Author Topic: Kimchi Makers  (Read 428 times)

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
Kimchi Makers
« on: July 14, 2018, 02:52:55 AM »
What sort of container do you ferment your kimchi in? I'm currently looking at this as my previous methods have been not so good. In 1 or 2 gallon size, not sure I'd use it for anything else.

http://crazykoreancooking.com/products/kimchi-fermenter

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: Kimchi Makers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »
I use a 1/2 gallon canning jar with an air lock on top.  It makes a lot of kimchi...  I’ve been very satisfied with the results but only have 2 years experience.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 08:25:53 AM »
I'll take a look at that. Wife and I both like kimchi. Just bought a half gallon jar yesterday, it's half gone today. That's why I'm thinking 1 or 2 gallon size.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
I have a 1 gallon ceramic crock that I use with a ceramic follower and lid. I just pulled a batch of kimchi out a couple of days ago, it turned out great (also made pickles and pickled carrots in it so far this year).

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
Q, do you have a link to that?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 06:22:23 PM »
I got mine locally, here it is on amazon, though the shipping isn't cheap. You also have to buy the follower and lid separately, I think for everything I paid maybe $50-60 total?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 02:02:44 AM »
Thanks Q.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 09:37:17 PM »
I've seen the crocks in a large chain store, I think it was Target, but couldn't swear to it.  It was a "sauerkraut kit"  I have no idea the quality.

I've also seen them at kitchen stores like Kitchen & Co.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »
Just goofing around I found a complete set from ACE hardware for $55, with free in-store pickup (note this is for the 1 gallon size): http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=90117546

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »
Cool. There is a Ace Hardware about a mile from me. I'm acquainted with the owner, I could put in a appearance at his store and make him faint. :rofl:

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 07:43:46 AM »
While rummaging around in a closet I have found a no cost solution. I came across a plastic bread box thing. One half of it will hold 1 1/4 gallons. Going through my wood stash I came up with some 1" think poplar and cut a plug to fit loosely inside the box. That will need a food safe coating. I found a can of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane, that will do it. Now for a weight. A pint jar will fit and when full of water weighs something over 1 1/2 pounds.

Only thing I need to buy is a roll of that foam drawer liner material (cheap) to use as a router mat while I rout round overs on the sides and two holes in the center. Don't know why I put the holes just seemed a thing to do.

I know this container will work because I've used it in the past, just totally forgot about it.  :facepalm: