Author Topic: The Window is about to CLOSE. Get your guns and ammo NOW.  (Read 15412 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: The Window is about to CLOSE. Get your guns and ammo NOW.
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2019, 07:10:22 PM »
I got my spares. But only after enduring the bizarre diatribe of a jailhouse-lawyer turned sovereign-citizen on his legal basis for buying a gun without an ID.  He pretty much pissed off everyone in the store before they threw his ass out.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2019, 07:20:37 PM »
I got my spares. But only after enduring the bizarre diatribe of a jailhouse-lawyer turned sovereign-citizen on his legal basis for buying a gun without an ID.  He pretty much pissed off everyone in the store before they threw his ass out.

Video??  ;D ;D

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2019, 07:59:53 PM »
I wish I had that reflex to pull out the phone and start recording, because this one would have been good. 

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2019, 08:04:13 PM »
Any more info whether this will pass yet?

It was blocked by NRA lobbying effort.  They rounded up enough lawmakers to prevent it from advancing to a final reading.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
It was blocked by NRA lobbying effort.  They rounded up enough lawmakers to prevent it from advancing to a final reading.

8)

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2019, 08:42:11 PM »
That is the way it usually goes.  A scare and then it gets squashed.  BUT, you just never know when a bill might get traction and go all the way.  Because it HAS happened several times in the past for various gun issues and can always happen again.  So best to ALWAYS steadily prepare for the worst and sometimes sprint to catch up when a decisive bill comes into play.  I'm sure we all prefer to prepare for the worst, and hope and work for the best.

I've pretty well topped out on all my firearm preps last year, and I mean good for the next ten years minimum with no change in shooting (no competitions).  The only item left on my wish list is a LabRadar for load testing analysis and curiosity.  I finished up on firearms laregly due to this thread's warning which motivated me to re-inventory everything and plan out what needed to be completed, mostly optics and reloading supplies.

In fact, this year I am switching focus toward upgrading my knives from smallest pocket knife to largest fixed blade as well as their sheaths.  And also revisiting some hiking gear to see if I can replace some older items with new lighter weight alternatives.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2019, 09:36:03 AM »
Just as a reminder, everyone.   The factors that affect the closure of the window are still in play:

1.   The 2020 Election.   We're starting to see a move towards the middle from the Democrat Party.  Remember, though, these are politicians who will say anything and promise anything in order to remain in, and add to their own, power.  Go back and look at some of the Liberal "Roundtables" or debates and see how anti-gun they proclaim themselves to be.  Once it was inconceivable to imagine a politician saying they'd ban guns outright.  Now, we have seen several politicians promising door-to-door confiscation.  Pandering or promising, either one drives a perception.  Perceptions drive panic.  Panic means empty shelves.

2.  The 2024 Election.  If it doesn't happen in 2020, it will happen in 2024. . .Trump will be out for good and so will the belief of his "support" of the 2nd Amendment.  Expect more mass shootings in the next 5 years, regardless of who wins, and keep in mind that these brainwashed kids, a la David Hogg, will not only be coming of voting age, but will be openly and brazenly recruited by the Left.  Remember that the left controls the schools.   You might get them for four or five hours out of their awake time, but the schools have them for much more.  Worse yet, the Universities  have devolved into almost absolute Liberal Hot Zones.  I don't even recognize my former undergraduate campus, anymore.  Some little S***stain of a student running the information desk at the main Admin building got his/her/it/ze/zir/zit's panties in a twist because I said "Can you tell me where the office of Professor [Name] (I so wanted to put "Professor X," there) is located?"   

He/she/it/ze/zir/zit transformed into someone who looked like I had just stomped their favorite fluffy bunny to death right in front of them, shrieked (yes, actually SHRIEKED), pointed a trembling finger at me and said something along the lines of "I am a _garbled_!! You will refer to me that way!"

I will admit it, I had heard about crap like this, but had never experienced it (the schools I where I taught were more. . .um. . .conservative-oriented).   Since I'm retired and do not have the sword of the Dean or Board hanging over my head, and was thoroughly disgusted by the way he/she/it/ze/zir/zit was acting, I simply replied with, "How's this?  Okay, A$$**le, tell me where his office is."

This now-offended twit thrust an accusing finger towards me, eyes wide open in shock and disbelief, tried to stand up succeeding in only pushing the rolling chair back an inch or two before rocketing out from under his/her/ze's/zir's/zit's corpulent a$$ and landing on the floor and knocking over a giant green slushie (or maybe it actually identified as a "slurpie,"  I get so confused over identity politics), which poured all over the desk calendar, the keyboard and the desk, itself and onto his/her/ze's/zir's/zit's shirt (Blouse?  Tunic?).   He/she/it/ze/zir/zit tried to get up but only succeeded in slipping and falling a couple of times as the words "Hate Speech!" and "Bigot" and something else I didn't catch (apparently, teaching proper elocution is some form of repressive training) as he/she/it/ze/zir/zit scrambled to get away from the fat, white, old and obviously conservative heterosexual male and into a Safe Space (I shit you not, the Security Office was actually marked as such).

I could go on, but I've just had breakfast and the memory has made my stomach queasy.

THIS is your bastion of Higher Learning.  You might keep yours through High School, as we did, but once their in the Liberal Hotzones, THEY have them now.  You can only prepare them for combat, but you can't prepare them for what comes after.

Go back four years and compare the general political landscape to what it is now.  Even accepting that Trump won, this country is fast(er?) becoming some sort of bizarre real-world version of Alice's Wonderland.

So, the political atmosphere will be turning even more against the gun owner, regardless of why you want/have firearms.  We're even seeing deeper divides among gun owners and the very real potential of the dissolution of the NRA (not necessarily a Bad Thing, IMNSHO) which will serve to bolster the confidence of the anti-gunners.

and, Finally:

#3.   The military is moving forward with their plans to replace the individual weapons of the services.  Normally, this wouldn't be that big of a deal, especially with the modularity of many modern firearms.  BUT. . .we're talking a quantum leap ahead in ammunition technology with it's polymer casings and muzzle energy hinted at being ". . .two to five times. . " that of the current 5.56x45.  This technology may not lend itself to a simple swapping out of uppers.  Additionally,  this new 6.8 ammo is going to be expensive, at least initially.  Plus, it wouldn't surprise me for it to be classified as "For Military/Government Use Only."

Again, this means that the ammunition plants such as Lake City will no longer be producing 5.56x45 or 7.62x51 ammo.  So, inexpensive surplus ammo, or even collaborative ammo projects such as Hornady's Frontier line, which blends Hornady's bullets with MilSpec brass, powder and primers from Lake City, will be a thing of the past. 

In other words: 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 will no longer be in the demand they once were.  Prices may go up.  It also allows the anti's a wonderful opportunity to ban "militarily-based calibers" without worrying  about it affecting the production prices of Government ammo.

So, to summarize:

We face two political factors and one production factor within the next two years.  Politics could well promote panics similar to what we saw in 2008, 2012 and (admittedly lesser in) 2016 as well as the potential for outright bans on certain types of weapons, ammunition feeding devices and calibers.  The switching of calibers for our government and military forces away from 5.56x45, 7.62x51 and (quite possibly) the move away from AR-based platforms could affect the supply/demand situation for ammunition, firearms and accessories.

I consider the window almost closed, right now, pending the selection of the Democratic Front-runners for Presidential Nomination.  I give it until November. . .possibly December.

My opinion. . .worth exactly what you paid for it.

The Professor

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2019, 11:02:25 AM »
There's lots of "weirdness" in this discussion. It's very confusing to me that the AR patterns my brother in law and I shoot are looked at as menacing by some friends of mine but his .300 Winmag is just a hunting rifle while my .338 Lapua is a deadly sniper gun.

I'm so confused because there is a conversation about how the grip on a rifle will impact what you do with it and there is like a crazy stream of thought that my 6.5 Creedmoor is a hunting gun but my .338 is a sniper weapon and my Mosin Nagant is a military battle rifle even though they all operate the same way.

And these very same people look at my scout rifle and dismiss it as a hunting gun. That's a mag fed .308 with a fixed 4 power scope that Jeff Cooper would call adequate for counter-sniping.

And it gets worse. My sporting semi-auto Winchester SX4 is looked at as a skeet gun but the slower moving Remington 870 is the scary one because it's all in black and has a side saddle.

Most of my male friends have some flavor of .30-06. That is a WWII combat round used in the BAR. Put in a Remington rifle and you basically have Carlos Hathcock's gun. You might not shoot as well as him but that crappy Remington bolt gun was state of the art in the late 60s. These boring hunting rifles put to shame the snipers of the world wars.

That's the crazy part about this. You need a .50 or .338? Well we all kinda gloss past .30-06, .260 Remington, .240 Winchester, 7mm-08, .308, .300 Winmag, etc. I'm pretty sure if the guys in the 40s could have had my 6.5 Creedmoor they would have fallen over each other to get it.

For all the nonsense about bump stocks and AR pattern rifles we forget that there is the 7.62 NATO and a lot of boring bolt guns that toss them. If I could persuade some of my anti-gun friends of this simple fact I think the conversation might change.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2019, 03:41:40 PM »
There's lots of "weirdness" in this discussion.

. . .snip. . .

For all the nonsense about bump stocks and AR pattern rifles we forget that there is the 7.62 NATO and a lot of boring bolt guns that toss them. If I could persuade some of my anti-gun friends of this simple fact I think the conversation might change.

And, sadly, I think you're wrong.  Typically, anti-gunners discuss their emotions.  They have an irrational fear of weapons and those who have them.    I am reminded of a video made during the "pink slime" uproar over McDonalds Chicken McNuggets.  These college kids spent an entire semester making a video showing the pink slime and how it was allegedly made including the toxic chemicals and all the horrible, disgusting things they'd do to your body.  After forcing a bunch of kindergartners to view the video, one of the young female college students stood up and smugly asked the kids, "Who wants Chicken McNuggets, now?"

The look of incomprehension on her face was absolutely precious as each and every one of the kids raised their hands eagerly. (I don't know what happened after she couldn't/wouldn't produce the proffered McNuggets, but I bet it wasn't pretty).

Hoplophobes, like small children, are motivated by their passions and their feelings.  No amount of logic or cogent reasoning will sway them. . .unless. . .

. . .your arguments now make them equate your bolt guns and their greater efficiency at killing and maiming with those nasty, evil-looking military-style semi-autos (with, or without bumpstocks).

But, give it a try.  Maybe you'll have better luck than I have had.

The Professor

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »
No it's really weird. I don't think the assessment is wrong. But you have to live in a world where a 7.62x54R is a combat load but a .30-06 is a sporting load?

I can't believe that my sporting shotgun and my defense shotgun *which do exactly the same thing* are judged as different.

As crazy as it sounds my wife likes the .357 magnum in the safe on the nightstand. Her belief is that she will never have to fire because looking at that cannon is enough to deter anyone. She might well be right but if she jumps on that revolver I'll be on the H&K.

It's just fuzzy math that some guns are "military grade" even though they aren't and old school revolvers put the terror in bad guys even if my tupperware 9mm are better for the fight.

It's a conundrum.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2019, 09:23:34 AM »
I have struggled in these conversations. Cosmetic features on a .22 make it an assault weapon and the most dreaded of all guns is an AR which is 1950s technology but the 8mm Mauser that was the right arm of the Wermacht is some kind of passe surplus hunting gun? Chicago PD was well aware of the Thompson when Frank Pape picked up a beater pump shotgun and used it to great effect against the mobsters.

This is where I go off the rails. The M16 would be collecting Social Security if it were a person. Pump shotguns appeared in the 1800s. Just on its face the Mosin Nagant and Mauser rifles served in 2 World Wars. And if you think the Nazis were under-equipped I've got some family members in graves because of them.

And as much as we laugh off crappy old guns that 7.62x54R was a battle rifle from the 1890s until it found a home in Soviet sniper guns like the Druganov in the 70s. Nothing new.

Even my beloved .338 Lapua is nothing but a necked down .416 Rigby. And the .416 dates back to 1911 like another common gun that still whacks out a .45 ACP and really hasn't changed since Browning designed it.

This is the joke. The dreaded .22 with cosmetic features brings scorn but for a few hundred dollars you can get a Tikka in .30-06 with better glass than any sniper who served in both world wars and Vietnam. I realize that .338 and .50 step up into material damage but a modern boring hunting gun would have outclassed the military might of the 1970s. And that's saying a lot because the .30-06 is from 1906. And the .45-70 which still works is from the 1870s. I wouldn't feel disarmed with the old Springfield Trapdoor.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2019, 11:55:05 AM »
Listening on radio and just heard a new one.  A California congressperson (didnt catch name) is calling for a law to ban anyone with boxing or other martial arts training from owning a gun.  Apparently, the recent California festival shooter's family is well known in Olympics level boxing (havent conformed).  Her logic is police need to be proactive in stopping shootings by disarming people with a violent mindset (which participation in any fighting sport shows) and someone trained in fighting has no need of a firearm for protection.

I have a feeling a lot more firearms are going to be sold in California this weekend.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »
  Speaking of bolt guns. There are 750,000 deer hunters in Michigan. Most have bolt guns with scopes. Now what could you do with 700,000 snipers? P.S. I like the cock on closing of the Endfeild.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
Apparently, the recent California festival shooter's family is well known in Olympics level boxing (havent conformed). 

Confirmed and they are running with this associate "boxing" with "extremist" angle.  Expect Dicks sporting goods to ban speed bags any minute now.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1860828001
Santino William Legan: Gilroy shooter from boxing-loving family, cited 'Might Makes Right'

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2019, 09:19:43 PM »
  Speaking of bolt guns. There are 750,000 deer hunters in Michigan. Most have bolt guns with scopes. Now what could you do with 700,000 snipers? P.S. I like the cock on closing of the Endfeild.

About the same in Missouri. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry ( ;D) have a 30.06 with scope, at the ready for hunting season.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »
Listening on radio and just heard a new one.  A California congressperson (didnt catch name) is calling for a law to ban anyone with boxing or other martial arts training from owning a gun.  Apparently, the recent California festival shooter's family is well known in Olympics level boxing (havent conformed).  Her logic is police need to be proactive in stopping shootings by disarming people with a violent mindset (which participation in any fighting sport shows) and someone trained in fighting has no need of a firearm for protection.

I have a feeling a lot more firearms are going to be sold in California this weekend.

So she comes up with this less than a day after the shooting. No dwelling/researching/talking shop about it. Just throw it out there.....

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2019, 09:44:17 PM »
So she comes up with this less than a day after the shooting. No dwelling/researching/talking shop about it. Just throw it out there.....

They have been pushing such "red flag" confiscations for a while.  It was only a matter of time before they switched from "ad hoc" to "systematized" application.  This is just a convenient opportunity.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-california-red-flag-law-restraining-order-firearms-20190626-story.html
Bills seeking to firm up California’s red-flag gun law offer a mixed-bag

Several bills now before the Legislature in Sacramento aim to improve on that law. They are part of a continuing drive among state legislators to enact meaningful reforms to limit access to firearms for people who shouldn’t have them, and to protect all Californians from gun violence. It’s a shame that Congress, under the sway of the National Rifle Association and the gun lobby it represents, has been incapable of adopting meaningful gun control laws to provide the nation with the kind of broad, sensible protections it needs, such as severely restricting access to firearms designed for combat and requiring background checks for all firearms transactions. But at least California has been trying, and we live under some of the toughest gun laws in the nation.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2019, 10:25:22 PM »
The Gilroy shooter bought his weapon (an AK?) legally in Nevada and violated California law when he brought it with him when he moved back home.  Not that that will stop Gavin Newsom from piling on more restrictions. 

I'll use any excuse to buy more guns......

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »
he could have caused just as much damage with any semi automatic, rifle or handgun.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2019, 08:28:32 PM »
The Gilroy shooter bought his weapon (an AK?) legally in Nevada and violated California law when he brought it with him when he moved back home.

There is a lot of confusion about this.  In some reports an unidentified source says it was a Century Arms WASR-10.  Others say it was a SKS.  There are news articles just on this point of what the arm was.  Either way, people seem to be waking up to the danger of so-called "gun-free" zones.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2019, 12:56:56 AM »
Apparently the FFL in Nevada runs an online firearms business out of his home and has commented publicly on his recollection of interacting with the shooter in early July.  There's also some speculation in the SF Chronicle that the shooter used California ID for the sale, which would put the FFL on the hook for violating federal law mandating that sales be legal in both states. 

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2019, 06:11:08 AM »
Apparently the FFL in Nevada runs an online firearms business out of his home and has commented publicly on his recollection of interacting with the shooter in early July.  There's also some speculation in the SF Chronicle that the shooter used California ID for the sale, which would put the FFL on the hook for violating federal law mandating that sales be legal in both states.
Lots of assumptions.  It is looking more and more that it was a California legal SKS.  But again there is lots of confusion driven by media just throwing things out there for clicks.

https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/national/what-is-an-sks-the-rifle-used-in-the-gilroy/article_c0efe361-fd3b-52ca-81ab-209513c37fd6.html

Police also confirmed yesterday that he had a ton of Muslim extremist material in his home, that he posted tribute photo of his Iranian grandfather minutes before the attack, and that he did not target people of color.  So the narrative is completely changing from original reports. They also found prescription drugs not under his name including valium.  Very confusing case.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2019, 09:38:26 AM »
Two Active Shooter situations in the past two days just as we're approaching the 2020 Political "Season."

Expect more to happen, expect greater pressure to be applied to ban certain types of weapons.  Expect sales to start going up in anticipation of such legislation.

Now might be a good time to look at investing in certain items.  Or, putting them away for a rainy day.

The Professor

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2019, 09:55:53 AM »
Yes. Yesterday's was a sad afternoon. I stayed on CNN (yea I know) all afternoon watching that one unfold.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »
As the good professor indicated, tick, tock...tick tock.

If I still went out and shot like when I was 25, I would consider my stock of ammo to be very small.

If I had to replace what I used over the last few years, I will just order another brick of 22lr please.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
As the good professor indicated, tick, tock...tick tock.

If I still went out and shot like when I was 25, I would consider my stock of ammo to be very small.

If I had to replace what I used over the last few years, I will just order another couple boxes of 100 count  22lr, and a couple boxes or 3 of 30.06 shells.

Edited for my usage. Lol

Offline scoop

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2019, 08:29:07 AM »
What's a good source for 80% lowers?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2019, 01:06:27 PM »
What's a good source for 80% lowers?

Why not just get a bunch of value priced complete lowers?  Anderson's are < $60 pretty regularly.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2019, 02:27:46 PM »
I was shocked to see a Field & Stream cover about our "long range obsession". I looked but their website is clunky so forgive the non-link.

Where are we going to hold the line? A .30-06 is a pretty bland deer gun up here. We've gone from my grandfather who could have juggled Thompsons on Main Street to where a .22 is outlawed for having the wrong plastic grips.

If "sensible gun laws" mean banning all semi-automatics, any long range guns, any guns with "large" magazines, any gun capable of accepting a magazine, any gun with a "pistol grip", any "military" gun you're basically talking about a full gun ban.

And just to be clear on the logic... I lack the wherewithal to own a revolver but I have the capacity to elect the guy who can eliminate the globe from a suitcase.

Offline scoop

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2019, 03:57:52 PM »
Why not just get a bunch of value priced complete lowers?  Anderson's are < $60 pretty regularly.

I was concerned about tractability.
It's my understanding complete lowers need a background check.
I would like one weapon off the govt radar.