Author Topic: Large property security  (Read 1148 times)

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
Large property security
« on: July 20, 2018, 07:57:48 AM »
This started as a comment on the blog as a response to a call about large property security, but it ended up being longer than I wanted to post there, so I am posting it here and just putting a link in the comments.

Security on large properties can end up being a never ending headache. But we found that most of the issues will occur where there is road frontage, or where the property shares a property line with rented or leased property, especially hunting leases. Other rural property owners are often dealing with the same issues you are, and therefore tend not to do the same thing to others. Renters of neighboring property, and especially people who have short term hunting leases seem to be a different story. We have even had a guy lease a 10 acre neighboring property, cut our fence and tear down our signs, and then basically charge other people money to hunt part of our place.

Our situation is extreme compared to the callers because it is much larger, 2447ish acres, and split into 4 parts by a highway and 2 secondary roads, and is crossed by 3 different utility right of ways, and has a very irregular property line. This leads to a lot of road frontage, alot of gates, and a lot of neighbors, when compared to the more average squarish properties. The property is used for timber, hay, hunting, and some hobby level crops, though we mostly "farm" deer and turkey. They are much less work and South Carolina's game limits let's us harvest as much deer as our family can eat, and a property this large can handle the harvest.

The biggest points that come to mind are gates, signs, people, trail cams, insurance, and reputation.

As soon as it seems we have one issue taken care of, another pops up, especially in the beginning. We don't own the property, it is a trust which we have a long term signed agreement with the trustee to manage and maintain the property.  The issues we deal with are people dumping trash, trespassing to hunt and fish, road hunters, and vandals. I suspect most of the vandals are people who got mad we ran them off from fishing or hunting.

We go through a lot of trespassing signs because they get torn down, and we put them back up, and we end up patching alot of fence. Vehicle access points have locked gates,  and we make sure gates stay closed and locked. We use combination locks because buying  a sufficient numbers of keyed alike locks  would be very expensive. Not a  big deal if you have 2 or 3 gates, but when you have 21.... We also always return the combination tumblers to a known, but random looking, arrangement so that we can tell if someone has been trying to guess the combination.

We patrol the property at least daily, and have networked with people to just simply be extra eyes. Numerous times a co-worker who simply drives past the property on their way home or to town has called and alerted me to an issue. People fishing one of the ponds, poachers, someone siphoning fuel from a tractor, etc. We have had several fires which were definitely arson. 2 abandoned houses, a stack of hay bales, 2 of our tractors, 1 barn, and about 100 acres of hay field have all been set on fire in the last 5 years. We keep in touch with the local game wardens and make sure they know who is allowed to be on the property. Giving them a key or the combination to the gates and they will ride through instead of just ride by. Having marked law enforcement vehicles seen coming and going, goes a long way.

Sadly, one of the biggest things that has seemed to help, is getting the reputation of being an asshole. Once a few people got arrested, and word got around that people pay attention, are likely to be out and about at any time of the day or night, and you will go to jail if you are caught, or they have to replace all four tires on their atv after running over the homemade spike strip you put where they cut the fence, the incidents gradually dropped to around 20 percent of what they used to be.

The only thing I will add about trail cams is move them around, and come to terms with the fact that they will probably get stolen ar destroyed. Therefore hide the best you can, and use a second or a third camera so that they support one another. That way if one gets found and the person tries to steal or damage it, one of the other cameras can capture footage of it.

The road poachers were the easiest to cut down. We simply let the fence lines grow up along the side roads. When they could no longer shine their spotlights into our fields and shoot, they stopped.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:07:49 AM by trekker111 »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Large property security
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »
sorry about your problems.  good luck. please keep this up to date with your experiences.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Large property security
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 08:08:52 AM »
I have not heard such stories. Probably you just did not have luck with the terrain. Try another place. Although it still depends on what kind of turkey call you use. Many do not harm society. I read a lot [under-the-open-sky.com/best-turkey-call/]here[/url] about them. I think you should do the same thing.

wow - this spam is really crazy!