Author Topic: Creating 1/2 Mile Earthen Barrier - Suggestions welcome  (Read 224 times)

Offline Dallasdaz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Creating 1/2 Mile Earthen Barrier - Suggestions welcome
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:51:49 PM »
I've looked and haven't seen a detailed description of such a thing, so I thought I'd ask on here.
My brother and I have a 40 Acre Lot of primarily undeveloped land in Northern Arizona.  We are putting in fencing for animals and privacy on portions of it but the south boundary and portions of the eastern face dirt roads.
We would like to put in trenching or berms that would make those boundaries inaccessible to all but the most bold 4x4 vehicles.
I'm looking for design ideas.  I know from my own invasive activities that many pits and soil piles can be easily traversed.
Also, I would like suggestions for erosion control and any other thoughts or criticisms of the idea.
Thanks,
Dallas

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Creating 1/2 Mile Earthen Barrier - Suggestions welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »
 I once saw a 4x4 get stuck. The trench was just wide enough so the front and back had a few inch of clearance. They found it after the left the bar. I gave them a ride back to the bar in brought the back of my truck. They should have had their coats with them, I't was cold out. 
  What I'm trying to say is if you use a ditch, don't make it too wide. Just big enough to dump the front end in and leave the rear tires in the air for the big vehicles. five or six feet deep?

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:25:28 AM »
I'd look into making mounds. Make them using hugleculture method where you stack wood, then put dirt on top making a very steep sided mound about 5' high. Then plant them with plants that are going to grow food for you.

http://www.urbaniahoeve.nl/2012/06/hugelbedden-hugelkultur/?lang=en

Offline Dallasdaz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »
Not a bad idea with the mounds but the distance in question would make this impractical.  Further, this is high desert with no nearby forrest so the amount of lumber would be expensive to gather.

Offline Dallasdaz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 05:13:25 PM »
I once saw a 4x4 get stuck. The trench was just wide enough so the front and back had a few inch of clearance. They found it after the left the bar. I gave them a ride back to the bar in brought the back of my truck. They should have had their coats with them, I't was cold out. 
  What I'm trying to say is if you use a ditch, don't make it too wide. Just big enough to dump the front end in and leave the rear tires in the air for the big vehicles. five or six feet deep?

Great advice.  This is a bit counterintuitive but very logical.  Putting the cuttings from the trench on the immediate edge would further reduce the available approach angle.  Thanks.