Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1  (Read 108157 times)

sarahluker

Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1
« Reply #270 on: November 23, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »
Just take some metal, like rebar and grind out a point and attach them to your fence.  It could have a decorative touch, but mainly it would discourage people from climbing over. 

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #271 on: November 23, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »
patrat,

You mean the stringers? The horizontal board connecting the posts that the vertical pickets are on?

I thought about that; the truth is a wooden fence won't keep anyone out that really wants in.  I chose to have the nice looking side facing inside since this is a side border not seen from the road.  The security it provides is really to keep opportunists out and to provide some visual barrier to keep people from getting any ideas they wouldn't come by otherwise.

If you mean cross bracing in the context I mentioned it earlier,the bracing to provide stability to the 120' run of fence, it is actually on the inside, in the walls of the shed.   Another shot shows the 2x6 running up to brace the fence (the back of the shed is the fence).

Offline Mr. Vex

• Prepper
« Reply #272 on: November 23, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/index.php/Patio-Boxes1/View-all-products.html

$30 isn't that bad. I built a couple myself for a relatively cheap price. If you has some interested friends, combine efforts and share the costs on the building materials.

I'll make a post later showing the process we went through.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #273 on: November 23, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »
Funny you mention building boxes/beds-  this evening i set up a jig with my mitre saw and cut 24 32" 2x6s then screwed them together.  The end product is/are 6 individual boxes to plant my blueberry bushes in this weekend. I still have to stain these but I'm glad to get the cutting & building out of the way.   Cost of these are about $6 each iirc what I paid for the 8' 2x6s.

Finished, with the walkboard work bench behind them:

On Lizzie's porch to stay dry before staining

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2009, 08:27:27 PM »
Just take some metal, like rebar and grind out a point and attach them to your fence.  It could have a decorative touch, but mainly it would discourage people from climbing over. 

Sarahl,
Actually I was considering buying some of the plastic electric fence insulators and stringing a live looking but very dead wire along the back top of the fence, where it couldn't be seen from the inside but would unavoidable to anyone considering scaling it. 

Or maybe not, the neighborhood is actually pretty good, although being downtown we get a lot of walk through traffic by folks who wouldn't be walking a cul-de-sac in the 'burbs.

sarahluker

« Reply #275 on: November 23, 2009, 08:40:55 PM »
I guess you can tell that I have thought on this matter quite abit.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2009, 06:10:56 AM »
Frost! 

Damnit, wasn't supposed to get that low last night.  More scorched lettuce; probably not a disaster but I hate to lose anything still producing this late in the season here.

Lesson:

If you are preparing for a cold snap or frost, don't believe the weather forcasts. assume that a forcast low of 36 or 37 is close enough to frost conditions for it to happen.  I made a mini cold frame out of scrap and located enough plastic/cover to handle what I intended to protect starting tonight.
Actual low was 32 this morning, I saw the frost starting to spread in the yard at 630 when i got up; I went out in my jammies and hosed everything down really well with the 50-60 degree city water.  I checked again a little while later and that did raise temps enough to stop it.

Interesting thing though: The same patch of lettuce in the same bed got it again; I now know where my low spot is in the nano-micro-climate of that 400 sq ft of this tiny section of my "zone".

Funny how that last days of a garden are so precious to me and especially Mrs C, since we both know within a couple of weeks we'll lose all the lettuce to the low 20s weather just around the corner.....

sarahluker

« Reply #277 on: November 26, 2009, 07:32:12 AM »
Cohutt, I saw a program that had a gardener who planted lettuce in a large pot inside by a window.   She sprinkled the seeds all over and soon had a lettuce gala.  She said to just cut the lettuce off  a couple of inches for a salad and let the rest grow for more.  Don't know whether you want to go to the trouble but thought you might be interested.   It really sounded cool.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #278 on: November 26, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Sarahl,
I have some plants that I planned on transpanting inside to finish off their growth- I just have been a little lazy getting it done.  I have a good sunroom window that faces south/southeast that gets a few hours of low winter sun, so we'll all know in a few weeks how well it works.

sarahluker

« Reply #279 on: November 26, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
If you are lazy, then most of us are slothful! :)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2009, 05:21:43 PM »
Couple of updates:

First, I finished putting the stain on the blueberry boxes and laid them out in a grid that ties in with my main raised beds.   Mrs C approved the layout as it doesn't encroach any more on the remaining long run of open yard near the house.   I will true these up over the week and do something to level where the tree bucket truck rutted the slope of the ground there.  Hopefully I can get the soil mixed and the bushes planted by next weekend.

These are 33x33 and will each hold a single rabbiteye blueberry bush (3 varieties x 2 each) which I have had for several weeks now. They are 3 gallon sized and currently tucked into a leaf/compost residue pile in the containers.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #281 on: November 29, 2009, 05:53:42 PM »
The other and less enjoyable task I worked on was the next stretch of fence.  The back border of the property still had some old wire fence intertwined in privet, english Ivy and several "stumps" from 3 to 12 feet tall.  There were what the tree crew left behind due to the wire and yellow jackets (in the 12 foot stump, between the trunk and the inch thick sheath of woody ivy vines.  The tree contractor and I had to agree on a reduced price since the job wasn't finished).

After the wire, privet and ivy was removed and all but one of the stumps were cut back a bit, this was what was left:

I'm ashamed to say a couple of my trees had gotten as bad as the ones on my neighbor's property in the background. The good news is now this neighbor and another say they are going to clean up theirs as well.  The corner post has been sunk in and is visible with the mason's string heading to it.

Later, looking the other way after digging out & cutting down the stumps to grade along the fence line. LOL, I was pretty tired judging from how crooked I lined up the picture:  

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2009, 06:25:52 PM »
Man, I wish I had that kind of energy.
Great job dude!
Those tricky Admins need a special title for you because you're such an inspiration to all of us gardeners.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #283 on: November 30, 2009, 04:58:29 PM »
Broccoli cut and ready for tonight's dinner

In the background are some white heirloom tomatoes I picked over the weekend to let ripen inside.  I have no idea what kind they actually are as a neighbor passed on 2 little plants in mid July that her daughter gave her.  We finally started getting some to pick a couple weeks ago.  In late Nov I'm pushing my luck by a month at least here.   They have a nice flavor but NOT like normal red August tomatoes.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #284 on: December 03, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
I did a reverse transplanting tonight seeing as how it is December and we are overdue for our first hard freeze of the year.

I found 3 cheap windowbox type pots at china-mart, filled them with some good lettuce fodder and then transplanted the youngest section of lettuce into them.  They are now in my sunroom waiting for me to put up a small shelf across the windows for them to soak in the sunshine from.

These are from the SSE 6 variety sampler- delicious stuff and interesting color as well.   What's not to like about a lettuce called "Amish Deer Tongue" anyway ;)  BTW the spotted stuff is supposed to look that way- it doesn't have frost burn on it and it isn't dirty.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #285 on: December 03, 2009, 09:42:54 PM »
BTW the spotted stuff is supposed to look that way- it doesn't have frost burn on it and it isn't dirty.
Cohutt, I would never suspect you of dealing in dirty lettuce. :D

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #286 on: December 04, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »
Cohutt, you are a model of modern survivalism

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2009, 08:37:44 AM »
Cohutt, you are a model of modern survivalism

Haha, thanks, not even close (yet) but working towards it.  

I'm just applying my somewhat aspergian obsessiveness to try and get my spring punchlist done sometime actually before spring.....
I have a good bit fence work left, I have to finish prepping the blueberry boxes/beds (did 3 last night what a pain), build several new raised beds in the newly sunny back portion of my yard, build a modular composting bin series, pickup a couple loads of composted leaves from my city public works dept (free), pickup another load of dairy cow manure (free again), and mix it all together to start on the next mega load of compost. I have to cut back (by hand) all the boxwoods in the garden to start getting them under control again.  Oh, and before I do the beds in the back, I need to put down carboard all over the back section then spread the big piles of what were the trees in the area.  I do NOT want to mow anything back there ever again.

But other than that I'm practically complete. ha.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2009, 06:34:41 PM »
Weekend update 1

First, we had our first serious freeze (serious for N GA) Saturday night; temperatures got down in the low 20s.   I covered my last main plot of lettuce with a portable cold frame thing I made and left a light on under it all night. 

Success- the lettuce came through fine and we don’t have anything forecast into the 20s again for a while. 

This is from the same variety pack of seeds that my transplants above came from.  

The broccoli came through fine- this stuff continues to mature into good sized and tasty heads:

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2009, 07:01:53 PM »
The freeze took out most everything else- I cleaned up things and pulled the last tomato plant, all the marigolds, the long in the tooth basil and the nubs from the lettuce I cut that evening.

It was a pretty big pile of stuff

The garden looks a hell of a lot neater now for the first time in months. The pile of stuff is to the left and in the background the blueberry boxes are being installed.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #290 on: December 06, 2009, 07:08:21 PM »
The blueberry boxes/beds are finally in; once I got the grid the way I wanted it I dribbled sand along the outside to mark the outline.   Then I screwed the 1x2s onto them to keep them in lined up and flipped them out of the way so I could cut the sod up and dig a hole out of the clay underneath.

To replace it and also fill the beds I mixed up a blend of my main batch of compost and peat (to keep the ph down).  In the picture above I had started filling them in a little but had a ways to go.

The compost looked damn good when I started shoveling it; this is good stuff and fully broken down.

I used Mel’s tarp method to get it all fully blended together; I needed to wet the peat a bit and a light spray or two over it while spread out did the trick without getting it too soggy.

This weekend I also dug all but one of the post holes for the back fence (no pictures but it took most of Saturday morning) and picked the peanuts out of the plants that had been drying for the last couple or 3 weeks.  I only had a few plants so the yield was modest- maybe 2 quarts of goober peas total.  We plan on making a little peanut butter with them.

Thanks for humoring me with a comment or two along the way; I think I'll close chapter 1 at the end of the month and consider chapter 2 next year when winter starts to thaw.

Carry on.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »
Thanks for humoring me with a comment or two along the way; I think I'll close chapter 1 at the end of the month and consider chapter 2 next year when winter starts to thaw.
I have truly enjoyed Chapter 1!
I look forward to Chapter 2!

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #292 on: December 06, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »
Great job, cohutt. A very inspirational 1st chapter.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #293 on: December 10, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »
I've been down for the count since I posted Sunday night; the pull I felt earlier that evening in my lower back got angry for real..  I had cleaned up after all the digging and bent over to move an empty bucket when something popped.  It settled for a while but got a lot worse overnight and Monday; I ended up having to come home that afternoon and I spent 36 hours flat on my back.  It is touch and go right now and there is no frickin way I can get the blueberries in the ground anytime soon.  
Everything has basically been put on hold indefinitely until something gives.  I believe it is just a badly pulled muscle and not disk / spine issues; regardless it is very discouraging since I had been on a steady roll for weeks working on all this.

:(

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #294 on: December 10, 2009, 05:16:20 PM »
Take care of yourself dude!
Rest up.
Those blueberries will be fine.
BTW, did you see what those trixty admins did to your title?
Garden Guru.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #295 on: December 10, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »
LOL, I didn't until you pointed it out.

Sweet.  Now I'll have to live up to it.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #296 on: December 10, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »
LOL, I didn't until you pointed it out.

Sweet.  Now I'll have to live up to it.
You already have my friend. You already have.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #297 on: December 10, 2009, 09:16:24 PM »
You already have my friend. You already have.
Amen.

By the way, maybe you should see a chiropractor, if you know a good one. The guy I go to is a miracle worker.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2009, 09:52:10 AM »
Cohutt, You should take some ibuprophen to help reduce the inflammation. That should help ease some of the pain as well. Then I second the advice to go to the chiropractor.

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #299 on: December 11, 2009, 10:47:35 AM »
All I can say about the garden is WOW!. It gets me excited for next summer. Hope you feel better!