Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1  (Read 114413 times)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »
Holy Chit we got some rain today! finally!  

We had a couple of good squalls hit this afternoon that dumped a little on us.  I checked when I got home and the barrels were frickin full.  I got some dinner and was going to pick some beans and cut the front yard when a big front moved in and another inch or so hit us.

Observations:  the capacity of the overflow isn't enough to keep up with the volume in a decent thunderstorm so I have to make some adjustments.  I'll probably make a diverter at the point where the downspout hits the first barrel; it shouldn't be too much trouble to run it back into the drain it was going into since it is right there. Hmmm.....

I noticed the blowhole in the lower barrel was draining out due to the height difference between the upper 4 and this barrel.  I couldn't stand it so I made a quick fix extender out of some tubing and a berdan primed rifle case of some commie caliber in my scrap brass bucket.  Woot! it worked!  The water line is flush with the bottom of the drainpipe in the background.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »
Corn!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2009, 05:45:34 PM »
The corn in the picture above is "Devotion" and is a good 10 days or more ahead of the silver queen planted at the same time.  We've had a lot of rain in the last few days while i was out of town; we had a few storms and i was glad to find all my stalks still standing, so the trellis netting brace was a success.

I was really stunned how much this grew while I was gone. Last 6 days ago it was a little above eye level to me.  Now it's not. Geez.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2009, 05:53:36 PM »
Wow!  Your stuff is looking great. ;)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2009, 06:24:54 PM »
Looking good.  Hopefully my Fall garden will start looking like this.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2009, 06:43:06 PM »
Looking good cohutt !

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2009, 09:04:09 PM »
Nice corn Cohutt.  That is crazy tall. Between that and the beans alone you will be set for veggies for a while. 

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »
awesome garden!

CenTexPrep

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2009, 06:10:05 PM »
What an inspiration! 

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »
Thanks guys. 

I just ate a bowl of fresh squash and 'maters for dinner. Yum.

Romas - lowest daily yeild in 10 days today, a tad less than yesterday.  Lima pods are coming on fast, just in time with the Romas petering out.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »
oh man *drool* that looks sooooooooo delicious.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »
Rain+rain+squash+rain+rain= fuzz growing off of dead blossoms and a couple of little squashes (squish?)

Hairy mold type stuff, long stranded grayish. Definitely originated on the withered blossoms then crept up onto the body.

I culled anything that had it on it hope that the slightly cooler dryer day today helps avoid it returning.  

Any similar experiences?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2009, 04:38:09 AM »
Did some searching and found some info on the squash rot.  Not encouraging unless we dry out just a little here.

Ecerpted from a really thorough squash page I found, http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1014/ way down the page :

Choanephora Wet Rot
Wet rot, caused by the fungus Choanephora cucurbitarum, is a fruit rot of summer squash.
SYMPTOMS. Fruits rot rapidly and white fungal mold appears on the infected area. With time, fruit look like a pin cushion with numerous small, black-headed pins stuck in it (Figure 8 ). Initially, the heads are white to brown but turn purplish-black within a few days. Affected flowers, pedicels, and immature fruit become water-soaked, and a soft, wet-rot develops. An entire fruit can rot in a 24 to 48 hour period. Symptoms usually begin on the blossom end of the fruit.

PERSISTENCE AND TRANSMISSION. The fungus overwinters as a saprophyte (living on dead plant tissue) and/or in a dormant spore form (such as a chlamydospore or zygospore). In spring, fungal spores are spread to squash flowers by wind and by insects such as bees and cucumber beetles. Infection occurs through the blossom, into the fruit and stem. Development of wet rot is favored by high relative humidity and excessive rainfall.

CONTROL. There are no effective control practices available for wet rot at this time. Fungicide sprays are impractical because new blossoms open daily and need to be protected soon after development. Drip irrigation may reduce development and spread of the disease during dry seasons.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2009, 08:03:47 AM »
That sucks!  I have been having that same problem an hour or two south of you on my squash. It has me paranoid about watering them at all, ever.  I also made the mistake of buying a squash plant from Home Depot rather than planting a hardier heirloom variety.  Next year i will not make that mistake.

Offline nikki1843

• Survivor
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2009, 08:17:54 AM »
Wow, your garden is really looking good. I can't wait till next year, I want some corn like yours. Great job.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2009, 08:25:20 AM »
Wow, your garden is really looking good. I can't wait till next year, I want some corn like yours. Great job.

If you have some space to plant, you can plant for a fall harvest. That's what I just did.  I planted a bed of snap beans, a bed of corn that will have some pole beans, and a bed of broccoli.  I don't know if the corn will produce in time, but I'm giving it a try.  I looked for the shortest time to production when looking at the seeds.  The corn is hybrid, but the others are all open pollinated.

UncleJoe

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »
WOW!!! That rainwater system is way beyond impressive. I picked up a 250 gal plastic tank off CL, and put a couple of fittings on it to attach garden hose. I've been showing it off to anyone that would look at it. I am now humbled in the presence of greatness. Nice set-up.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2009, 05:21:34 AM »
Thanks UncleJoe.

After showing the system to a friend last week, he said that he can get me the big caged food grade tanks for free (surplus).  250 and 400+ gallons i think.

All I could say was "now you tell me".

:)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2009, 05:54:33 PM »
I got several things done today. 
One thing I wanted to do was come up with a CRB (CheapRatBastard) seed sprouting setup that included degradable pots that i can plant right into the garden pot and all.  I decided to try newspaper pots and conveniently found a couple of deli sandwich/cookie trays at work that were the right size.

I grabbed a scrap piece of 1 3/4" pvc and some newspaper out of the recycling bin and experimented until i came up with the following:

1 I used a full page, full meaning not opened - like the whole front page for example. 
2. I folded in half twice long ways so that was 4 layers thick.
3. Using the pvc, I rolled the folded newspaper up as tight as i could with about 2" of it on the pvc and a little less overhanging the end of the pipe.
4. While still on the pipe, i folded one side of the overhanging paper flat over the end of the pipe, then repeated with the other side. I then pushed the rest flat at the end and forced it into the inside of the pipe slightly.
5. To finish I pushed the end of the pipe hard against the countertop I was working on to make a crisp edge and then slid the cupped paper off the end and applied one staple at the top edge at the overlap.

This is what they looked like when finished:

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
I wanted the soil to match what is in the garden so I made up some Mel's mix.  For this application I screened my compost for a finer grain for consistency.  I used a wire CD storage bin that for the last couple of years has been my range brass collection bin.  
It worked pretty well - as you can see the compost was in pretty good shape to begin with except for some big stick ends, pecan shell remnants and similar -

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »
Once I mixed the batch of screened compost with equal amounts of peat and vermiculite (IE Mel's mix), I filled all 19 of the little newspaper pots.

Why 19?  Because 19 is the number of this sized pot that fits perfectly on hat the free plastic deli tray thing that will hold them.

One thing I'd like to note:  The dry Mel's mix wasn't heavy enough to settle the filled pots flat on their bases as you can see below. Once I wet the soil, they all settled relatively flat and level, I just don't have a picture to share yet.

Without cover:

With cover:

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2009, 06:30:16 PM »
Very nice.
Like a little greenhouse.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2009, 09:08:42 PM »
Hey Cohutt, nice job man!  For reference sake, how tall are you?

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »

My sources tell me Cohutt is over 9' tall.
 ;D

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2009, 04:03:38 AM »

Not very, and certainly not 9'.

5'8' on a good day...  :)

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »
Not very, and certainly not 9'.

5'8' on a good day...  :)

Are you at least bulletproof or did Hare lie about that too.  lol

still at 5'8" that is some tall corn my friend.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2009, 04:39:28 PM »
Hopefully I'll never know whether I'm bullet proof or not....  in the meantime I'm operating on the assumption that I'm not.
;)

One of the other things I got done was to build a "second level" box so i can make a portion of one of my beds up to 12" deep; I'm thinking of the fall carrots i ordered from seedsavers last week.

Basically i repeated the construction basics of the first level beds- 2x6 stained dark and screwed together with 3" decking screws.

My cordless drill battery was dead so I stained the boards while it was charging.

Assembled, this sturdy box is 2' x 4' so it will cover 1/4 of one of the beds.

This is a piss poor angle to show the depth of the bed but here it is after dropping it on the bed and adding 8 cubic feet of fresh Mel's mix.  I'll try and improve and post a better shot later.

I figure these 8 squares give me potentially 128 carrots this fall @ 4x4 or 16 per foot.

We will see how it goes........
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:42:44 PM by cohutt »

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
I built most of my beds with 2x12's so I may be able to plant in them as is...

Offline Bloodyboots

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2009, 10:22:37 PM »
Hey Cohutt, just wondering, which would work better for the seed pots, newspaper or brown paper bags? 

Just got to thinking, the brown bags would hold together longer and retain water more, and be more nutritious for the plants than newspaper.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2009, 04:17:52 AM »
Hey Cohutt, just wondering, which would work better for the seed pots, newspaper or brown paper bags?  

Just got to thinking, the brown bags would hold together longer and retain water more, and be more nutritious for the plants than newspaper.

Good question, but I don't know the answer for sure.  I used newspaper as I have used it for mulch before and had seen it used as pots by others (online).  

The newspaper is multiple layers and should last long enough to get something sprouted to a sufficient size for planting.  Something that would last just long enough to get in the ground before the pot disintegrates is ideal i guess, since you would want the roots to freely grow and expand out at that point.  I'm sprouting lettuce in these for transfer to out under my shade cloth structure so i don't need them to last more than a couple weeks really. (it is too hot here for good germination of direct sown lettuce.)

As far as nutrition, I'm not worried since the mix in them is Mel's mix, which includes 1/3 by volume composted leaves, manure etc.  

Try some and see- I have a roll of brown heavy duty contractor "floor guard" paper I use for target backing that I might try if these don't work out.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:23:19 AM by cohutt »