Author Topic: food storage for apartment dwellers?  (Read 3410 times)

metta2006

food storage for apartment dwellers?
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:16:07 AM »
Hi,

We are a family of three and renting a two bedroom condo. I would like to start storing food but I don't know if it is doeable living in an apartment. First of all, there isn't a lot of space to store food in suite. But we have a storage locker in the basement. It's not heated and quite damp. Damp is no good for storing food, right? I have a chest freezer where I store most of stuff there. Root cellaring is possible at all in the basement locker? Would you say I need to rent a house to store food properly?

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
Re: food storage for apartment dwellers?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:25:56 AM »
I wouldn't root cellar in the storage, but canned goods should do find if you keep them away from wet surfaces and condensation (so they won't rust). So buy canned products, or can fresh food yourselves.

And a great way to store stuff in a small space is under the beds. You can get containers small enough to slide under beds and store a surprising amount of stuff.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:42:55 AM »
Do a search on "food storage" or "apartment" and see what you find. Heres a thread discussing storage

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=6064.0

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »
Here is what we're doing...one shelf in the basement and a few boxes of stuff all around...

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=6034.0

Offline Klonus

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
I am lucky that my storage area in my apartment is on the first floor and not as damp as long as the humidity is low which has been the case this year.  Otherwise, you can put a bucket or two in your closets.  I keep some around the place because I dont want to "keep all my eggs in one basket" as they say.  It is a challenge to store food in an apartment, but can be done to a degree.