Author Topic: The Window is about to CLOSE. Get your guns and ammo NOW.  (Read 6623 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: The Window is about to CLOSE. Get your guns and ammo NOW.
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
No online sales of ammo are allowed since 1/1/18, unless it’s shipped to an FFL who collects CA sales tax and whatever fee they think they can get away with.  Starting 1/1/19 all ammo sales require a background check, just like buying a firearm.  Problem is DOJ has no clear plan in place on how all that will be done.

Does that include B2B sales? Gonna sound dumb but I use my LLC to have lumber delivered that is only offered B2B. You might have an opportunity to be exempted with the right NRA certification.

What I'm always looking for is the stupid that infests rules. Governments are generally stupid. Getting a concealed carry here means it's technically legal to walk down Hennepin Ave juggling 7 loaded revolvers (don't do it).

What I'm trying to get at is that there is always a loophole. Either you aren't an "end user" or you are simply "value added" or you are a charity (THAT"S A BIG ONE).

You need the legal mindset... LA SWAT has full auto ARs and somebody trains them and somebody supplies them and are all those people carded? Of course not. Neither are the military bases in the state. Why does the federal government supercede state law? Why does city government? If you volunteer with the sheriff do your rights change?

I need to dig deeper. Honestly CA gun rights aren't top of my list right now. But, in general, laws are written by the stupidest people who have no idea what they are doing and don't understand the industry they police. I'll keep looking for an out.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »
Honestly CA gun rights aren't top of my list right now. But, in general, laws are written by the stupidest people who have no idea what they are doing and don't understand the industry they police. I'll keep looking for an out.

Well, we apparently are all getting a crash course in California gun law stupid.  Twitter is all abuzz because Californian Representatative Eric Swawell is calling for confiscation of firearms across the country.  He wants any community that refuses to comply to be nuked.   He is getting brutalized by comments from members of the military right now and is in a tactical retreat.  But it is a clear indication of the rhetoric we are going to be facing over the next several months.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
Things seem to be escalating, a little:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/05/03/ban-assault-weapons-buy-them-back-prosecute-offenders-column/570590002/

Don't want to turn them in?  Following up on I4L's post, well they've got a plan.  Here's the ensuing twitter-spatter:
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/11/16/eric-swalwell-if-gun-owners-defy-assault-weapons-ban-the-government-has-nukes/

The rhetoric is really heating up.  True, a D-CA congressman spouting off on USA Today and twitter is not the same as having something signed into law, but lunatics almost always talk about the crimes they're contemplating before actually committing them.  The things Swalwell "jokes" about in that twitter exchange have no place in domestic discourse, and at some level must be taken as actual threats.  At the very least, they reveal the mindset we're dealing with here.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2018, 09:34:28 PM »
Swalwell, Pelosi, Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom (incoming Gov) are all stereotypical Bay Area antigun liberals, most of whom are going to run for President in 2020.  There aren't enough of us out here in the hinterlands to overcome the urban vote in LA and SF that keeps these guys in office.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2018, 10:03:56 PM »
What I'm trying to get at is that there is always a loophole.

Well, it's true that time after time the firearms industry in this country leverage the loopholes around CA legislation so they can keep selling us stuff.  Capitalism tends to find a way, but it usually requires an FFL, lawyers, and paperwork, which is all fine and good if you're looking to make a profit.  For some of us it's just simpler to invest the money now into what I'll need in advance.

I've read some articles on what Hollywood has to go through to stay on the straight and narrow when making movies, and it's nuts.  With all the actors with criminal convictions they have to make sure none of them ever touch a real gun and the paperwork and due diligence is a total nightmare.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
I got some mostly exotics (wood) shipped to me from Rockler. They came with the sticker "this product is known in the state of CA to cause cancer". OK, I'm not advocating huffing padauk dust. But I mean every board had the sticker. Even the maple.

We talk about guns but in all honesty CA is one lever flip from banning wood. Probably all food too. Heaven forbid Gavin Newsome discovers how dangerous electricity can be.

I have a family member in Hollywood. It's insane. One actor can't touch a gun and the other shows up with his carry pistol. Then the armorer and stuntman argue about safety while the AP and DP worry about kids running on set during the pyrotechnics.

Back to the theme here I was stunned to see Cabelas/Bass Pro send me a catalog yesterday that included a Glock 19 "on sale" for $575. I'm not in the market for a Glock but that seems a little high. I bought my M&P a few years back and I negotiated between 2 gun shops but I don't think I went over $500. We might be in a situation where a Glock is more than an AR. Weird.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »
Well Politician Swawell's rhetoric inspired me...to get another firearm that is.  I have wanted a 308 battle rifle in scout configuration ever since one of the appleseed master instructors let me shoot his on an AQT a decade back.  This just landed in my inbox so thought "Let's do it."  It will be dubbed Nuke'm.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »
Well Politician Swawell's rhetoric inspired me...to get another firearm that is.  I have wanted a 308 battle rifle in scout configuration ever since one of the appleseed master instructors let me shoot his on an AQT a decade back.  This just landed in my inbox so thought "Let's do it."  It will be dubbed Nuke'm.

I do not think you will be disappointed. That's been on my bucket list a while. That very rifle. If I wasn't agonizing on the optic for my .338 it would be a very tempting purchase.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2018, 09:44:54 AM »
And at that price, whew.  With the confluence of a possibly closing window and deals like these, it is time to get on it and spend some money.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2018, 10:24:19 AM »
And at that price, whew.  With the confluence of a possibly closing window and deals like these, it is time to get on it and spend some money.

Crazy, right?  Funny thing I just got an extended eye-relief scope in part of trade.  So with all that and the above deal hitting the inbox, i took it as a sign of divine intervention. :)

Several others are on sale too.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
So with all that and the above deal hitting the inbox, i took it as a sign of divine intervention. :)
"But Honey!  <deity of choice> told me to buy this!"  What spouse could possibly argue with that logic?  There could be lightning bolts in store.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2018, 11:24:30 AM »
"But Honey!  <deity of choice> told me to buy this!"  What spouse could possibly argue with that logic?  There could be lightning bolts in store.

She is from midwest so she fully understands. :)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
Those are mighty fine deals on the M1A!  Get em while they’re hot. Unfortunately for me, since those have the evil flash hiders instead of muzzle brakes, they aren’t CA legal.

Best deal in my collection has been $1300 and I just plunked down $1600 for that Loaded yesterday, but without the stainless barrel, and thought I’d saved myself a couple hundred. 

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »
I shot one of those M1As at a gun show up here. We have an annual "try before you buy" show and it's a little bit of a whirlwind because you basically shoot 200 guns and talk to reps all day. But when else do you get to shoot an H&K Mk 23?

I don't recall the model type but I really liked that Springfield. I want the scout the most because I like the scout setup but that's a personal preference. It's also a titch of a heavy gun but not enough to bother me. And it makes recoil almost nothing.

I can't believe the state of CA thinks an AR 10 should be illegal but an M1A is OK with the correct features. Given the choice I'd buy the M1A every time. In fact the hard part would be a fixed 4 power scout scope or a 1-6x designated marksman scope. But that's how I like a .308. You could just as easily build it out for longer range or more  accurate hunting.

I mean, the one ding against the M14 is that it sucks in full auto. So the civilian version is basically everything good about the rifle? Um, yes please.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2018, 01:28:40 PM »
Who is selling the M1A at that price??

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
I don't recall the model type but I really liked that Springfield. I want the scout the most because I like the scout setup but that's a personal preference. It's also a titch of a heavy gun but not enough to bother me. And it makes recoil almost nothing.

I'm still partial to the SOCOM length, myself, probably because that's where I started, but the Scout/Squad is a close second, and both have that sweet bit of forward rail for a red dot or scout scope.  The bigger aperture on the rear of the SOCOM makes for quicker shots with irons, though, plus a bit less felt recoil and muzzle rise than the other two lengths, thanks to its brake.  But lots of boom and fire, plus they tend to sell for the price of a Loaded.  While the SOCOMs only come synthetic, in retrospect I wish I'd paid extra for wood stocks on all my other lengths. 

One of these days I'm going to take the fugly heavy cluster rail off my SOCOM II and give it the full wood treatment, like this little beauty.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »
Who is selling the M1A at that price??

Rural King aka RKGuns. https://www.rkguns.com

Since I have several local I dont have to pay a transfer fee, just $12.99 delivery and sales tax.  The total for the M1A Scout Squad came to $1,189.97 out the door.

Oh, did I mention a couple weeks ago they dived into military surplus too?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:45:26 PM by iam4liberty »

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »
Springfield had a goofy phase they're kinda still in trying to make an M14 compete with the AR market. Unfortunately that coincided with the era where everything got a clunky rail and you put a coffee grinder on the side. If you've never seen "the most tactical AR ever" (some cursing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q362H-xg0ZA

If you look at the M14 in actual use from 1959 to today you see most actual users in police and military strip it down pretty far. She's sensitive about her weight already. Seems they've come around since then.

I must confess though I love wood I prefer plastic stocks. Wood is great but it moves a little seasonally and since I go from -40 to 110 plastic wins the day. In all honesty if Springfield and Savage could get together and launch an M1A with a Savage accustock and accutrigger (I don't know how that would work) it might be a real winner. But competitors rarely see these synergies. Who would want a lightweight mag fed semi-auto .308 with a 3 lb. trigger?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
Things seem to be escalating, a little:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/05/03/ban-assault-weapons-buy-them-back-prosecute-offenders-column/570590002/

Don't want to turn them in?  Following up on I4L's post, well they've got a plan.  Here's the ensuing twitter-spatter:
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/11/16/eric-swalwell-if-gun-owners-defy-assault-weapons-ban-the-government-has-nukes/

The rhetoric is really heating up.  True, a D-CA congressman spouting off on USA Today and twitter is not the same as having something signed into law, but lunatics almost always talk about the crimes they're contemplating before actually committing them.  The things Swalwell "jokes" about in that twitter exchange have no place in domestic discourse, and at some level must be taken as actual threats.  At the very least, they reveal the mindset we're dealing with here.

I truly expect the rhetoric to start pumping out very soon.  The NRA is in a questionable financial position, allegedly.  I think we'll start to see the mailers coming in sometime in the next two weeks where the above topics will be screamed from the rooftops.  Expect to see something on par with the early-90's "JackBooted Thugs" ads.

Again, there are other factors to consider, especially in the not-too-distant future.  The first, of course, is the perception of relatively uninformed potential buyers resulting from the above-mentioned rhetoric.  Everytime there's  been a scare in the past, Johnny Average Conservative leverages his house and paycheck to snag on a couple of AR's ". . .before the ban."  This causes shortages.  Inevitably, they buy too late and at inflated prices. . .you usually see the same guys at gunshows a few months later trying to sell those same guns because they overextended themselves.

Additionally, consider the very real possibility of the military going away from the 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 rounds.  One of the reasons that there's comparatively inexpensive ammo in those two calibers is that they are military rounds and the companies can charge less because it's cheaper to make extra rounds when they've filled their gubmint purchase orders.  Yes, those two, in addition to a few other calibers, are the primary calibers of most MSR's (a term I apply to most military-style semi-autos), but the shooting public does not go through enough ammo to support that same high-volume production which reduce the prices.

Also, most of the proposed legislation should not make it through both houses intact.  In fact, I truly do not expect to see anything real coming through on the federal level for the next two years.  Unlike the author of the first article, I really don't see Trump signing any federal bans or severely restrictive legislation, even if he does get re-elected.  HOWEVER, on the state level?  We're already seeing the additional restrictions and taxes in several states, e.g., Kalifornia.  I don't expect to see the NRA doing much at the state level, either.  They have a proven track record of begging for money and loosening the purse strings only occasionally for the state fights.  IMNSHO, they should have emptied the bank back during the Colorado magazine ban and supporting pro-2A candidates inside the state.  That would have sent a very clear message to the anti's as well as members and potential members.  (Sorry NRA-supporters, the truth hurts.  Seems they prefer their $5k suits and $100k personal vehicles as well as twice-annual hunting trips down to South America and elsewhere.)

We've seen an involuntary purge of gun manufacturers as well as a consolidation of many of the still-existing manufacturers being purchased and questionably run by a small number of investors (e.g. American Outdoor, Cerberus Capital Management, Kahr Firearms, et al).  This has led to major shake-ups in the industry in quality control, management, etc.  The state of the industry is (and this is my personal opinion) the shakiest it's ever been.  One good thing that happened when the second panic of the last administration happened was that we found out that a lot of smaller manufacturers popped up to fill the void.  One of the reasons the previous panic was so devastating ($3,000 base AR's, $30 aluminum AR mags, no spare parts to be found, etc.) was that no one was prepared.  While we did see a spike in prices, it was short-lived until every Swinging Richard with a CNC machine started churning out lowers and uppers.  Sadly, it was also during this point that the main manufacturers and distributors had their stocks emptied and dealers couldn't buy anything to put on their shelves.  This led to the demise of many smaller FFL's who weren't in the position to ride out the interruption.

I don't know what will happen this time.  The liberals seem very confident and motivated to drive their agenda forward despite the questionable possibility of success.  I truly am concerned about the will happen following November 2020.  So much so that I'm considering shifting much of my near-future investments into firearms and especially AR lowers, uppers, and parts kits.

I hope I'm wrong, but the great thing is that you seldom lose money on guns.

The Professor

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2018, 07:21:42 AM »
This is going to sell a lot of guns...

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
The great Bob Murphy made an excellent point on this. Nobody thinks they can take on the military with their rifle or shotgun. But on the same token we don't let inmates in prison have steak knives. So  there's some middle ground. Comedian Dave Smith replied about how inconceivable it is that there are Jews in America who don't own a gun. And if you think it wouldn't have stopped the Wermacht just look what a few Afghani villagers can do.

I'm happy to live where everyone is armed to the hilt. The American Midwest is  the largest non-standing army in the world. I encourage everyone to own a gun. Don't know where to start buy a shotgun. Take a class. Get your permits in order. Everyone enjoys a day shooting trap or skeet. Even our first day where we hit 2.

Remember the good old days when we could... These are them. The market is flooded with AR type rifles and prices have never been lower. Ammo companies are going bankrupt. Unsure of the future? Buy your kids lowers for Christmas. I gave my daughter a lower for her second birthday and I can't wait to build the gun with her (when old enough). For less than you'll spend on plastic crap you can give the gift of gun rights.

Now is the time. Prices are low and legislators are thinking (in the limited way those people can). Get armed. If not for fun for civic duty. You reside in a country formed by men who rode at night screaming "the British are coming!"

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2018, 09:48:05 PM »
Great post, David in MN. +1

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »
Twenty-two hit piece articles in my newsfeed today like the one below.  Primarily they are going after the small manufacturers and gunsmiths with a "blood money/blood sport" angle and trying to cut off access to banks and payment processers.  They are especially going after the 308 and 6.5 Creedmore caliber rifles as the new menance more deadly than the military assault rifles used by the military (sic). Loads of misinfo just like the attacks on NRA and gun clubs.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1OG1BZ

Small assault-style rifle firms thriving under activists' radar
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:09:18 AM by iam4liberty »

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2019, 07:28:45 PM »
LAST CALL, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

Now that the socialist liberals are sworn in, they are starting to put their agenda forward.

A MASSIVE "Assault Weapons" Ban has now been proposed by Feinstein that has learned from the 1994 ban and California bans and specifically closes pretty much every "loophole" and workaround that has arisen.

Will it go through?  Unknown.  I have given up making such predictions on political issues.  It doesn't matter, however, for what I do predict:

The only question I have is the timeline of this.  Many conservatives still have faith in the belief that Trump will not sign a Gun Ban into law.  Personally, I don't think he will.  (As an aside, I think he authorized the Bump Stock Ban just to make sure there would be a lawsuit that would solve the issue.  I can't see any legal reason that a Bump Stock makes a weapon fully automatic.  For that, they'd have to completely rewrite the 1934 NFA which explicitly defines what makes full auto.)

What we are going to see is a panic among the gun-buying crowd.  We've seen, time and again, that the NRA will do nothing to stop an AWB.  In fact, such a ban actually INCREASES their profitability.  Look at how membership increased after the 1994 ban and the mere suggestions that the previous President would ban military-style rifles.  I remember very vividly watching a friend of mine who owned the largest gun dealership in my area sit and cry when Obama was re-elected.  He was so afraid that, since Obama was now a second-term president he would no longer have to worry about re-election and would come down on guns.  He was so afraid that he sold his business within two months of the election and moved to the nether-regions of Idaho.

I remember those two months very clearly.  That was when base, cheap AR's were going for over $3k.  Full capacity magazines couldn't be found.  Parts kits were being snapped up faster than they could be made.

Why?  Panic.  It doesn't have to be logical and it doesn't even have to be real.

Prices are going to start rising, soon, on everything from stripped lowers and Lower Parts Kits to already assembled firearms.  Ammo may start disappearing soon, too. 

This is just the earliest part of the problem.  Remember that Trump faces re-election soon.  There's no real promise that he'll be re-elected.  I don't know who the liberals can put forward as a candidate that's more palatable to his supporters than he is but. . .

Remember that the liberals want to do away with the Electoral College.  That requires one of three methods.   The first is a Congressional Convention.  If this happens, ANYTHING in the Constitution can be changed. . .even the Second Amendment.  The second is that three-quarters of the States ratify the Amendment as it is send to them by the Archivist of the United States, who heads the National Archives and Records Administration.  The third method is a 2/3rds vote of both the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Since the Office of the President does not have a role in the amendment process, as outlined by Article V of the Constitution, a President has no say in the process and has neither veto nor approval power. 

While I don't personally see any of these three options as currently viable, my opinion doesn't matter.  It's how the gun-owner-on-the-street feels.

The window, in my humble opinion, is now closed. 

The Professor
(Interesting times, indeed.)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2019, 02:06:54 AM »
I don't know what will happen this time.  The liberals seem very confident and motivated to drive their agenda forward despite the questionable possibility of success.  I truly am concerned about the will happen following November 2020.  So much so that I'm considering shifting much of my near-future investments into firearms and especially AR lowers, uppers, and parts kits.

The mass shootings have had their effect. I believe strongly in the civic aspect of self defense. I can’t argue about many political issues but it seems clear where the true danger is. I can’t argue with people on conspiracies either, not just on here but in general but I believe many do exist. I have come to the point at times when I realize I am not going to engage people in certain debates yet I still have pretty strong opinions

This is going to sell a lot of guns...

That’s funny because it has always been the basis of my argument for years that if the government can have nukes why can’t citizens have guns and this guy has proved the point I guess more strongly than ever
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:15:30 AM by surfivor »

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2019, 06:58:09 PM »
LAST CALL, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
Yes it is.  And yet... ammo prices are still low.  The herd hasn't made a run for the door.  Now is the time to top off supplies.

(Interesting times, indeed.)
Yep.  If you have even an inkling that you're a little low on something, get that order in now.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »
And. . ..  SLAM!!

There it goes.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article202733214.html

"Donald Trump says he’s open to Dianne Feinstein’s assault weapons age limit – or even a ban."

The Professor

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »
And. . ..  SLAM!!

There it goes.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article202733214.html

"Donald Trump says he’s open to Dianne Feinstein’s assault weapons age limit – or even a ban."

The Professor

We're running the pilot version of that program up here in WA.  As of Jan. 1 you must be 21 to buy any semi-auto rifle.  As of July (19?) all semi-auto rifles are to become "assault weapons".
Thereafter new purchases of "assault weapons" have additional background check scrutiny, taxes and are subject to additional inspection at the discretion of local law enforcement.

To say there is legal gray area is a massive understatement. Most people with a clue expect all sorts of legal challenges.

Offline Carver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »

The Professor

Trump often uses this 'caving' technique when he deals with an issue. We don't know for sure if he is caving or deal-making until it is said and done.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »
Price check says PSA has a fully assembled upper + bg, and charging handle + backup sites for under 300 dollars.  The fact that it is free floated is a nice bonus.  They are also selling their version of MagPul's small part kit for 90 dollars.  So under 400 dollars you get everything but the lower receiver and magazines.  The price go's up a bit if you are one of the states that the company charges taxes for.

psa=Palmetto State Armory

I don't think the price will go lower, so it just might be the perfect time to buy.

I spotted online Wolf 223 ammo the cheap steel case stuff for under 25 cents a round.