature, like we eat fresh, that have been freeze dried. 

So, I know that you can get dried, whole peas for way less than $1.80 a pound but that goes in the dried legume category of food storage. 

like this, from Azure, freeze dried peas ( so green peas for fresh eating ) $12-$13/pound   https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/food/dehydrated-foods/dehydrated-vegetables/peas/freeze-dried/peas-freeze-dried/9848?package=HS265#!

as opposed to this, dried whole green peas, .75/pound https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/food/beans-peas/peas/green-whole/dry/peas-green-whole/9851?package=BE032 

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
I haven't tried either MM. I plant to use them for sprouting and rehydrating for other dishes. I didn't know there was a difference between the two. Thanks for the info.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 10:18:54 AM »
I haven't tried either MM. I plant to use them for sprouting and rehydrating for other dishes. I didn't know there was a difference between the two. Thanks for the info.

yes, you should pay less than $1.80/lb for dried whole peas.   They are great to have in storage though.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 04:20:21 PM »
yes, you should pay less than $1.80/lb for dried whole peas.   They are great to have in storage though.

Actually I did pay less. The price I showed is apparently the new price. The bag I bought was $24.xx, last one. They raised the price it seems. This was Amazon, I didn't try to find them elsewhere. I looked at the prices in your links. Even at the price I paid it was more. I've checked the Azure routes in the past and there are one or two that come to the Houston, Tx area but the drop offs are 30 to 50 miles from me. A bit far for one or two items IMO..

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »
Actually I did pay less. The price I showed is apparently the new price. The bag I bought was $24.xx, last one. They raised the price it seems. This was Amazon, I didn't try to find them elsewhere. I looked at the prices in your links. Even at the price I paid it was more. I've checked the Azure routes in the past and there are one or two that come to the Houston, Tx area but the drop offs are 30 to 50 miles from me. A bit far for one or two items IMO..

Oh, yeah, using Azure is not for every location.  It is an easy link to show items and prices as I am familiar with it. It should be a normal item at many stores, but I do not know stores in your area. Out here, stores that sell bulk will order you a full bag ( 25 lbs usually) at a discount, and there are quite a few stores that sell bulk, but that may not be the case in your area.