Author Topic: great low flow shower head  (Read 463 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
great low flow shower head
« on: July 01, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »
I needed a new shower head fixture, as most are junk these days and dont last.  I also live in an area suffering from drought and have my own, low performing well, so I always need to conserve water.

Went to Home Depot, saw a bunch of stuff, most of it ugly, since when do people want shower heads that look like hub caps ?  Even the Grohe handheld was just chromed plastic, like the others. 

Did some research and bought from here.  All metal, different orifice design that wont clog ( a concern for an old house with galvanized water pipes and sediment in the water), and 1.5gpm and made in California

Not only have I been using it, but college student home for the summer has no complaints either. Best water feel from a low flow shower head, and living in drought central, I have used quite a few.  I also like the water shut off button by the shower head, not only to turn off the flow when soaping up in the summer if water is especially low, but it is convenient for adjusting how much flow compared to reaching down to use the mixing valve handle which can change your temp while you are only trying to turn the volume down.

http://www.highsierrashowerheads.com/

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: great low flow shower head
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 10:27:07 AM »
  You might already know this but a 15 minute soak of the shower head or aireator screen in white vinegar will remove most any 'hard water' buildup and make most shower heads like new again. The suggested product looks great to me also as too much plumbing is plastic these days.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: great low flow shower head
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
  You might already know this but a 15 minute soak of the shower head or aireator screen in white vinegar will remove most any 'hard water' buildup and make most shower heads like new again. The suggested product looks great to me also as too much plumbing is plastic these days.

for sure on the vinegar, even these metal ones will now and then need some vinegar. The usual newer shower heads actually break here, the new ones, the connecting part, as they are plastic.

This shower head I linked to would be good for people bug out cabin and such as it works with low water pressure, although I have not personally tested that yet, I will in a few months when the downstairs shower ever gets fixed and done.  And, you can take a shower with 5 gallons of heated water