Author Topic: Levi Strauss donates money and advocates for gun control  (Read 1552 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Levi Strauss donates money and advocates for gun control
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »

Does this make you want to douse your Levi jeans in gasoline and burn them ?

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/404902-levis-teams-up-with-gun-control-group-we-simply-cannot-stand-by-silently%3famp

American denim giant Levi Strauss & Co. announced Tuesday that it is launching a series of new initiatives to benefit groups working to prevent gun violence.

Bergh acknowledged that the decision to advocate for gun control is a controversial one.

"While taking a stand can be unpopular with some, doing nothing is no longer an option," he wrote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxbusiness.com/retail/levi-strauss-ceo-calls-for-stricter-gun-laws.amp

The CEO of Levi Strauss urged business leaders to back new gun-control measures, saying the jeans maker will provide $1 million to activists and partner with Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety to promote stricter firearm laws.

Levi Strauss created a fund to distribute $1 million in grants over the next four years, and Bergh said the company will work with Everytown for Gun Safety and Bloomberg to form a “coalition of business leaders” who support stricter gun laws.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Levi Strauss donates money and advocates for gun control
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:09:48 PM »
*shrug*

I am not sure the boycott really does anything anymore.

I can't boycott the NFL, I dont spend money or even time on them. Havent watched a game in years, no branded clothing, nothing.

I dont eat out much. Boycotting chick-fila wouldn't mean anything, never spent money there anyway. Tasty but I have spent 30 bucks there in the last 8 years.

I liked BREXIT. So I figured I would show solidarity by buying beer from old blighty. I probably buy an extra $75 a year from them that I hadn't intended otherwise.

Levis... I dont own jeans! Can't stand denim pants, period. No matter the politics.

I am boycotting Dicks sporting goods. I didnt shop thetr much to begin with but it nil now. Problem is I never really bought gun stuff there, it was the occasional dumb bell or ab wheel of something.

There are so many choices in the world that my choices are my choices. Do we all as a society share enough things to really pressure companies? Short of hosing your customer base like Smith and Wesson did in the 90s, what's the purpose of it?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 11:56:03 PM »
I agree to some extent but it’s also why the libertarian claim that in many ways the government does everything wrong and ignores what corporations do has never quite made
sense to me. Here is a good example of what corporations may do and banks may also try to prevent companies involved in guns in being able to get loans of have credit cards payment systems

I also have not always been able to make sense of the idea that you can influence every negative corporate action by your spending habits. No, I support things like anti trust laws, racketeering laws, and banking regulations in many cases. The arguments against such things has not been very compelling.

This may not be a perfect example I suppose in every way of what I refer to but it does remind me of that. If companies try to keep going down this kind of road, I am not sure where it may lead
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:17:18 AM by surfivor »

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 06:57:44 AM »
I'd rather make them an iron clad deal.
Implement all the gun control laws you want, but if there's a gun crime 6 months from that date all gun control laws will be erased forever !!!
They'd never go for it though, they only want to take guns away from law abiding citizens to further their control, goals, agendas, and they know if the citizenry is armed there would be an open season on politicians, lawyers, and corporate directors.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »
I'm not sure it would make any difference. While I do wear Levi's jeans I buy one pair every 5 years or so.

I hate to say it but brand reputation just doesn't matter in the mid range consumer staples. It matters only on the very small or very big. You might skip a restaurant that had a "no Irish" sign or be choosy about car brands but you have no idea the background company when you buy a can of soup or a snow shovel.

I'm surprised that this makes sense to Levi's. But I suppose their target demographic is a lot younger than me. I assume they have the numbers to support the decision.

If it really bugs you write a letter. Very few do and consumer feedback gets heard throughout even the vastest corporate structures.

Offline atl

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 10:19:39 AM »
I don't know if it makes much difference but it is the principal of it. I am like chem soldier, I rarely shop at any of the places listed and I have quit watching most professional sports many years ago so my impact is minimal. I also only buy Wrangler jeans as they sponsor professional rodeo which I enjoy watching, and I like their fit and style. There again I bet I don't spend over a hundred dollars on jeans a year.