Author Topic: 10-month-old died after her parents refused to get help for religious reasons  (Read 845 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/08/08/a-10-month-old-died-after-her-parents-refused-to-get-help-for-religious-reasons-police-say/?utm_term=.0e8e0a5bfee4

In video sermons, the man railed against vaccines, “bad medicine” and doctors whom he deemed to be “priesthoods of the medical cult.”

And he explained why he refused to vaccinate his children, saying: “It didn’t seem smart to me that you would be saving people who weren’t the fittest. If evolution believes in survival of the fittest, well then why are we vaccinating everybody? Shouldn’t we just let the weak die off and let the strong survive?”

On a Facebook page matching his name and likeness, Seth Welch of Michigan spoke of his religious beliefs, which he shared with his wife, Tatiana Fusari. Those beliefs may have contributed to their own child’s death, according to court records.

The parents, both age 27, told police that they had known for at least a month that their daughter seemed underweight, and Fusari acknowledged that they declined to seek help “for fear of having her children removed by Child Protective Services, lack of faith and trust in the medical services and religious reasons,” according to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by the station.

The medical examiner ruled the infant’s death a homicide, according to the court documents, and Welch and Fusari were arrested and charged in connection with her death.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
I heard about this, but the death doesnt seem to be about religion in the usual sense, and certainly not about her not having vaccinations.  She was not taken care of for a while, they didnt take her in the past month because they realized it would have been evident they had not been taking care of her.  There are religious issues with certain types of treatments and vaccines, but I dont believe there is any religion that is against making sure a child has food and drink. She had medical issues and needed more than average care, such as alot of time and attention, and she didnt get it.  Yeah, maybe they believed in letting the weak die and not helping her as much as she needed, but that is not a religious belief I think, just their own twisted philosophy of life, if that is true.  SO, seems like the charges are warranted, letting a weak child die and trying to excuse it by saying it is your religion is not going to cut it.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Also, the mother worked outside the home, so the farm income wasnt enough, she worked at McDonalds. ( serously, that is what I read yesterday ! )

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Investigators said Welch was responsible for the baby's care on Aug. 1, the day before Mary died. Fusari had left for work in the afternoon and returned late in the evening. Welch said the baby slept the entire time that Fusari was gone.

"Mr. Welch never gave Mary food, water or a diaper change during this time," Child Protective Services officials wrote.

Welch told the television station that the couple fed Mary.

"We were feeding her chicken, potatoes, apples, cheese. We were giving her the good stuff," Welch said. "She died. It's a tragedy. . The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh."

Mom goes to do her 8 hour shift and the 10 month old is left on her own, no diaper changes, no water or food is given by dad,  and this could not have been the first time.  This has nothing to do with religion or not trusting doctors so much as neglect. The child was shutting down, not enough energy anymore to fuss and cry to get care.  Not to mention that 10month old babies need either breast milk or formula as the major food source. Especially one who is sickly or underweight.  The negligent death charges are warranted.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/10/man-accused-in-childs-neglect-death-says-charges-unfair.html

We give better interventions and time to our underweight or sickly animals.  I dont know how long or how they first got into this downward spiral, but it is lack of care.  I have taken syringes to give milk to baby goats every 2 hours thru the night.  When even my young adult child was sick with the flu last winter, i made sure fluids, especially fluids, and foods were taken in.  I checked every hour to give fluids, if it had been awhile and not much was being taken in at once, I woke the child from sleep, sat the child up, hold the cup up to mouth.  And, that is a 20year old and not an infant ! No excuses here.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:12:17 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Fusari said that she was the first to notice Mary had died. After the baby had been sleeping for more than 16 hours under Welch’s care, Fusari said she went to check on her after returning from work.

Fusari defended her husband who was home with the child when she died. She said she didn’t find it unusual that he hadn’t attempted to wake the baby to feed her or change her diaper for such a long time.

“If she were awake, [leaving her unchecked for so long] would be very unusual,” she said adding that she thought the amount of time sleeping was not out of the ordinary. “My other children did the same thing at this age.”

Fusari is also pregnant. She is just shy of three months along.

“You can’t have a baby in here (jail),” she said. “I’m praying that I’m out before that.”

During the 40-minute interview, Fusari remained calm. While she appeared concerned about her situation, she did not cry or show extreme emotion.

She spoke lightheartedly about the jail conditions.

“At least the foods good, right?” she said with a laugh. “It could be a lot worse… I get extra food because I’m pregnant... they let me see my husband once a week.”

https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/mom-accused-of-starving-baby-i-dream-about-her-/1359221752

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
From the foxnews link:

Welch told WOOD-TV that he didn't know Mary was ill, despite an affidavit saying the 27-year-olds admitted she had been underweight for a month. He said his daughter's autopsy was conducted "lazily" and that he believes something else caused Mary's death.

"I believe I am being unfairly charged, being made an example of for my very strong faith," Welch said.

He said he cared for his children without the aid of a doctor because of his religious beliefs. The father didn't define his religion.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:11:41 PM by FreeLancer »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
From the foxnews link:

yeah, he said that. They also, mom mostly, said they didnt feel there was anything wrong with the child.  They thought she was normal skinny.  They were in denial.  In an interview he gave, dad said mom nursed the baby before driving off to work and put her down for a nap.  They did not try to wake her up for 16 to 20 hours later.  This is stupidity and neglect, not religion. Yes, he was a religious nutcase with his own made up version, but he didnt neglect her due to his beliefs,  they just thought it was fine for a 10 month old to be let alone for that long -- or he did. She was off at work and the children were under his care for all her work days, sounds like she worked swing shift, or worked "close" as we used to call it ( I worked fast food while in high school). She would expect the children to be asleep late at night when she got home.  He says he would think a starving or thirsty child would cry, and she didnt cry.  Of course not, she was too weak.  And, likely not the first time as they thought it was normal. This took time to spiral downward like this. Months of mom and dad desperately working to keep their farm thing going and baby neglected.  But, parents have to know better, it is neglect and they are responsible for her death.  They didnt even need to take her to doctors,  she needed care, time to pay attention to her food and fluid intake and chart weight. They were neglectful.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Better outcome if he’d been the one pulling the McD shifts....

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Better outcome if he’d been the one pulling the McD shifts....

Absolutely

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
I hear of this type of thing for baby goats, who are not on their moms for whatever reason, all the time.  But we aim to do better with human babies. Usually if the parents are that clueless it isnt both of them, or someone else will chime in, and yes, sometimes it is the pediatrician.  I do not think people should be required to take babies in for well baby checks at all, but that or grandma or auntie will clue in  a parent to expectations,  so will reading books on child raising. Generally a parent with previous kids has it figured out, but something has changed there

For the goat vet support page, it usually goes like this, baby(goat) doesnt want any more, baby is sleepy alot, baby is small, baby wont take that much from the bottle. baby seemed sick, so they are not giving formula but xyz supplement.  And, over and over they need to explain that a hungry baby can no longer suck, can no longer regulate body temperature correctly, is lethargic.  The only way out is to prop the baby up in a correct position, to cover the baby to retain body heat, to stimulate the baby to wake up and pay attention, to get some food in via syringe until it is strong enough to suck.  And, since it will take such little food, it has to be the right food, not weird supplements or pasturized cows milk

Very sad.  So pointless and preventable

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
throw them in jail, some ppl should not be parents

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
It's a very confusing story. Vaccines and food are not interchangeable. People can and do survive without vaccines. Food is necessary. As a PSA if you believe there is a food vaccine please seek medical advice. Food and vaccines are different things.

It's also insulting and little beyond petty namecalling. We'd be a little more austere than to write something like "The Townsends, Known for their Latvian beliefs, malnourished their child." It would be little beyond racism. Religious beliefs and food are different.

Last, they're not mentally fit to stand trial. Maybe because I grew up near farmers in trailers I can read between the lines and see that these are two dirt poor people wondering where the next meal comes from. Mom and dad are playing tag team in the worst possible way because neither could take the time off work to provide for a baby. And I honestly believe them when they say they were too dumb to feed their kid. My guess is they can barely take care of themselves.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
It's a very confusing story. Vaccines and food are not interchangeable. People can and do survive without vaccines. Food is necessary. As a PSA if you believe there is a food vaccine please seek medical advice. Food and vaccines are different things.

It's also insulting and little beyond petty namecalling. We'd be a little more austere than to write something like "The Townsends, Known for their Latvian beliefs, malnourished their child." It would be little beyond racism. Religious beliefs and food are different.

Last, they're not mentally fit to stand trial. Maybe because I grew up near farmers in trailers I can read between the lines and see that these are two dirt poor people wondering where the next meal comes from. Mom and dad are playing tag team in the worst possible way because neither could take the time off work to provide for a baby. And I honestly believe them when they say they were too dumb to feed their kid. My guess is they can barely take care of themselves.

Yes, I agree, they were dirt poor and barely making it, and the news is focusing on wrong things, nothing to do with religion of parents or vaccines or doctors, it was lack of care, lack of food. They did not maliciously want her to die, they did love her, they were neglectful. They could have avoided this, even in the beyond dual working, as likely both parents were working the equivalent of 1 1/2 or more jobs due to wanting to make the farm thing a go.  It is still a crime to neglect your child like this, that is appropriate charges, neglect, wrongful death or whatever... out of desperation or ignorance, the making the farm a go, the trying so hard to not lose the family home, was put ahead of taking care of her needs.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Nobody's going way out on a limb to put a religious spin on this.  He ain't exactly hiding it under a bushel.

TV news posted a 28 min video from their jailhouse interviews with the father:  https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/dad-unfairly-charged-in-baby-s-death/1357506802

He held two interviews with 24 Hour News 8 through the Kent County jail's computer visitation system Thursday. The first lasted 10 minutes and the second 25 minutes. In the first interview, he immediately took aim at the news reports about his charges.

"I would advise you to be careful what you say from here on out. You will answer to the Lord for everything that is said against me," Welch said sternly. "You go ahead and record it, sir."

Countering police reports, Welch said there were no obvious signs that his daughter was not well. He admitted she was thin but said that was true of his other children as well.

"In the Bible, it says that good food is our medicine. We fed her. We were feeding her chicken, potatoes, apples, cheese. We were giving her the good stuff," Welch said. "She died. It's a tragedy. … The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh."

Welch made several biblical references as he defended himself, including a reference to Abraham:

"God instructed Abraham to bring his child unto the altar. While human sacrifice in such a way is not a part of our religion — that is not what I am trying to communicate; please, I beg of you, do not chop my words. You will face God for it if you do," Welch said. "The lesson is to say that we have to be willing to go that far in our following of Christ. We have to be willing to give it all up, to put everything on the table for him."

Welch said his daughter's autopsy was conducted "lazily" and didn't go far enough in determining how his daughter died.

"It's like saying a murder victim died from bleeding to death instead of saying they died because they got their throat cut," Welch said. "I believe something else has happened here that caused Mary's body to shut down in such a way."

He lost a baby goat the same way just a few days before. 

This guy really shouldn't represent himself.