Author Topic: Giaco's "Maker Knife"  (Read 510 times)

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Giaco's "Maker Knife"
« on: July 31, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »
I just saw this and am considering. Anybody else on board?

https://makerknife.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Giaco's "Maker Knife"
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »
  Wow,and it only costs 10X more than the average box cutter....How do they do it?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
i prefer mine gerber EAB light.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 10:33:18 AM »
i prefer mine gerber EAB light.
This. While it looks cool, the EAB has them beat on price. And that is a big deal for me. Some maybe not. But for $7, the EAB is prefect.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 05:41:40 AM »
This. While it looks cool, the EAB has them beat on price. And that is a big deal for me. Some maybe not. But for $7, the EAB is prefect.

That is another aspect of being prepared. Saving money.

I prefer my free Stanley utility knife and free 100 pk. of blades.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 07:17:50 AM »
The knife looks nice, not sure at that price.  Ok, not going to buy it at that price...

I did buy a super Knife II that I love.  It has the best lockup on the bade versus any of the other box cutters.
It is the go to box cutter when I am breaking down a bunch of boxes to be recycled.  That box cutter is no longer being made.  It was too expensive.

Oh, the price of the super Knife II?  About 25 dollars and it is all metal construction.  It is thin and works just like a normal knife when opening / closing the blade.

I do have the EAB and a few other box cutters.  Some find there way into a tool box / bag for the truck.

The box cutters that like to lose a blade in cardboard box get tossed.

The box cutters like the Stanley which can work quite well; stay on the work bench versus in the pocket.  They are a bit too bulky for my taste.  However; they are cheap and have a good grip on the blade. 

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
That is another aspect of being prepared. Saving money.

I prefer my free Stanley utility knife and free 100 pk. of blades.
Sorry, I don't know where to get free Stanley knives.

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
First off, I detest the Gerber EAB. Yes, I have 2 and I do not like using them at all. It's a clunky small razor that requires two hands and a lot of fumbling to actually  use. Not good. I'm interested in Giaco's design because it is flat and one-handed. It might be the knife to replace the Milwaukee Fastback Mini I am so in love with.

I get excited when I see options like pulling the blade out and using the handle as a straightedge. That would be a wicked cool addition to my shop. There are so many mark this/score that tasks I can see having a flat sided knife would help.

I think I'm going to do it.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 10:29:37 AM »
First off, I detest the Gerber EAB. Yes, I have 2 and I do not like using them at all. It's a clunky small razor that requires two hands and a lot of fumbling to actually  use. Not good. I'm interested in Giaco's design because it is flat and one-handed. It might be the knife to replace the Milwaukee Fastback Mini I am so in love with.

I get excited when I see options like pulling the blade out and using the handle as a straightedge. That would be a wicked cool addition to my shop. There are so many mark this/score that tasks I can see having a flat sided knife would help.

I don't like the pocket clip on the EAB, so I removed it. I also added a thumb screw to allow one handed opening. It works great one handed.

As for a straight edge, I've got plenty of them around my shop that I don't need to disassemble my knife to use it as such. And can't see myself buying a $60 knife when a straight edge is $2 from harbor freight.

It was curious to see that they EDM'd the knife. Maybe other high end knife manufactures do this. But seems like an expensive operation for a low tolerance part.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »

David, You do leave yourself open for comments when posting in any forum. I don't care for the knife due to the price...

BECAUSE you like it is reason enough to acquire such items,I own many such things that the story behind then justifies ownership. If it had a fire/spark tool many would rave about it.... ::)

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
  David, You do leave yourself open for comments when posting in any forum. I don't care for the knife due to the price...

BECAUSE you like it is reason enough to acquire such items,I own many such things that the story behind then justifies ownership. If it had a fire/spark tool many would rave about it.... ::)

Carl, I'm too old to ask permission and too young to know better.  ;) I always have some form of utility knife on me and if this one does a little better it might just be worth the pricetag. As always YMMV. I'm just happy to report the weird stuff when I find it.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »
Sorry, I don't know where to get free Stanley knives.

Ah Zef  ;D, I'm 70 years old, held a job for 55 years, yes 55. Things followed me unintentionally home over the years.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
Carl, I'm too old to ask permission and too young to know better.  ;) I always have some form of utility knife on me and if this one does a little better it might just be worth the pricetag. As always YMMV. I'm just happy to report the weird stuff when I find it.

GOOD, you may be the only one who recognizes the value of the machining and design involved.