Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1  (Read 118775 times)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2009, 04:26:23 AM »
Better shots of the newly added "second level" section of bed:

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »
Adding soil to SFG:

I commented in another thread that I'd seen a lot of SFG raised beds that weren't filled to the top edge with soil.  Well, I looked at mine and noticed that the fluffy Mel's mix had settled down about an inch in some parts of the garden- seems like it's those areas getting the most watering.   

What made me notice was the funky air-roots coming out of the base of one of my little corn stands- the "Devotion" one.  It has a stouter stalk and broader leaves than the Silver Queen I also put in as well as these odd growths.

Look at these things:

Anyway, I figured I'd fill in around them to add back the settled soil.  Mel's advice is to add only compost back to the mix when replacing or replenishing soil. I figured at this point the compost would serve two purposes here- to conserve moisture as a mulch layer plus feed the corn for the last of the ears' development. 

So an inch or two is now piled over the first layer of funky roots and I'm waiting for the first harvest:

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »
You forgot to say how much work it was spreading all that mulch.
Great job dude!
Its a wonderful thing when the harvest comes and all that work gets rewarded.

Offline Bloodyboots

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2009, 11:31:39 PM »
Adding soil to SFG:
What made me notice was the funky air-roots coming out of the base of one of my little corn stands- the "Devotion" one.  It has a stouter stalk and broader leaves than the Silver Queen I also put in as well as these odd growths.

Those are pretty common, I've seen them on corn all my life, regardless if it was organic, mass farmed, or hobby grown. They re just roots that formed above ground, commonly called "Brace" roots, though they don't really brace it. They do however scavenge the top level of soil for nutrients, so covering them up shouldn't hurt.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn/news/timeless/Roots.html

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »
Thanks bloody boots + 1; I'm down in soybean and cotton country and corn is a bit of a novelty to me.  That's an interesting site; obviously Indiana is corn country if Purdue has a whole website series dedicated to it. 

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
Thanks bloody boots + 1; I'm down in soybean and cotton country and corn is a bit of a novelty to me.  That's an interesting site; obviously Indiana is corn country if Purdue has a whole website series dedicated to it. 

I saw comedian Heywood Banks at a club in Indianapolis and he sang a song about Iowa but opened it by saying this is what he thought as he drove to Indianapolis.
Here's the lyrics:

'Interstate 80 Iowa'

Mississippi River
Davenport
Corn, corn, corn, corn
Corn, corn, corn
'whats that smell?'
Corn, corn, corn
Iowa City
Corn, corn, corn, corn
'Look at tree'
Corn, corn, corn, Des Moines
Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn
'Theres that smell again'
Corn, corn, corn
Council Bluffs, Missouri River

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2009, 07:19:10 PM »
Dog Vomit Slime Mold has invaded my garden.  3 cases in the cypress mulch then this morning one in and on some baby lima plants.   At 530 I soaked the upper deck that is going to get the carrot seeds tommorrow; just now I went out and it had spouted in less than 3 hours to this:

Day old DVSM on the beans:

Apparently it is harmless, thankfully:  http://www.personal.psu.edu/sam21/dogvomit.htm

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2009, 08:42:28 PM »
Interesting.  It is actually called dog vomit.  I thought you were making that up.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »
Interesting.  It is actually called dog vomit.  I thought you were making that up.
Better than me. I thought he needed to take his dog to the vet.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2009, 05:49:49 AM »
yuk

First thing this morning around 7:30 AM

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
I get that sometimes. Mostly in the spring.
I had no idea what it was.
I've tried everything to kill it.
Bleach, oven cleaner, acetone, I kid you not. I've even tried taking a propane torch to it.
If anyone knows how to kill it I would sure like to know the secret.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2009, 08:15:39 PM »
Man, the sight of that stuff makes me want to VOMIT!  I usually see it in the mulch beds in the spring around here in NJ...I think its from too much moisture...

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2009, 07:20:41 AM »
Severe thunderstorms here last night right at dark-thirty.  Corn appears to have gotten a big dose of wind shear. Hopefully bent but not broken.   I'll take some pics in a while when i get out there to evaluate and fix.  Dayam!

It was a doozie, some folks nearby are still without power.   

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »
The Silver Queen is skinnier on the stalk and got whacked a lot worse than the Devotion-

First thing this morning, this is what I found.  I guess it could be worse, I've heard of small plots going completely flat in this type of storm.

sarahluker

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2009, 05:00:02 PM »
Glad to see you didnt lose everything.  I've enjoyed your picture journal of the garden.  I'm getting things together to start up in spring and was good to see what you've done.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2009, 05:54:40 PM »
Thanks sarahl, I keep posting cuz it keeps me working on the garden and trying new things. 

The Silver Queen actually recovered pretty well so I will call the stabilization scheme a success.  I worked from the middle and stood the stalks back up straight out to the edge. After holding them all up for a minute they stayed straight enough.  By this evening they had started following the sun again and were a little more vertical.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »
The Devotion is further along than the Silver queen; it held up fine.  

It was finally harvest time tonight and I pulled 3 ears after the water was boiling. 1 minute to shuck and 4 minutes in the water.  Dinner 100% from the Cohutt sfg, a first.   My lovely spouse has never had fresh sweet corn like this- her face said it all after the first bite.  

I think she had a corngasm, for real.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:17:06 PM by cohutt »

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »

LOL  That is hilarious. I'll have to tell my wife that one.  hahaha

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2009, 06:48:25 AM »
The Devotion is further along than the Silver queen; it held up fine.  

It was finally harvest time tonight and I pulled 3 ears after the water was boiling. 1 minute to shuck and 4 minutes in the water.  Dinner 100% from the Cohutt sfg, a first.   My lovely spouse has never had fresh sweet corn like this- her face said it all after the first bite.  

Glad they held up.  It would really suck to go this far and have the wind wipe them out.

Congrats on the dinner completely from the garden.  I won't be doing that this year, but that's the goal for next year, many dinners completely from the garden, and lots put up for Winter consumption.

Corngasm, not that's funny.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2009, 10:40:30 AM »
Shadecloth & Lettuce update..

A while back I posted that I built a shade structure so I could try and grow some lettuce or spinach in the GA summer heat.  I tried lettuce sown directly and only had one germination.  This seems to have been a hot summer so far- a lot of drought type no sun days in mid to upper 90s- so i suppose the temp was too high. (?)

I tried again sprouting some inside and then transplanting.  At first it looked like about half were going to die but then they rallied.  For the last couple of weeks  they have been actually growing and appear to have turned the corner.  I have 20 more sprouted inside that will be ready to transplant in a couple weeks as well.  

The shade cloth is standard 50% stuff and i noticed that it is really effective at keeping the soil temp down and slows the evaporation dramatically. In the corn pictures up the page you can see it to get a better idea of what it is- the two top pieces pop off for easier tending-

Anyway, here is what they are looking like even after a week where temps hit 95 a few times:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:42:48 AM by cohutt »

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2009, 04:13:52 PM »
Carrots are sprouting -

and spinach is sprouting

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2009, 05:52:29 PM »
Cohutt
Dude, you are inspiring me to plant a fall garden.
I usually don't do it but I think I will get started this week.
Thanks for your efforts posting all these great pictures.
Yet another +1 from.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2009, 06:19:48 PM »
Karmas gladly accepted, HoC.....  :)

Also on tap for the fall:

I bought the variety sampler pack of heirloom lettuce from Seed Savers and have a flat of it sprouting right now.  

Also, my assistant at work's family owns an old fashioned seed & feed store and she brought in 18 nice little broccoli plants for me today. :) :)
It is Bonnie "Early Dividends" - supposedly 45 days to harvest.  I'll get it in in the next day or so -
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:23:14 PM by cohutt »

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »
You guys got me going. I'm ordering seeds tomorrow for my fall garden. I have been thinking about doing one for a while now.

It is Bonnie "Early Dividends" - supposedly 45 days to harvest.  I'll get it in in the next day or so -

Those sound good. I like the 45 day return. I might have to try those myself.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »
Garden=theraputic stress reduction sidebar:

Stressful these days at work, I have to let someone go tommorrow after a position was eliminated and two good employees applied for the remaining spot.  I get to let them know what the decision is in the morning.  Yay.

To get the knots out of my neck I piddled around until dark in the garden prepping for the transition to the fall plantings.

Right as I was starting, one of my neighbors was taking his two young children for a walk and I invited them in (actually they peeked through the hedge and dropped some heavy hints) then gave the kids a little tour; they are around 3 and 5 so they were interested for a minute or two, especially when i peeled back some husk to show them the kernels hiding underneath on an ear of corn.  They each picked a couple of lima pods and were pleased to find 3 baby limas in each; they both thought the basil was "stinky" but dad gladly accepted some to take home to their mom with a couple of fresh tomatoes.

I pulled the rest of the spent beans plants  after picking the last of the baby limas.  I spread the plants out on my lawn next to the garden and double chopped/mulched them with my pushmower.  I screened some more compost out and worked the chopped plants into it, then added the rich mix to all of the squares that had beanos in them.

Next I picked the remaining 6 or 7 ripe tomatoes from my rejuvenated 'mater plants.  The higher up the plant they are it seems the better they get.

I mixed up and applied some neem oil /water solution to try and discourage the growing number of grasshoppers squatting in my plot.

Finally I picked some catnip for my junkie monster cat's nighttime buzz and retired to the shop for a few minutes to reassemble a 1911 I had stripped and given a 6 month detail cleaning last weekend.

Dinner was fresh corn, limas, tomatoes and a boneless porkchop.

I'm not looking forward to tommorrow but I do feel a whole lot better after my evening's activities, for sure.

Carry on, I'm done rambling. :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:22:41 PM by cohutt »

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2009, 05:18:37 PM »
The transition to a fall garden is continuing-

Lettuce is perking up a little now that it is "only" 88 or 90 and a little cooler at night

First square of spinach is up and running, off to a good start

Spent bean plants are pulled, compost is worked into those squares and 44 broccoli plants are planted. Carrots continue to spout/grow.

Note: I realize i'm breaking the interplanting rules Mel suggests by putting down grids of broccoli.  We started mid-June with this and didn't get a good 3 season plan in motion; everything got put in late, mostly matured the same time (bush beans) and damnit we just like broccoli more than other things we could put in now. 

Brocs in the foreground:

front middle: more Brocs
front right: carrot box

middle: more more Brocs

Back: lettuce to the left of the Silver queen

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2009, 07:12:19 PM »
Your garden is so nice looking and so organized.
Mine looks like a battlefield.
Anyway, thanks for keeping this thread up to date.
I love checking in here and watching your progress.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
HoC, 

When I was thinking about how I would lay out the garden I wanted to set it up so that it would be easy to keep tidy, otherwise Mrs cohutt would be bugging me to keep it neat.  She would have picked keeping it neat over keeping it productive before she had some of the harvest. 

Mainly I wanted to keep the grass out of everything and to have an easy edge to mow on the outside vs having to weed-whack or edge.  Hence the treated 2x4s laying flat, flush with the grade of the yard.

Also I wanted to have the space between the beds "barren" IE no grass weeds or anything, so I put down the cardboard and covered with mulch.

The homemade soil was virtually weed seed free and I have had to spend minimal time weeding- virtually none at all. 

I other words if I had to do much of anything maintenance wise that was indirect as in not touching my plants or the soil immediately around them, I knew it would bomb.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »
Sweet looking garden.  I've never looked at Mel's book, but I will be this Winter.  I didn't do any interplanting this year, and I'm suffering for it.  I've been hit this year with Mexican Bean Beetles and some sort of corn borer, but I haven't seen the borer yet.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
Squash monster escaping......

My squash "bush" has been trying to escape the 9 squares i generously allocated to it last June. I have steered it some with a piece of steel rod stuck in the ground, mainly to bend it away from the center of the bed.  It took off initially right towards the limas next door and I had to turn it away.  Now it is making a desperate run towards the dwindling Devotion corn in the bed to the east.

seriously...  

I've had issues with rot on the squash due to moister and now I am trying to save the plant from an attack of powdery mildew using a Neem oil solution.  I've cut back the leaves as they wither and now I have this ugly nubbed-up vine jumping the bed. The rot is a little better (1 of  every 3 or 4 vs 2of 3 seem to get it) since I raised the vine and fruit up off the ground on the plastic fencing.  

Ugly thang, but still trying to put out fruit despite the hardships it has endured: