Author Topic: peach tree  (Read 418 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
peach tree
« on: July 01, 2018, 07:26:45 PM »
 I have one medium sized peach tree that I planted 5 years ago or so. It is probably around 9 feet tall. It was doing good, but there are so many unripe peaches on it that I noticed the branches are heavily laden and sagging all over the place. Two of the branches broke from having too many peaches so I cut them off. The main branch going up was leaning way badly over so I used a bungy cord to straighten it up for now. Should I be pruning the tree or what is the answer ?

Of all the things I have planted, the peaches have done the best. I have one smaller tree maybe 1/2 that size and a tiny one. Some of the others peach seedlings died except there are leaves down near the ground below were the splice seems to be were it was grafted so those are probably no good ?

I figured I should plant more peach trees since they do well. My neighbor had a peach tree but hurricane sandy killed it. That's another reason I should plant many and not just have two or three. 

I just bought another peach tree at the nursery for $72. It's probably not the best time to plant them this late but I may give it a shot. I preferred planting seedlings so I don't have to dig as big a hole, but many of those didn't do well or they need more care.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: peach tree
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:50:18 AM »
Yes, prune it. Lots of different ideas on how but it shouldn't be weighing itself down that much. Good luck. Squirrels and ants got everything last year.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:55:19 AM »
I'd start with thinning the harvest on the weak branches for now.  Then prune in the winter.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 06:45:37 AM »
I had to net mine because the squirrels ate all the green peaches last year .  It’s only 4 years old so I’m far from an expert, but from what I’ve read it’s best to prune in the dead of winter when sap is not running at all in order to minimize the chance of disease getting in.  Pruning is good because fruit is only born on second year wood-so you sort of need it to be constantly putting out new fruiting wood by pruning it.  Watch some videos, a good pruning looks frighteningly drastic.

The fruit should be thinned to prevent the limbs from breaking and to have fewer but bigger fruit.  I’ve seen different recommendations—some day they should be 4-6 inches apart, others 6-8.  I did mine 4 or so—we’ll see how it does...

Good luck!