Author Topic: VPN Provider Recommendations?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
VPN Provider Recommendations?
« on: August 21, 2018, 04:52:10 AM »
I keep hearing good things about Nord, which is based in Panama and thus not a party to the 14 eyes thing. Also ProtonVPN, in Switzerland. What are some other good ones?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: VPN Provider Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
I use proton for secure email for my domain. but have not tried it for VPN. I was not aware they had a vpn option.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 01:01:29 PM »
Are you happy with protonmail?

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »
I've been using NordVPN. Works very nicely, easy to install and multi-platform (PCs, IOS, Android).
Only problem I've had is that when my iPad or iPhone goes to sleep, the apps (mail, FB, etc.) keep working using the wifi but the VPN also takes a nap. Probably a setting someplace to fix this, but I haven't looked.

Only option I considered was shutting everything down before sending the device to sleep, but that kinda defeats the purpose of "handy internet devices" having to wait to restart everything.
No such problem with the PC however, used my laptop in the people's republik of illinois last month using VPN and it was always up.
One side note - if you go through a Canadian NordVPN server (as I did when in Alaska), everyone starts to show you your Canadian IP address. Kinda funny.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 04:44:27 PM »
Are you happy with protonmail?

And which price plan do you have?

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
I've been using NordVPN. Works very nicely, easy to install and multi-platform (PCs, IOS, Android).

iOS is a big selling point for me.  ProtonVPN doesn't have that, yet.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 10:01:05 AM »
I tried the free versions of Proton mail and Proton VPN.  My plan for Proton mail was to only use it for things I didn't want GMail snooping into- or hackers.  I kept the free mail but upgraded to their paid VPN, at least in part to help support their efforts.  I use the VPN on my laptop and an aging small Android tablet.  Even on the tablet the VPN is pretty quick.  Give the free versions a try and see how you like it.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 12:08:19 PM »
Thanks, Ralph.

I am really liking Proton’s mission.  Seems like their heart’s in the right place and they’ve got the brain power to pull it off.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »
Yes, I like Proton's ideas.  If I am not mistaken the paid VPN version is faster and allows extra features.  Reading their 'about me' information made me think about why I have to go to a foreign country to obtain some privacy. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 06:44:26 PM »
I signed up for the free ProtonMail, which was easy and private, and it looks like I can use the same login credentials for the VPN, but haven't actually tried it yet.  Once you have the account they'll accept bitcoin payments, so I'll probably spring for a paid account to help them out.

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »
It may be cheaper to rent a virtual somewhere outside the US and roll your own VPN.

Usually I open an encrypted/compressed SSH tunnel and send SOCKS traffic (including DNS) through it.  This has the advantage of failing hard (not leaking) like VPN setups can when the circuit breaks.  And also lets you run stuff on the server if you want.
Windoze people might want to look at putty, *nix people check out autossh;  it restarts the session if it drops.

There are 128MB servers available in europe for $10/year.  Can pay in bitcoin.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
I've never tried it, but there is also Open VPN- but I believe there is a bit of a setup to get it working. 

Proton VPN has a 'kill switch' setting which will break your connection if you loose VPN. 

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 12:29:17 AM »
I use Nord VPN and I don't have a lot of complaints.  You occasionally get a slow connection and I will disconnect and re-connect.  That usually fixes the problem.  The other problem is it is hard to turn off in the iOS app.  I have been paying about $45/ 6 months and that is a fair price.  It is nice if you travel a lot because I don't trust open wireless networks like you get in hotels and some airports.  Your a lot safer if you use a VPN.  A big plus is the iOS and android apps. 

I would also give a big thumbs up to proton mail.  Probably the most secure and private web mail system.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 07:00:24 AM »
If you want more sophisticated capabilities (like chaining/cascading through multiple servers) and no logging, check out https://www.perfect-privacy.com.   They have been a goto since back in day when you could send them cash in mail.  They only require an email.  So you can buy debit card when traveling, go to library, set up email account, send them payment.  Boom, you have sophisticated VPN with no contact info being shared.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »
Proton VPN is apparently based on open vpn.  If anyone wants to try open VPN go to GRC.com and search for detailed instructions on setting it up.  There's a lot of good security info and software there for free.  Check out the password information, it's really good plus they have a calculator to tell you how long it would take to brute force a password.  I revamped my important passwords based on what I read there.  A number of my old passwords could have been brute forced in under a minute!