Author Topic: What type of radiator shall I buy?  (Read 339 times)

Offline Gamer

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
What type of radiator shall I buy?
« on: September 20, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »
I rent a small flat which came with an electric non-oil-filled convection radiator, it works fine but it's at least 14 years old and I want to buy a spare in case it breaks down.
Basically, shall I buy a similar non-oil one, or should I go in for an oil-filled one?
I've googled around to compare prices and efficiency and running costs etc but it's still a mystery to me.
Any suggestions? Thanks..:)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: What type of radiator shall I buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 05:28:13 AM »
  I think an oil filled heater has much less potential for fire and is safer around kids and pets . The  oil transfers heat more consistently within the heater and adds to the actual radiator effectiveness without extreme hot spots.

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 09:18:07 AM »
Im completely ignorant to these things
If it is filled with oil how is it less dangerous? Is it mineral oil?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »
...efficiency and running costs...

On that, I don't think you'll see much difference.  Any electric heating element is turning nearly 100% of its electrical power into heat.

We've got an oil-filled heater that we sometimes use in the bedroom when there's a north wind.  I like that no part of the unit gets extremely hot -- it would take unusual skill to accidentally start a fire with it.

Although it's a "radiator", I suspect most of the heat doesn't get radiated -- instead, it warms the air.  Which means a nice warm ceiling and a cold floor.  If I were relying on one of these for heat, I'd probably add a quiet fan running on low, to keep the air mixed.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
Agree on every point that Bill made.  I have a Delonge oil filled radiator that I've had for at least 10 years.  I don't use it often, but it works great each time.

Mine does get too hot to leave my hand on, but it won't actually burn me if I touch it.  I also put a small fan behind it to move the heat around in the room.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 05:48:33 AM »
Im completely ignorant to these things
If it is filled with oil how is it less dangerous? Is it mineral oil?

The oil allows that the heat is spread over the entire unit and so you have no intense 'hot spots as you get with heater elements of other heaters or the lamp style heaters as these can catch fire. The oil heater allows for safer  heat distribution and no pets,kids,or housewares are in danger of catching fire....though one must still use caution with power cords and circuit loading with any electric heating as power cords can get pinched or over-worked and wall circuits overloaded and promote fire.The oil heater does not heat to 'glow in the dark' ,high temperature levels and is much more refined...I do advise that adding a fan can often cause the convection designed fan to over-work and remind that it is NOT DESIGNED to be used with a fan ...DON'T DO THIS....DANGEROUS!!!