Author Topic: Let's talk about belts  (Read 557 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Let's talk about belts
« on: August 30, 2018, 06:17:16 PM »
Yeah, I know, I can just stop at Sears or any other department store and pick up a belt.  But I want much better quality than this.

I'm in an office environment every day.  While I don't wear a suit, I do go business casual.  I'm in khaki pants and a polo or button down shirt.

What I'm looking for:
  • High quality - I'd like to use this belt for at least 5 years (a Sears belt won't last)
  • Brown leather
  • Money belt is a plus. Not required, but would make points
  • Heavy weight - I can't carry, but like a heavy belt.
  • U.S. made - not a deal breaker, but I prefer to buy U.S. made products when I can.
  • Under $100 - I have a tough time paying this for a belt, but if it fits bullet 1, then that's a $20 belt each year for 5 years.

I really like the looks of this Brown Bullhide Max Thickness Money Belt, but don't know anything about this company.  Don't really want to spend the money unless they are high quality

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Let's talk about belts
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:18:10 PM »
I have one of these:  https://www.mcfeelys.com/graber-leather-belts-width-1-1-2-in-size-l-qty-1-9rx47.html

Honestly, it’s too sturdy for what I typically need, but it’s built like a tank and might actually last forever. No money functionality, but you could buy three for $100.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
Try BullhideBelts.com   I have 2 of them and they have a sale going on.  They are heavy duty leather with some using thinner leather for dress belts.  You 'build your own', and as you change options the picture reflects the changes.  I have a money belt which I use daily and a regular belt- happy with both.  Another thing I like about Bullhide is they are made in the good old USA.  Take a look, they probably have what you want. 

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
I have one of these:  https://www.mcfeelys.com/graber-leather-belts-width-1-1-2-in-size-l-qty-1-9rx47.html

Honestly, it’s too sturdy for what I typically need, but it’s built like a tank and might actually last forever. No money functionality, but you could buy three for $100.
I actually like that one. Similar to what I have:
https://www.hanksbelts.com/collections/leather-gun-belts/products/hanks-gunner-leather-gun-belt?variant=15594493510
I wanted one piece, no stitching, thick leather belt. I don't carry with this belt. It is my everyday belt and it has held up great for the past several years. Highly recommend.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »
Try BullhideBelts.com   I have 2 of them and they have a sale going on.
That's actually the site I linked to.  The look very well built.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 07:32:10 PM »
I was going to suggest Milt Sparks' belts, but I just found out they're over $100, now.

I have two that were worn for over ten years, each worn every other day or so.  Still have them. . .sadly. . .they shrunk significantly over time.  Don't understand that, they still LOOK the same size as when I bought them.

The Professor

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 07:39:33 PM »
Still have them. . .sadly. . .they shrunk significantly over time.
Now that's funny.

As for the belt, I just can't bring myself to go over $100 for a belt.  I'm really leaning towards the Bull Hide Belts.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
Now that's funny.

As for the belt, I just can't bring myself to go over $100 for a belt.  I'm really leaning towards the Bull Hide Belts.

I know. . .I was a bit surprised that the price went up $24 to $123.

However, that having been said, I use Milt Sparks leather almost exclusively.  My daily belt carry is a USP45 Expert in a 55BN holster, a dual Magazine Carrier and a Flashlight carrier on a double-thickness belt.  I have worn that combination (in a varying, and sadly growing, number of sizes) in almost every type of environment in the world.  From Desert to Jungle to Alpine, Woodland, Office, etc., their leather has been with me for over 30 years.  In fact, my wife bought the above-mentioned pistol for me on our 10th Anniversary.   I had to send it in to Milt Sparks to have a holster custom-made because there were (are?) no forms to mold the leather over.  I have two of each color (Brown, black and oxblood) that I've worn since then.  All still look great and are serviceable.

I'll go out on a limb and say that, as long as you CAN wear them, I don't think they'll ever go bad.  I have had to retouch the edges with dye a couple of times over the past 20 years, but the belts, themselves, are still handsome.  No stitching problems, no "hardware" problems.

But, that's just an opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it!

The Professor

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 11:47:19 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 07:57:21 PM »
However, that having been said, I use Milt Sparks leather almost exclusively.  My daily belt carry is a USP45 Expert in a 55BN holster, a dual Magazine Carrier and a Flashlight carrier on a double-thickness belt.

I'm in MD, so there's little chance of me needing a carry belt, at least until after retirement.