Author Topic: Getting creative with Structural Insulation Panels and fire rating  (Read 243 times)

Offline montanamegan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Getting creative with Structural Insulation Panels and fire rating
« on: September 03, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
Hi- Does anyone have any creative ideas for how to add a fire-resistant layer to plywood? I am building a house with SIPs. I would like to have the plywood of the SIPs be the interior walls/ceiling. I want to avoid using drywall due to 1) cost of labor and materials and 2) I prefer the rough texture to the smooth perfection of sheetrock. My land has ZERO building codes, so I could do this, but the house would likely be un-insurable due to the poor fire rating of plywood. I am working with a contractor who recommends drywall as the cheapest way to build fire resistance. Before I move forward with that, I thought I'd see if any of you have other creative ideas for fire-resistant barriers that can be applied to plywood. I would be painting it, so it doesn't matter if it's opaque. Intumescent paint is one option, but by the time I use enough of it to build a thick enough layer for a 1-hour fire rating, it is not cost-effective compared to drywall. It also seems like insurance companies want something that comes with an engineered fire rating, and intumescent paint needs to be applied by a licensed painter to achieve that. Does anyone know of any other materials that I could look into? Thanks all!