Author Topic: AA Battery chargers  (Read 593 times)

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
AA Battery chargers
« on: July 06, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
Hi All

I was wondering what you guys like for AA battery chargers?
Preferrably ones that could be run off 12 volt batteries or solar.
Thank you All
Kid Couteau

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: AA Battery chargers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:41:44 PM »
  It is my opinion that LA CROSSE makes the best of the smart AA charger/testers for batteries and I like the BC-700 though now an improved version is being made. Below are links to various AA chargers that run from 12 volt solar at my home and BOL...they all do a good job though some can do more and give more data and detail than others....Criteria I look for in a charger besides the size battery is that FOR AA CHARGERS: 300 to 500 milliamp charge rate and INDIVIDUAL (one at a time charging...not charge in pairs...links below are all workable ,reliable chargers

BEST:
  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GODG3X0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The REST (all good):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZD7XVV/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DFTXKD/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I must add that a lot depends on the choice of battery you use ...My suggestion ,with over 10 years in use is the ENELOOP...now with a different manufacturer and a third generation...I like them BEST and TENERGY is a close second though they tend to self discharge faster than the ENELOOP AA and AAA cells...I use TENERGY "D" cells for some radios and lights and a radio will run 10 hours a day for a month while the lights usually get charged every two weeks . A quick search of ENELOOP will find results from myself and others in TSP forum ( tip: search from HOME to get complete search of the forum

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »
Thanks Carl
Yeah Steven Harris likes the Eneloop as well.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
I like the Maha Powerex WizardOne MH-C9000.  It’s bigger than the La Crosse but the settings menu is more intuitive, so I wind up using it the most.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
Thanks Carl
Yeah Steven Harris likes the Eneloop as well.

With the Low Self Discharge of the ENELOOP,I find them economical when compared to alkaline and 'dry' cells as I even use the ENELOOP's in wall clocks and remote controls now as a real benefit....I have yet to have an ENELOOP cell leak in a device ...EXCEPT for when lightening caused a failure in a BC-700 and I neglected it for some 3 weeks...story and fotos in the forum.

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 06:32:12 PM »
Non-fancy (but solid) Maha/Powerex chargers run on 12v and can be found for $2 at garage sales and thrift stores around the nation.  Keep your eyes peeled!   They charge at the recommended 500mAh rate.  People have dumped them for fancier models.

Might help to show the spouse  a pic of one and say "BOLO for one of these for less than $5".    I showed my wife a pic of an Excalibur dehydrator and about a year later she found one at a church garage sale for something insane like $10.  Yes, please!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 06:26:20 AM »
  I like the BC-700 and it's family members as the readout and repair cycles are pretty cool but most any charger that charges each cell at 200 to 500 Milli Amp of current is acceptable ...this equates to a 4 hour to 10 hour charge rate and a cell will get warm to the touch (NOT HOT) when nearing it's fully charged state, even at a low and slow rate of charge. Many chargers will attach to a 12 volt wall transformer with a barrel plug though some do not handle the variance of a battery in use (12 to 15 volts) so I suggest you get a charger with a supplied or available auto adapter or at least one that works with the expected input rather than a stable 12 volts input as one made for automotive use will have regulation built in to the charger.

I use a variable power supply to test such chargers for compatibility and make sure they will remain stable with the range of input available from my solar or automotive inputs. The ones that are not stable are usually 'gifted' to others who don't require such capability.Even some of the lowest cost chargers will surprise you as there is a limited number of circuit boards and IC regulator chips available for manufacturers.

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »
   I use a variable power supply to test such chargers for compatibility and make sure they will remain stable with the range of input available from my solar or automotive inputs.

That's an excellent idea.  I'm going to borrow it.  :-)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 10:47:19 AM »
I will make a different -in principle- suggestion on AA battery chargers.

The new LSD Chemistry  ;D ;D ;D ;D (low self discharge) does NOT like being left on trickle charging.
Problem is that ALL chargers DO trickle charge. So one has to remove the batteries as soon as their are full. (which is a good precaution in general).
The only chargers that do NOT trickle charge are the Eneloop/Panasonic ones, and from these you got to pick the good ones like the  BQ-CC17 Charger.

Now the definite resource is the tests of that danish guy, HKJ.
Drop in to check your shortlist. The devil is in the details (i.e. end of charge current) and HKJ does not miss them.
https://lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers%20UK.html