Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1  (Read 112813 times)

Hare of Caerbannog

Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »

Just for contrast, here's the latest pic of my garden.
Sorry about the B&W, my camera is old.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »
LOL...

At least you practice low impact land management.

Ok maybe not.....

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2009, 08:37:40 PM »
Just for contrast, here's the latest pic of my garden.
Sorry about the B&W, my camera is old.

So, your garden is somewhere beyond the gates of Mordor. that's pretty rough  LOL

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »
So, your garden is somewhere beyond the gates of Mordor. that's pretty rough  LOL
That just cracked me up!
+1 Rozz!

Offline mngardener

• Survivor
« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »

almost looked like no mans land in WW I
HAHAHAH

in about 2 months mine will look the same.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2009, 10:44:01 AM »
I got fired up after listening to Jack's fall garden podcast Friday (#270).  Per the previous pictures I had already started the transition with broccoli and some greens, but I figured it was time to improve/expand as suggested. 
I don't want another bed yet; instead I decide ed it was time to tackle the privet hedge/welded wire fence down the alley next to my garden.  I want to get some blueberries in and have space for raspberries as well.  I figured the space occupied by the privet was wasted space so I started taking it out Friday evening.  I couldn't safely use a chainsaw imho due to busted strands of welded wire fencing being mingled in the hedge, so i got out my two favorite machetes and got with it.
One is a Gerber "elf toe" hook type and the other is a woodsman's pal.  The woodsman's pal is great for fighting English Ivy tangles in clumps of privet stumps.
I picked up this morning where I left of Friday and have made a lot of progress. Digging up the privet roots is where I was when I took a lunch break and posted this.  Digging roots sucks if anyone had any doubts.

So thanks a lot Jack, by the time I realized what a biitch /mofo this was going to be I was way beyond the turning back point.   (Pictures to follow later today. )

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #156 on: September 06, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
cohutt,

One of the most inspiring garden posts and picture fests so far on TSPs forum.  Thank you.  I have two suggestions.

1. Stick with string as you no doubt have learned it is easy to pant around, much around, weed around, etc.  I have had a few types break in time, I switched to paracord and it holds up well.  Note para not parashoot cord.  I think the para is strong enough and it holds up will for the purpose.

2.  Try some trellises on the squash next year.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #157 on: September 06, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
cohutt,

One of the most inspiring garden posts and picture fests so far on TSPs forum.  Thank you. 

I agree.  A big +1 for you, Cohutt!  :)

LMAO!!!!!!  I guess it's +1 morning.  Another one for you, Roz.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2009, 12:14:12 PM »
Thank you both. I am taking a break standing next to a big pile of privet and posting this from my mobile.
So Jack, does this mean you will come to N GA and help me finish digging up this godawful stuff?
;)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2009, 12:17:51 PM »
So Jack, does this mean you will come to N GA and help me finish digging up this godawful stuff?
;)

You forget I don't dig,  ;).  That big square you cut in the sod, if it were my project I would have went to a store that sells appliances and got a few fridge boxes, laid em down and mulched over the top of em. 

But hell when I get some time I would love to come see your spread and I am happy to do a bit of work with you as well, in fact I would love to.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
And when you're done with Cohutt's house, come over here and help me with my garden.  :)

sarahluker

« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2009, 03:15:06 PM »
Jack if you want to help someone stay here in TEXAS!!  I've got a backyard with my new house above Galveston, that has nothing, yes nothing, but a small mandarin orange tree (and grass).  Be a great place to show perma-culture from beginning to end.  Just kidding (sorta).  But I am starting in on a garden for the first time and I'm really hoping I can do it right.  Bought an organinc gardening book and Storeys homesteading book.  If I can do a quarter of what Cohutt has done I will be content.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »
this is after I hacked the hedge down and started digging up the roots:

Made some progress by the end of the day:

I'm whipped.

Fred_47460

« Reply #163 on: September 06, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
I'm whipped.

Yeah man...that kinda labor is a real body burner. I'd be sore for several days after something like that. Hey man....you wouldn't be sore if you wasn't "livin" !! Looks like you're reclaiming lots of area though!

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
Now that digging is digging that has to be done.  I honestly feel your pain been dealing with that damn &^$#()_& ^N ))*% ^$&()m  tree that fell in my front yard all day.  I have a huge pain in my left elbow from the lopers but now I have at least a cord of fire wood and a huge pile of mulch so it is worth it.  I am about to pour a few margaritas so that will help with the pain, it is all medicinal I swear,  ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2009, 05:12:56 PM »
I am about to pour a few margaritas so that will help with the pain, it is all medicinal I swear,  ;)

"Here, you lousy scoundrel, take your medicine.  TAKE IT!  Aaaand, one for the doctor!" - Hunter S. Thompson

I need somethin' to drink now.  ;)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2009, 06:02:05 PM »

What I am drinking right now

2 oz Cuervo 1800 respado
1 oz Cuervo White (white for bite)
1 oz Gran Marnier
1.5 oz roses lime juice
1/2 a lime squeezed

Shaken on ice and poured into a salt rimmed glass.

Thank you for sharing your recipe Mr. Buffett.  Try one sis what ever might have your goat won't matter after two, then have three and four and a nice nap,

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2009, 06:07:01 PM »
Thank you for sharing your recipe Mr. Buffett.  Try one sis what ever might have your goat won't matter after two, then have three and four and a nice nap,

It's so amusing that we can take any subject, and turn it into drinking.  Survival?  Drink a beer!  Gardening?  Try a margarita!  Pissed off?  Drink both! At once!

I'm after that margarita right now, by the way.
;D

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »
ROFL
Jack and Sis are drunk off their asses and cohutt is covered in dirt and sweat.
Around here we call that Sunday.
 ;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #170 on: September 06, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »
Once again the curse of curiousity had me check on this thread from the mobile.
I can only say I hope there aren't pictures when I get back and check on the PC.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »
Now Mrs Cohutt is all concerned that our privacy is gone now that I took out the privet.   

I'll admit it looks a little stark now compared to before and I'm going to have to be more careful not to leave any tools or equipment out in view of the alley.  Most of the traffic down the alley is harmless- it is the zoning line between the historic district residential and the back of the commercial lots fronting a busy street a half a block away.  Still, I get enough foot traffice from the local indigent population (Salvation Army is a block away) that I have to be careful not to leave stuff out and to lock the back gate.

I think I'll improve the security of the fence as the welded wire one has been there for almost 20 years and has been beaten to hell and back since i put it in.  I'm thinking of sinking 4x4s and stringing some heavier gauge horse fencing or something up; the blueberries I am planning on putting in will provide some screen in a couple years and i don't want to block any more sun that I have to if I am going to plant that space.  (Hence no standard dog eared wood fence.....)  T

I wonder it it would be tacky to put a course or two of barbed wire above the new wire fencing?

Anyway it does open the backyard up to a lot more casual eyes:

1 of 3 or so loads I'll need to take care of is in the truck and ready to be taken to the city yard waste site for disposal:

Another real gardening update too:  Last week I found something had munched pretty hard on some of the young broccoli plants I put in a few days ago.  I applied a neem oil solution using a standard home depot ZEP spray bottle and haven't' had any new damage since then.    The first batch I planted (foreground) has been in the ground a week longer that the rest and it is beginning to grow noticeably.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »
"Here, you lousy scoundrel, take your medicine.  TAKE IT!  Aaaand, one for the doctor!" - Hunter S. Thompson

Dr. Thompson knew what he was talking about.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
It's looking good Cohutt

sarahluker

« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »
Well, what did Mrs. Cohutt say about the fence?  You know we are all enjoying your saga.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2009, 03:33:20 AM »
I did a little more work on it Tuesday evening but then realized the swollen left hand was serious enough to have to give it a rest for a few days.  When I was swinging the maddock Sunday I felt a sharp pain in my hand at/behind the joint on my "birdie" finger.  It subsided so I get working and just gripped the handle a little less tight. Monday it hurt a little but I favored it and got the work done.
Well Monday evening my left hand was swollen and very stiff; enough so that I had to ice it to knock the welling down some and stop the "heatbeat" type ache.   I think I strained a ligament or something.  Damnit damnit damnit.  Being a 20 year old in a 50 year old body is beginning to slow me down.

Whining aside..... Sarah wisely picked up the importance of having Mrs C on board for this yard to continue to evolve into a productive mini urban homestead.... so....

Mrs C and I surveyed the cleaned fence from the alley side yesterday evening and I explained my general plans.  Turns out she is more worried about the integrity of the fence vs the privacy, so we are on the same page after all. The same worn welded wire fence runs the rest of the alley border but it feels more secure because you can't tell where hedge stops and fence starts and vice versa as it is thoroughly engulfed in the privet hedge.

I'm planning one a combo wood and wire fence- deep sunk wooden posts with at least 7' out of the ground.  a couple feet of wood along the base with better quality wire fencing (horse fence or made the 16' 4 or 6 gauge livestock panels) above. I plan on a wire above the top of these for grapes and was even thinking of using some wicked 4 barb barbed wire I have at the BOL so that scaling the fence presents an issue. 

I have reserved some 3 gallon rabbiteye blueberry bushes for where some of the privet was; these are already a few feet tall (3+) and will provide some screening eventually to take the edge off. I plan on putting a longer narrow bed against the fence in one or more 8' sections for climbing like beans or squash next year as well. 

Also, Mrs C is now even on board with the idea of removing the lobsided limb dropping shade making beech tree above my compost area.  This will significantly open up the possibilities in my yard going forward.

sarahluker

« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2009, 06:29:26 AM »
You are a blessed man, having a lady who backs you up.  Keep up the great saga and take care of that hand, its a valuable asset!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2009, 08:18:43 PM »
PECANS:

It looks like it is going to be a good year for pecans in the backyard this year. The squirrels are tasting them daily and dropping the green nuts on top of "Lizzie's house", the old single room house that was built for "the help" at the same time my home was built 138 years ago.  They make a hell of a noise bouncing off the tin roof every few minutes, all day long while the tree rats work.

Here is a shot of the big old tree over Lizzie's- the limbs are sagging pretty much; this is a good sign for later in the fall.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2009, 08:29:15 PM »
I finished clearing the privet today and then pulled all the fence posts so I could move the fence in a couple of feet for a while while i build its replacement. 
The only thing worse than sinking t-posts is pulling them out. sheeze

A shot from back to front with the old welded wire fence laying in the alley:

And from front to back after moving it in a couple of feet.   

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »
Not gardening or prepping but this worked so well I figured I'd share:  ;D

I didn't mention it but last weekend when I was digging I tore a tendon or ligament in my hand behind my birdie finger knuckle.   It swelled up considerably and it took all week to removes the swelling with ice and get mobility back.  The best thing I could have done would be to rest it for a couple weeks but there's no way I'd do that in the middle of this project.

So I came up with a fix to take the pressure off of it and keep me from gripping any maddock or shovel handles with it.  USPS flat rate boxes have a lot of uses for them after the deliver their goods- here is my USPS box splint/grip strap after a day of abuse: