Author Topic: what is button on AC power cord  (Read 360 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
what is button on AC power cord
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »

What is that button on an air conditioner power cord were it plugs in that is like a breaker but it's not related to the house circuit breaker ?

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: what is button on AC power cord
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:45:03 AM »
Possibly a circuit breaker
Some AC units draw a lot of current so it needs this in case it draws too hard it goes off and then can be reset after it cools down.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:11:03 AM »
Possibly a circuit breaker
Some AC units draw a lot of current so it needs this in case it draws too hard it goes off and then can be reset after it cools down.

It's like a circuit breaker but it is on the chord itself whereas most circuit breakers are part of the house. I am unable to google search it because house circuit breaker keeps coming up in the search results unless it has a specific name that is different ? The one on my mothers AC unit seems to malfunction sometimes, I unplugged the whole thing and plugged it back in and it was fine. The Unit kept going around in circles like it would be powering on, then off and acting weird all by itself without hitting any buttons. It used to trip sometimes but at other times it runs fine for hours. She used to have an old unit it that same spot and I bought a new one a few years ago.

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »
Yup sounds like the built in circuit breaker
If it keeps tripping it COULD mean you either have a problem with the AC unit, the cord itself or the electrical setup in your home.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »
  That breaker/button is called "some ting wrong"

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »
Me thinks that is a GFI breaker . It said I got more power going in than out and must be shorter . Check your condensation drain . Water build up maybe.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
mine has one and the manual says:

The power supply cord contains a current device that senses damage to the power cord. To test
your power supply cord do the following:
Plug in the Air Conditioner.
The power supply cord will have TWO buttons on the plug head. Press the TEST button. You will notice a click as the RESET button pops out.
Press the RESET button. Again you will notice a click as the button engages.
The power supply cord is now supplying electricity to the unit. (This is also indicated by a light on the plug head).
NOTE:
Do not use this device to turn the unit on or off.
Always make sure the RESET button is pushed in for correct operation.
The power supply cord must be replaced if it fails to reset when either the TEST button is pushed,
or it cannot be reset. A new one can be obtained from the product manufacturer.
If power supply cord is damaged, it CANNOT be repaired. It MUST be replaced by one obtained
from the product manufacturer.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 04:00:55 PM »
 My mother thinks the unit does not put water out but I am not sure why that would be. It was acting weird and cycling through states were it kept turning on and off every 10 seconds. I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it was fine to run for 3 hours

- OK so I located a spigot on the outside that had a rubber plug. I removed the rubber plug and some water came out but not very much. Probably that wasn't good

It's an Admiral unit that I probably bought at home depot 3 years ago or more
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:13:34 PM by surfivor »