Author Topic: Mild dehydration counter-measures?  (Read 941 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Mild dehydration counter-measures?
« on: August 28, 2018, 10:20:59 AM »
it happened to me, but I still do not know if it was dehydration or heat fatigue.

I was making chores and refinish work in a closed apartment on the last floor, right under the roof. It was a sauna just by itself.
what started as a 5 minute chore lasted and hour so I had not taken provision for any water.
When i returned no matter how much water I took it was not enough.
Did not check pee color, but earlier that day it was real yellow. Seems like I had a bad start to begin with.
But i did not feel any weary of fatigued.

Assuming I was mildly dehydrated, what would you suggest for replenishment.
what i cannot procure locally is gatorade/powerade powder in quarts and generic multivitamins.
Yes, i know of pedialyte/vitalyte in sticks packaging but even ordering is unattainable.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Mild dehydration counter-measures?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 10:27:07 AM »
Perhaps you could prepare a drink as suggested in this article by My Health.Alberta.ca.

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=str2254&

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 04:06:04 PM »
When I poured concrete I would bring 2 gallons of water and 2 gallons of water with a little honey, a sprinkle of salt, and the juice of half a lemon in each. Think poor man's Gatorade. Basically I got sick of bland water. I remember at least once drinking all four without urinating. Long hot day.

If you use Google you'll find dozens of homemade Gatorade variants. They use little more than water, salt, and citrus. Do you have lemons in Greece?  ;)

Other products like coconut water work as well. In winter I hydrate with chicken stock. Not as good in the summer.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:32:15 AM »
I know the ORS solution, infact I have some of the ingredients in ziplocs in most of my FAKs.
But I need something more convenient and tasty.
question is. is gatorade good enough for this instance?

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 12:58:55 AM »
question is. is gatorade good enough for this instance?

Most likely, along with plenty of plain water.  Whatever it takes to prevent your urine looking like Coca-Cola.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 05:19:24 AM »
Gatorade has a lot of sugar in it-And I’ve read recently that it doesn’t have as many electrolytes as you would assume from the advertising...but if you are looking for something easy to buy that would help it’s probably useful-maybe dilute it with water? Or drink one & follow with water?

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 05:45:15 AM »
Like Frugal mentioned, it's a lot of sugar, and not enough electrolytes. You only need to keep it basic. Sodium, magnesium, and potassium.
I do iodized Morton's salt in water, and a magnesium glycinate tab. I drink the salted water all day when it's hot out, and at the minimum, in the mornings when it's not hot.
I recommend magnesium glycinate, because it causes FAR less gastrointestinal distress than standard magnesium citrate (think milk of magnesia effects).
The potassium I don't supplement because I eat a diet rich with it (beef, spinach, avocado, etc...).
Basically, there are a lot healthier ways than Gatorade. Google Ketorade for a homemade, no carb electrolyte drink.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »
Pickle Juice.

The Professor

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 06:57:56 PM »
How about switzel?  The molasses would provide potassium.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »
Googled Ketorade and found two recipes. One was a juice-flavored basic ORS solution, and the other contain some kind of vinegar.
It also used soda water which gave me the idea.

I already "cut" my juices 50% with soda (sparkling) water when i need a refreshing cold feeling. So what i plan doing is -once i find the time to- make small packages of ORS and add this to my drinks.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »
A small update.
I just tried my idea of  an ORS drink with half water and half juice..
Boy, that thing is objectionable!
But the juice helps A Lot with the after taste.  I think I have made me a more natural Gatorade.
Yet it is still easier to gulp it down once.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 05:59:58 AM »
Haha, you will get used to it. It's all about the effect. My two drinks, salted water, and club soda with 2tbsp apple cider vinegar & lemon juice, have become very enjoyable to me. My friends think it's gross and weird, and my family already know I'm weird, haha.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 08:52:00 AM »
indeed, 95% of what we accept as edible comes from daily use/acceptance. Look at the infants. You can feed them almost anything

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 06:30:09 AM »
Haha, you will get used to it. It's all about the effect. My two drinks, salted water, and club soda with 2tbsp apple cider vinegar & lemon juice, have become very enjoyable to me. My friends think it's gross and weird, and my family already know I'm weird, haha.

Vinegar was the drink of choice for the French Foreign Legion in those desert climates ,as I have read, and the vinegar went well as to prepare the body for the rigors of desert life. ME?? I used to consume a big dill pickle and the vinegar within the package when working on fences and water wells and such with the Southern summer heat.