Author Topic: Buying a new chainsaw  (Read 594 times)

Offline vinko

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Buying a new chainsaw
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:11:47 AM »
I would like to buy a chainsaw for smaller trees. I would like to know which ones do you have and would recommend to me.

Offline cannonball

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Working towards being an ant
Re: Buying a new chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 03:20:04 PM »
I believe Jack recommends this one if you have the ability to plug it in:

Oregon 570995 CS1500 Self-Sharpening Electric Chainsaw

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »
Or, run down to your local saw/mower shop and visit with them. Ask which saws are the most popular and trouble free.

Offline rellimkm

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »
Another place you can look are tractor dealerships.  I'd agree to go find a local place to size it correctly.   Not only size of the trees, but quantity.  Cutting medium size trees with my small saw (old Stihl) all day can get tiring and you want to keep your wits about you with a chainsaw in hand.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »
I had a small Stihl, it was strictly a homeowners level chainsaw.  Somehow the air filter shifted and it sucked in some debris and scored the cylinder wall.

I went shopping for a new saw and decided to go with an Echo.  I was going to get the Echo CS-490, it's well reviewed and was about the size I was looking for.  Then I looked a little more and saw the CS-501P.  It's the same size as the CS-490, but has more power and some pro features.  It was about $100 more than the 490, though.  I stopped by my local Echo dealer and found out in 3 weeks they were having their Echo Customer appreciation sale.  All tools were 25% off.  That brought the 501 down to the 490 price.  I got it and I'm thrilled with the performance. 

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
I have an echo with a 20” bar and a smaller Husqvarna with a 16” bar (don’t remember the model numbers).  The Echo is a beast.  In a good way.  It’s fuel filter seems to last longer, it starts better, and it idles better.  In the future I plan to stick with Echo.

Offline leadeye

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »
It depends on what you mean by smaller trees. are they hardwoods like oak or softwoods like pine? Are we talking saplings or 60 footers that have not filled out yet? I run Husquavarna rancher series saws (455 and 460). These saws are supposed to fall between homeowner and pro saws and have not failed me yet, and I run them alot. If you are going to use a saw occasionally for small jobs I'd look at the Echo saws. They have an OK reputation. Just remember to keep your chain sharp and your air filter clean. If you don't use the saw often run it dry or use stabil and non ethanol gas. Ethanol can separate and turn into a gel which will clog the carb when you need it most. Sorry for the rant but I've learned a lot about this over the past several years.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 06:48:11 AM »
A chainsaw is the rare exception where buying smaller is better. My dad cleared trees on the family farm and got a Stihl witha 3 foot bar. While it easily mows through any tree on the property it's like bringing a machine gun to a game of checkers.

There's a hilarious (scary) picture of Nick Offerman and his chainsaw:

https://imgur.com/gallery/r1vlW

I don't do a lot of chainsaw work but when I do I borrow my brother in law's 16" Stihl. If I'm honest I'd rather buy the riht size than the right brand. Longer bars rapidly turn into gas fed broadswords that frequently become unwieldy.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
Like my wife says, focus on engine size rather than blade size.   :o

Actually, that works well for chainsaws too because the larger engine will move the blade better.  Keep the blade sharp, the air filter clean, and the bar oiled.  But like others have said, it depends on what you're doing with it. 

If you're just doing some limbing, then a 14-16" is probably fine.  If it's trimming type stuff, then a 12" would be fine.  If you're cutting up firewood, limbing, and occasionally knocking down a 24-30" wide hardwood tree, then a 16-18" blade is as big as you need for 95% of the homeowner type jobs.  Ultimately though, I'd go for one with at least a 45 cc engine size if you're doing anything more than trimming.

I have an 18" Husqvarna 450 with a 50 cc engine and really like it.  The only other saws I've used is a smaller Poulan Wild Thing and a professional lineman's Stihl.  All ran fine.  Even though it was smaller, the Stihl was a nice lightweight saw.  But being a Stihl pro-series, it was also well out of my price range. 

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 05:24:27 PM »
One thing I forgot, watch the model numbers, not the names.  I don't recall if it's the Stihl FarmBoss, the Husqvarna Rancher or the Echo Timberwolf.  But I recall reading that one of them had dropped down in quality from a farm/ranch grade saw to a homeowner grade.  Usually not a big deal, but if you are buying something based on the reputation of the model name and it's the next level down, you may be disappointed.

Offline The Morgan Hill Homesteading Project

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 07:54:16 PM »
the first and only saw I bought so far is a Sthil MS 250. I bought chaps some truefuel, some oil and I was out the door about 500 dollars. I live in CA, so everything is a little bit more expensive out here. if you are just using it around the house and are within about 90 feet of an electrical outlet you may consider getting an electric saw.

please get chaps. they are one of the best insurance policies you can get. you only use the chaps once. buy once, cry once. get a tourniquet and some quick clot, make sure you have your cell phone or your ham radio on you in the event you have need medical attention, you will need medical attention if you get hurt with a chainsaw.

Offline timmo1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 01:12:50 AM »
Hi
What is your price limit? Do you have a dealer nearby, who can help you with a recommendation? If so, what is it that is selling (Stihl, Husquvarna, etc.)?
I personally have Stihl (026 and 034). Although they are now already a bit older spikes, but they are o robust (we make 20 solid meters of firewood a year + possibly long wood). If you are looking for second-hand chainsaws, then I would recommend you Stihl 026 or MS 260. They are enough for your purposes and you would have room for improvement.
Husqvarna is also building very good saws. You can also have a look. Have previously worked only with larger Huski saws and they are very good, that's maybe something would come into question for you.
If you are looking for a new chainsaw then I would recommend you to visit this website [SPAM LINK DELETED] and read some reviews. It will surely help you by the desition...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:08:08 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »
MODERATOR NOTE: Banned the spammer who was using the names vinko, rellimkm, and timmo1 to start a conversation with himself in order to post spam. :zombie:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 03:35:16 PM »
MODERATOR NOTE: Banned the spammer who was using the names vinko, rellimkm, and timmo1 to start a conversation with himself in order to post spam. :zombie:

Oh I hope you gave em a headache Bill........ :facepalm: :rofl: