Author Topic: Angle grinder for shiitake mushroom inoculation  (Read 1136 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Angle grinder for shiitake mushroom inoculation
« on: August 20, 2018, 09:31:14 PM »

I had gotten discouraged with mushrooms as drilling holes in the logs is so time consuming. I have a new idea however using an angle grinder as there are adapters and it makes drilling holes into the logs much faster

Here is the adapter:
https://www.fieldforest.net/mobile/Angle-Grinder-Adapter/productinfo/W%2DAGA/

Here is the actual angle grinder that they sell:
https://www.fieldforest.net/mobile/Express-Drill-Tool-125mm-for-use-with-sawdust-spawn/productinfo/W%2DSEDT%2D12/

“Your time is at a premium so why not save a lot of it by drilling your logs with our Express Drill Tool? Turning at 10,000 rpm, our converted angle grinder makes drilling holes a delight, not a chore. Using a soft steel screw tip drill bit, just touch the log and the hole is drilled. It really is that easy. As Joe always says, “Less time drilling means more time fishing.”

Includes grinder, aluminum adapter and 12.5mm bit with stop (for use with sawdust spawn). Specs: electric, 120V ac only, 7.5 amps, 10,000 rpm, paddle switch, 4.5 lbs.”

======================

However, I want to use a cordless angle grinder as my camp has no electricity. Hopefully I can plug the charger into my 12 V battery. This angle grinder looks like it fits the bill and I had called field and forest and asked them about using a cordless grinder as well:

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/BOSCH-4-1-2-Cordless-Angle-Grinder-53DM71

=====================

They also have tools to fill in the drilled holes in record time

https://www.fieldforest.net/mobile/Okuda-Hand-Inoculator-125mm/productinfo/W%2DOHI%2D12/

Offline Jeffsmith

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Angle grinder for shiitake mushroom inoculation
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 01:34:25 AM »
I want to note that Angle grinder safety is critical when using this type of tool used to cut hard materials like stone and metals. An angle grinder comes with enough power to spin abrasive discs 8000 times a minute. That’s well over 100 times a second. Angle grinder safety should be the starting point for anyone using one of these powerful tools to do a job.

EDIT: Deleted spam link, banned spammer
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:24:32 AM by Mr. Bill »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 04:11:39 AM »

Those things do seem to have a lot of power. I was told you need one that operates at 10,000 rpm

Here are some videos. Given the speed, the guys hand in the second video may get kind of close to the grinder

The rate at which a log can be drilled is quite dramatic compared to using a drill and looks much easier. I actually developed tennis elbow from drilling logs a few years ago with a standard drill

https://youtu.be/rrVXu3LkkJg

https://youtu.be/0cd_fXxQq3c

This one shows how slow a regular drill is, what a difference

https://youtu.be/TAYrWINi0x4

https://youtu.be/kCiBt9foTFY

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 10:28:53 AM »
I know absolutely zero about mushrooms. But those tools look WAY overpriced to me. To start, the adapter any machine shop can make one for about $10. The angle grinder can be had at harbor freight for a tenth of that price and probably last just as long. Even a battery powered one from there will last a long time.

But how many logs are you drilling that you can save money doing this while buying all these tools? If you spend hundreds of dollars on tools to grow a couple mushrooms, is it really worth it? I would think tools like this are for when you are doing hundreds of thousands of mushrooms. As just a guy doing this on the side after work, how is buying these tools cost effective?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 10:51:17 AM »
I know absolutely zero about mushrooms. But those tools look WAY overpriced to me. To start, the adapter any machine shop can make one for about $10. The angle grinder can be had at harbor freight for a tenth of that price and probably last just as long. Even a battery powered one from there will last a long time.

I have never heard of harbor freight, interesting. I see there are some of those stores around here though you have to drive a ways.

But how many logs are you drilling that you can save money doing this while buying all these tools? If you spend hundreds of dollars on tools to grow a couple mushrooms, is it really worth it? I would think tools like this are for when you are doing hundreds of thousands of mushrooms. As just a guy doing this on the side after work, how is buying these tools cost effective?

If I buy the tools and do mushroom logs every year, it will add up. A 5 pound bag of sawdust spawn can do quite a few logs. It can also be a good cold weather activity as I need stuff to keep me occupied. It also helps me to learn more about growing mushrooms. I already have learned a great deal. If I was retired some day, possibly I could get more serious about mushroom growing.

On the other hand, if I had to use a standard drill to do logs, I think I have had enough of that and would not bother to grow any more mushrooms if that was my only option.

There are ways of cutting slots with a chain saw or a totem method but my impression is that those are inferior methods for shiitake. They may work well for oyster mushrooms but I am tired of growing oyster mushrooms. I like the shiitake better I think. Oysters are easier to grow but seem to work best on poplar logs. Somewhere on the web you can probably find people who have grown shiitake using the totem method but I personally have not had the best luck with it and trying to grow mushrooms is sometimes a weird learning experience

The last time I had a big bag of oyster mushrooms, I went to the buffet at the Indian restaurant. The head chef wasn't in so I told the waiter, "just give him this bag of mushrooms". I didn't get any money for them that time and I didn't care, I was just trying to get rid of them. I have given them to my friends and neighbors. A couple of years ago I sold a small bag to the Indian restaurant. After the logs are all spent, I will have a bunch of dead wood in my back yard. I don't think oyster logs last more than a couple of years
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:18:15 AM by surfivor »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 12:33:38 PM »

I also need a good excuse to cut down a few nice oak and maple trees to create more sun for planting blueberries and such. Those trees may make nice shiitake logs hopefully. I don't always like to take down oak trees

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »
It might work better. And for a few hundred dollars you might have a better experience 45 minutes per year. For the money being discussed here you could buy a used drill press on Craigslist and build a floating jig that allows you to index a log. I'm not saying it will be better but a hell of a lot safer and you'll be able to use it until you're too old to lift logs.

I'm generally of the belief that you shouldn't turn one tool into another. I'm not in love with turning an agle grinder into a drill and when I hear "fast, repeatable holes" I can't help but think of a drill press.

FWIW I think I paid $50 for my hunk of junk Duracraft drill press on a Craigslist ad 4ish years ago. Yeah, it's a piece of crap from the 70s. But it drills accurately and with my jigs does exerything I want. If you buy a pen from me I 100% guarantee the hole down the middle was made with piece of crap 1970s Duracraft drill press.

I'm not crapping on the angle grinder. I have one and it has its place. I'm not even suggesting a drill press will save time. But if you built a 45 cradle on a sled that ran on rails on a drill press you'd put in a lot less effort and be safer. As a rule of thumb we only use hand tools when a proper power tool isn't possible. It's better to bring your stock to the tool than bring your tool to the stock.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 02:55:13 PM »
It might work better. And for a few hundred dollars you might have a better experience 45 minutes per year. For the money being discussed here you could buy a used drill press on Craigslist and build a floating jig that allows you to index a log. I'm not saying it will be better but a hell of a lot safer and you'll be able to use it until you're too old to lift logs.

I'm generally of the belief that you shouldn't turn one tool into another. I'm not in love with turning an agle grinder into a drill and when I hear "fast, repeatable holes" I can't help but think of a drill press.

FWIW I think I paid $50 for my hunk of junk Duracraft drill press on a Craigslist ad 4ish years ago. Yeah, it's a piece of crap from the 70s. But it drills accurately and with my jigs does exerything I want. If you buy a pen from me I 100% guarantee the hole down the middle was made with piece of crap 1970s Duracraft drill press.

I'm not crapping on the angle grinder. I have one and it has its place. I'm not even suggesting a drill press will save time. But if you built a 45 cradle on a sled that ran on rails on a drill press you'd put in a lot less effort and be safer. As a rule of thumb we only use hand tools when a proper power tool isn't possible. It's better to bring your stock to the tool than bring your tool to the stock.

My camp is primitive with no electricity, no workshop area etc ..

The cordless angle grinder also seems to mean it can be used anywhere in the field. If I bought another 10 acres up in the woods someplace, I could go there and operate the angle grinder anyplace out in the woods as it is very portable

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 11:13:44 AM »

I am just leaving harbor freight store in Bangor Maine.
The only cordless angle grinder is 7000 rpm, I
was told get at least 10,000 rpm.

They did sell air powered tools, I didn’t quite
 get the attachment for the tool I would need
and how it might fit. They sell small 3 gallon air compressor
That may run off a tailgate $114 generator for enough of a stretch to
Operate such a tool I guess. That seemed interesting but I am not really sure

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 08:59:43 AM »
I'm about to start doing mushroom logs too.  I already own an angle grinder anyway, so buying just an adapter will not be that big of a deal.  My question though is wouldn't just a regular drill chuck converter adapter do the same thing?

Something like this:  https://smile.amazon.com/Toolcool-1-5-10mm-Adapter-Convertor-Grinder/dp/B07BRRX93P?keywords=angle+grinder+drill+chuck&qid=1539183114&sr=8-4&ref=sr_1_4

It's a little bit cheaper, but also I think you would get more use  out of it.  This mushroom adapter that the mushroom company sales looks like it holds the bit with a pin that slides through the bit and the adapter to hold the bit in place.  So, their adapter would only be able to hold that bit only.  With an adapter like the amazon one above, you would be able to twist it to hold any bit.  So, you could use it with allot more bits instead of just the one with the pin hole in it. 

What do you think on this?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
I'm about to start doing mushroom logs too.  I already own an angle grinder anyway, so buying just an adapter will not be that big of a deal.  My question though is wouldn't just a regular drill chuck converter adapter do the same thing?

Something like this:  https://smile.amazon.com/Toolcool-1-5-10mm-Adapter-Convertor-Grinder/dp/B07BRRX93P?keywords=angle+grinder+drill+chuck&qid=1539183114&sr=8-4&ref=sr_1_4

It's a little bit cheaper, but also I think you would get more use  out of it.  This mushroom adapter that the mushroom company sales looks like it holds the bit with a pin that slides through the bit and the adapter to hold the bit in place.  So, their adapter would only be able to hold that bit only.  With an adapter like the amazon one above, you would be able to twist it to hold any bit.  So, you could use it with allot more bits instead of just the one with the pin hole in it. 

What do you think on this?

I am still trying to figure it out. I am between jobs and have not tried to order an angle grinder.

One guy told me to use a generator but I seem to recall there is an energy burst when you first hit a power tool and I would want to use a small generator. That is why I am still thinking of cordless, but many angle grinders that are cordless are less than 10,000 RPM

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
Well, they do have a bump in power when you first turn them on.  But to only power one device, you should be okay.  I just ordered the drill bit and the $10.00 drill adapter from Amazon.  I will update you how it works once I use it.  I think it will work, but I'll let you know.

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »
Oh,  and if you are interested in doing some logs, this is the best  guide that I have found: https://www.mushroomcompany.com/resources/shiitake/CornellShiitakeGuide.pdf

Offline ChangeHope

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 06:43:36 AM »
Just to update on this.  The cheaper drill chuck attachment that I posted earlier, will not fit my Dewalt angle grinder.  So, saving the $20 by buying that attachment vs the ones they label as log innoculating bits will not work.  Since I didn't have the right attachment but I had folks coming to help me over the weekend, I went ahead and did thirty logs with just a regular drill.  Never again!  It takes so much more time and muscle power to do it with a drill.  Do yourself a favor and get the grinder attachment that they label as being used for log innoculation!

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 10:57:43 AM »
Just to update on this.  The cheaper drill chuck attachment that I posted earlier, will not fit my Dewalt angle grinder.  So, saving the $20 by buying that attachment vs the ones they label as log innoculating bits will not work.  Since I didn't have the right attachment but I had folks coming to help me over the weekend, I went ahead and did thirty logs with just a regular drill.  Never again!  It takes so much more time and muscle power to do it with a drill.  Do yourself a favor and get the grinder attachment that they label as being used for log innoculation!

Thanks,

I need to get setup with an angle grinder by April if I am going to do this as that is an ideal time for drilling the holes. I can fell the trees a bit earlier .. probably late February or Early to mid March