Author Topic: Compost toilet and Calif. law.  (Read 681 times)

Offline mary anne

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Compost toilet and Calif. law.
« on: August 12, 2018, 05:49:46 PM »
Hello to you all,
I can't think of a better site to mention this. I just love you all on here. Semi retired, love this site, calling it the modern Mother Earth news. I have most of those issues LOL! Our son has a ranch is rural area in Calif. Off grid 15 acres. Got for decent price. Has been living in camper. Beautiful spot of ranches. Can see Yosemite in distance, currently smokey :(  Currently renting out goats for keeping brush down, fire lines, has chickens, green house.  Just 2 people. They want to build. High dry. Obtaining water right off an issue but finally driller hit almost 200 ft. OMG I thought. Whew! Not excellent but enough so far. Next ended up ordering a manufactured home to meet all the regs. A built home would need sprinkler system and way more money. Arriving soon.800 sq. ft. Keeping all simple. Wise.  Next Septic. Another big issue. No good percs. I was on Board of Health a while in MA. I understand but he has to get the most expensive system which needs regular monitoring. Asked for tight tank,NO> All he wants is compost toilet, will conserve water. Guess what? Need a septic sytem to have a compost toilet. I have been trying to do some research for them. There has to be a way around this.  I see several communities in CA. getting approvals. ? besides already having spent $$$ for design, percs. Any ideas from anyone???? None of this makes sense for sustainability, future, water conservation, major drought in CALif.    Would so appreciated a direction. He is trying to hold off, using camper toilet.  ??? I am researching maybe a group of others with same issue, maybe get a group going??? An thoughts ideas, greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Compost toilet and Calif. law.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:44 PM »
So.......maybe build an old time outhouse out in the brushy area, where it's hidden from view???

People still do that. Ever watch The Last Frontier??  The Kinchners? all have those on their ranch property in Alaska.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:34:03 PM »
I live in CA.  It depends on county.  My county is also horrible,  if the county says you will not get sign off for habitability without a septic system, well, then they will most likely hold to that ! In my county you would need to put in the septic syste. You could ignore it and use an outhouse and composting toilet, but you would need to have a septic system installed.

Too bad about the perk test failing.

He can try again, bringing in research and data from other counties, data from an expensive composting system company. But, all he can do is try to ask again wiht this data, good possibility he will need to do an expensive septic. 

He is lucky to only have 200 ft well, mine is 250, some people by me is 300-500ft

Offline mary anne

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »
Thank You for reply,
Now that I think about it, it was closer to 300 ft . well. They are in LaGrange CA. It just make no sense, non-sense. There were some grants in MA. Maybe will have them see about that. Thank You. Mary Anne in MA. & Fl.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 10:02:33 AM »
Thank You for reply,
Now that I think about it, it was closer to 300 ft . well. They are in LaGrange CA. It just make no sense, non-sense. There were some grants in MA. Maybe will have them see about that. Thank You. Mary Anne in MA. & Fl.

not likely any grants, I suppose you can look.

It is a very expensive state to have housing in for reasonslike this, and many many others.....

Offline mary anne

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »
Yes very expensive. Got land reasonable but to do anything $$$. Even if green. Thank You.