Author Topic: Sober October  (Read 1129 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Sober October
« on: September 25, 2018, 01:28:53 PM »
It's real simple. During the month of October no alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, or any other intoxicant. Joe Rogan and some fellow comedians did it last year and in the UK it's a fundraising thing. Rather than buying booze you donate to cancer charities.

I don't know about the deep meanings and whatnot but I had a couple buddies jump on the challenge this year. So I went in on it. We have our kids trick or treat together so come October 31 we'll split a very fancy (yet undecided) bottle of Scotch.

I'm on board because of solidarity. Some of these guys REALLY need to kick the chewing tobacco. So going a month without Ardbeg is a small price. And I'm of the belief that switching up a pattern never hurts.

So if you'd like to give it a whirl, let me know. I'm gathering a list of "mocktails" to try and have returned from Costco laden with Pelligrino, Ginger beer, limes, lemons, cranberry juice, and club soda. Not exactly a Lagavulin 16 or Baker's 107 but maybe a fun change of pace. If you'd like to join us maybe having some company would make not having a beer or a smoke easier. Nothing else you might discover you love some non-alcoholic but yet "adult" drinks.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Sober October
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »
I'm in.

I will stop buying now and will stop consuming 1 October.

Last time I did this my consumption of tea and fizzy water went through the roof.

I have a charity picked out already.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »
I'm in.

I will stop buying now and will stop consuming 1 October.

Last time I did this my consumption of tea and fizzy water went through the roof.

I have a charity picked out already.

We need a confetti imogee. Welcome to the club!

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 12:46:28 PM »
I'm pretty weird, and don't like sweets too much, so I enjoy club soda with lime and apple cider vinegar.
Also, sour apple Perrier is surprisingly good.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »
I am a fan of Angostura Bitters for spicing up mocktails.  I know that technically they are alcoholic (quite alcoholic), when you are using a dash of it in 14 ounces of liquid I don't really consider it cheating.  Its use in classic cocktails like the Manhattan and Old Fashioned and at least I associate it as a "mixed drink taste" in my mind.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 11:41:45 AM »
I'm starting to prep today. I put a jug of apple cider (the good stuff) with some apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, and ginger into the force carbonator. Not saying it will be great but it's a first shot at an adult alternative to beer.

I love bitters too. But the guys I'm doing this with are 100% no alcohol. I guess it's fair that if they need to quit chew I need to be alcohol free. So I won't get the beloved Southampton. But unlike them I have the beer force carbonator, the Vitamix, a soda siphon, and cooking experience. I also have an old fashioned ice cream shop around the corner that does weird old-timey soda pops. Maybe I'll find something new.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
     I guess I'm on board too; have been for awhile. I don't drink, smoke, have sex, and just to put the nail in the "good times" coffin, I started a no carbs, white meat, veggies and greens diet. My wife says this is healthy. I say "I won't live any longer, it'll just seem like an eternity". By the way, do you know why married men die before their wives? Because they want to.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 04:18:27 PM »
I mean, I'm kind of in by default, being pregnant and all, so not sure if that counts? I definitely missed beer this summer. I have also had to give up coffee and most sugar due to heartburn, not sure what else I could give up at this point. Mostly following for some non-alcoholic beverage ideas, since I'll still be a little limited after baby gets here as long as I'm the food supply  :P

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »
We take all comers. It's kind of an unwritten rule that we don't make a big deal about why people do it. Frankly I'd rather have someone lurk and quit smoking or opium or whatever without saying anything. Sometimes the power of "not being alone" is enough. Sometimes it feels good to take a break, find some new things to enjoy, and share with others.

I'm on the easy end of the spectrum myself. Giving up a glass of Scotch isn't near as hard as someof the guys I know giving up smoking and chewing. And I don't use drugs (which we don't talk about). But maybe my support helps others.

So yeah, the more the merrier. Glad to have anyone. Sometimes just thinking about health choices is a real benefit. And we might find a super cool non-alcohol drink! My wife is already teasing me about force carbonating an Arnold Palmer. Hmmm...

Online Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »
My wife is already teasing me about force carbonating an Arnold Palmer. Hmmm...
Now that really does sound good and refreshing!

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 07:06:29 PM »
Couldn't decide last night if my last dram would be Ardbeg or Lagavulin. So I had one of each. I believe the Mrs. commented that my breath smelled like a dead cat rotting in a swamp.

On to October. The first day is always the pits. I've grown accustomed to my Scotch before bed. But I had a Bundaberg Ginger Beer with a lime and it wasn't bad. At least a little ginger spice to simulate a beer?

Offline scoop

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 07:20:28 PM »
Shoot, this is easy.
I don't smoke, or drink.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
Fizzy water tonight for me.  Cucumber black berry seltzer tonight. Not bad.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 09:14:53 PM »
<gulp>  treats - cookies, pie, cake, brownies, ice cream, candy bars.  I have such a sugar addiction.

I will, however, keep my chocolate.  But I will limit it to one triangle/day*.  Dark Chocolate is good for you.

*PMS may allow more than that  :-\
** under no circumstances can any male diagnose PMS  ;)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 07:19:01 AM »
     I have one of those "Soda Stream" carbonators. I like the idea of making fizzy Arnold Palmer Half and Half. Sometimes I wonder what other drinks would be more interesting if carbonated, like fizzy milk. I mean done on purpose, not just left in the fridge way past the use by date. Bubbly orange juice might work. However, carbonated coffee just doesn't sound right. If I still was a drinker, I think fizzy vodka could be a hit.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 08:11:11 AM »
     I have one of those "Soda Stream" carbonators. I like the idea of making fizzy Arnold Palmer Half and Half. Sometimes I wonder what other drinks would be more interesting if carbonated, like fizzy milk. I mean done on purpose, not just left in the fridge way past the use by date. Bubbly orange juice might work. However, carbonated coffee just doesn't sound right. If I still was a drinker, I think fizzy vodka could be a hit.

I use a janky setup with stainless steel and kegs of CO2. Takes longer but it's what I have from brewing.

You can do a lot of stuff forced carbonated. I like almost all fruit juices (cranberry being my favorite) and you can even pre-mix and recarbonate a drink. I like Coke mixed with cranberry and lime. Repressurize and you get full carbonation back. I can't speak to carbonating alcohol, Never thought to try. I don't know why you  couldn't make a carbonated screwdriver.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 08:52:52 AM »
However, carbonated coffee just doesn't sound right.

Starbucks has a new "nitro brew" iced coffee, and it's actually really good. I don't know that I'd call it "carbonated" per se, but it does come with a head of foam on it (no milk added).

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 09:12:02 AM »
Starbucks has a new "nitro brew" iced coffee, and it's actually really good. I don't know that I'd call it "carbonated" per se, but it does come with a head of foam on it (no milk added).

It's nitrogenated. Cold brew that has been pressurized with nitrogen. Very similar to how Guinness uses a nitrogen tap. So technically the gas doesn't "stay in" the drink. You can buy kits from homebrew shops to make it at home. Good, but pricey. And wicked strong. I was shaking from the caffeine.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 12:30:13 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45721671  saw this today and thought of this thread

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45721671  saw this today and thought of this thread
I think for me, it is more of a willpower thing, a bit of cost savings.

Offline alexlindsay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »
I've always found limited time abstainance to be a humorous thing. Many of the people I've known who swore off alcohol temporarily really needed to not drink it at all and used that short period of time to make themselves feel like they had their life under control. The U.K. as a country is probably doing it for the same reason. I do however think there is a distinct merit to people supporting others in doing something they find difficult and ought to do, so good on those participating. I don't drink or smoke or do any drugs so i don't want go join in as i feel like that would be showing off ;)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 11:48:00 AM »
Well my great test of cabonated apple cider was met with mixed results. It worked but my heavy hand with cinnamon and ginger made it a little on the burny side of spicy. Still it wasn't undrinkable and for a substitute for whiskey it's in the wheelhouse. My wife asked why I'm not making iced green tea flavored with citrus  :facepalm: because that would be great. I'll get working on it soon.

My wife also commented that sometime today I'm 1/4 the way in. I hadn't thought about it. To be honest it's really easy. Much harder on the guys kicking tobacco. I've never been the type to wake up wanting a drink but there's nothing like a smoke and a coffee (for me that would be London blend tobacco hand rolled). I guess it's easier to be me.

On a disappointing note I did notice that my ginger beer with lime actually costs more than good quality micro brew beer and way more than my homebrew. That's a little sad.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 06:54:51 AM »
Wow, only 13 days until I get to break the fast. I did go shopping yesterday for the one dram that will be my delicious fall off the wagon. On the advice of council (my wife) I avoided what would be my first choice - a special label of Ardbeg extra aged or a Bruichladdich heavy peated. She insisted that not everyone enjoys peaty smoky seaweedy Scotch. Sorry Lagavulin, you're out too.

I settled on two bottles from Highland Park, one of my favorite distilleries. These aren't cheap but there should be some appeal. The 12 year Viking Honour is a personal favorite as it is light, tastes of honey and very floral. The other is a bit of a challenge (I've not tried it before so I'm excited). It's the Dark Origins which is a dark sherry casked single malt. So two radically different flavors from one distillery. How fun.

In the meantime I've settled on drinking grapefruit juice in club soda. It sounds odd but it's kind of that sour/dry adult flavor without alcohol. I've also been doing virgin mojitos as I try to use up the last of my mint plants before they freeze. I didn't realize when I started this that I'd be missing my favorite drink this time of year: a mint julep with a blackstrap rum float. A friend who doesn't drink and hails from Morocco suggests I do green tea with my mint as is their traditional drink. I might try that. I've also rediscovered my love for an afternoon tea of puerh. If you've never had it, puerh is amazingly earthy and complex and not for the faint of heart.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 10:52:34 AM »
My intake of non-alcohol cider, tea, fizzy water and soda is up.  The cider and soda in a big way.

To be honest, the cut in carbs has been harder than the elimination of alcohol (also a carb).  The issue is that aside from beer, I didn't really consume calorie laden beverages before Sober-tober.  I had really cut out nearly all soda and juices previously.

I will try to club soda and grapefruit juice.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
Sounds like you are doing well... I like just plain club soda with ice... and lots of black coffee and hot tea with milk...