Author Topic: 3d printing of a firearm - long term case "resolved"  (Read 102 times)

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
3d printing of a firearm - long term case "resolved"
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:49:19 PM »
When the line between the 1st and second amendment merge and you find yourself on the wrong side of an ITAR violation.

I remember when the encryption key was published to allow people who use non-standard OS to watch movies.  Was it a digital rights violation, or an issue of free speech? 

The same issue came up when the plans for the first 3d printed gun was published on the internet.

Five years ago the world’s first fully 3-D-printed gun was fired using a .380 cal round.   The plans were later uploaded the blueprints for the pistol to his website, Defcad.com  This resulted in a 5 year battle, are blueprints weapons or an exercise in free speech?    This is an over simplification of the case; but I rather not quote too much from the story.

More can be found at the link  https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark-legal-shift-opens-pandoras-box-for-diy-guns/

Based on the current affordable 3d printers available on the market, the 3d printed gun or gun part is not much more than a dangerous novelty.   The ability to build your own "gun" from common parts from a hardware has been around for a very long time.  The term "zip gun" I think go's back to the 50's.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:01:36 PM by Bradbn4 »