Author Topic: 122 miles with a counterpoise on a HT !  (Read 627 times)

Offline Antman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
122 miles with a counterpoise on a HT !
« on: July 27, 2018, 02:47:02 AM »
  Good Morning,,
             I put a 19 3/8 inch "tiger tail" on my ht and got a 122 mile contact into a repeater last night! That is my furthest 2 meter contact to date ,, with the tiger tail and the rubber duck and an 8 watt Baofeng HT !!!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: 122 miles with a counterpoise on a HT !
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »
When there's an opening, there's an opening.  Congrats Antman.  Can't count on them happening, but when they do they're a bunch of fun.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »
  "The Force" and the skill of surfing propagation is a driving force behind most radio nerd activity. The knowledge to recognize it and skill to take advantage of such happenings is why Hams get credit for long range prowess I still hold the over land ARRL record on VHF. of North West Louisiana to W1REZ in central Maine.

Good for you in taking advantage of mother nature.

Offline Antman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
Carl , so I have heard its tropo ducting and temp inversion ,, what exactly is it ? Is the wave actually bending with the surface temp and downdrafts? I got thru again this morning , slightly foggy at dawn ,, full quieting into the repeater ,,,,, thanks again !

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »
  Most any 'boundary' will guide a small percentage of your typically LINE OF SIGHT (like a laser) signal along a path just as you get light from another room to show around a corner. In working a repeater , a lot has to do with the repeater height above average terrain and your path though 50 miles is about average if the repeater is 1000 feet up a hill or tower (some places are blessed with such)

I would think the reason it worked today is a 'DUCT' formed by temperature ( most will be North/South  with morning/evening thermals though often frontal high'low pressure boundaries as weather moves about can also cause such to happen   ...just as a mountain ridge can form such an area that can be stable and predictable)
I would go with morning thermal boundaries for now as sunrise causes layers of cool/warm air to guide less that 1% of your signal to take a path ...this is what Single Side Band VHF/UHF users take advantage of  and rarely is this effective with FM signals to be effective or predictable.

There are "E" clouds of static charged clouds the form mostly in summer day to afternoons that can provide a more solid mirror to 'bounce' your signals off of and often at a strong as local signal that makes people question how such can happen...this event is fun for SSB and even FM users.

Enjoy it as it happens and meet some 'new' fellow Hams,such impromptu happenings can develop great friendships if NOT just used as a contact without taking time to share a bit of yourself with others....I don't see contesting and signal reports as having real use without some time to visit and learn a bit of the lives of others.

Your long contact is an accomplishment to talk about and better still if used to get acquainted with fellow Ham operators.

Offline Antman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »
Well said Carl,,,, the guy on the other end was cooler than the actual contact , it is amazing who you meet and the small circles you run in  :)