Author Topic: Red Dawn II  (Read 13854 times)

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
Re: Red Dawn II
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »
I warched it. I give 2 stars of 5. In my mind, the original was so much better. But, I watched it many years ago.
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »
Going to Cabela's this morning to take advantage of their 5 hour sale, then going to watch Red Dawn.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2012, 11:25:42 AM »
We watched it and liked it.  In fact, after re-watching the original recently, thought the new one was much better.  You still have to suspend disbelief,  and also pretend the NK are really PRC instead.

If you consider how much trouble insurgents have been in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's not unrealistic to think how much harassment could be caused here.

DragonDay looks quite interesting too.... and perhaps a tad more realistic.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2012, 05:50:51 PM »
I thought is was very good, better than the first one and more believable. . .  Entertaining at the least.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline American freak

• Prepper
  • God, Family, The Republic.
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
I am offshore right now but plan on seeing it as soon as I get back home. From what I understand the writer of the original Red Dawn script said that the point was not to show a struggle against foreign invaders but of a sruggle against corrupt forces in our own home land. I will be pretending that it is the Chi Coms and not DPRK though.
In Liberty

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »
I just saw it.  Entertaining.  Action packed.  Lots, lots, lots more battles than the first movie.

The only thing that makes me cringe about it is that some sheeple might think preppers are waiting for an invasion by a foreign nation.  Of all the things I prep for, the North Koreans invading Spokane is not one of them.

It's worth the money to go see.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »
I just saw it. I didn't care too much for it. It had some good moments. And it also had one drop-dead funny moment --and it was intentionally funny-- that made the whole audience just crack up in unbridled hysterics.

MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW

As a whole it really didn't do it for me. The non-credibility of just how dumb the occupying forces were in the face of these kids -- I mean c'mon! Why is it that the kids continued to be on higher ground, but the occupying Korean army never once had any of their troops on higher ground? We see multiple scemes where a few odd Korean guards are standing here and there on rooftops on guard duty, but the kids are on the HIGHER roof tops every time, looking down on the Koreans who were too stupid to position their men on the highest points of any given line-of-sight. And the kids continually were able to sneak into the high school to oversee the prisoners in the orange jumpsuits, but  they never got caught, and always had high ground where we never saw any guards.

The director also kinda blew it big time as far as the one and only plot point which made any sense: the wholesale disruption of electricity via the EMP attack. The super-special-nifty telephone that Captain Cho had in his posession was the all-important MacGuffin that they all risked their lives to get. The phone became the key to the film's chase, climax, and ending. And the importance of the phone was that it was somehow shielded from the electrical disruption of the EMP's. If the director had just stuck faithfully to the plot pint of continuous electrical disruption, then the rest of the plot might have seemed reasonable. But he was inconsistent with the electrical disruption with some places having electricity and others not having it. If he had just stuck with it, I might've believed that the North Koreans would have FAILED to use thermal sensors to spot the rogue camp fires out in the woods.  And I also would have believed that they FAILED to use motion sensors to detect the unauthorized movements of people in and out of the city. And I also would have believed that they FAILED to use surveilance cameras of any sort. But the electricity thing was an inconsistent plot point that the director blew big time. And that inconcsistency essentially undermined the believability of everything.

END SPOILERS

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2012, 10:37:23 PM »
I was entertained.  It was worth the $4 I paid.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2012, 06:18:36 AM »
I was entertained.  It was worth the $4 I paid.

I would've gladly paid $4. But instead I paid $10.75.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »
I would've gladly paid $4. But instead I paid $10.75.

I thought it was worth $10.75

I'm different than many though.  I go to be entertained and don't care how believable it is.  If the acting is good, the special effects are good, and the story line is good, that's all I need.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Hobbit movie when it comes out in a few weeks, and I don't remember the last time I ever saw a hobbit.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »
It was nice to see in the movie that my beloved AK-74 was getting all the action.  *hugs his AK-74 and smiles*

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
It was nice to see in the movie that my beloved AK-74 was getting all the action.  *hugs his AK-74 and smiles*

I understand that an AK-74 is a 5.45, but if I was going to buy an AK, it would be a 47. But, then again I just bought my first AR and have not even shot it, so what do I know?
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline Garandman

• Prepper
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
I'm sure that they won't want to offend Muslims, Asians, hispanics, or any other class of folks.  The bad guys will probable be evil working conservatives who oppose the nanny state and government hijacking of private industry.  Remember what they did to Clancy's movie by making the bad guys white supremacists though he wrote about islamic terrorists. 

Or the bad guys will be private industry using "contracted armies" to conquer the down-trodden victims of social injustice. 

Sorry, but feeling a bit surly after watching the news today, should have known better!

BP
Funny you mention that. The movie has already been edited to change the bad guys from Chinese to North Korean. They want to sell the movie in China, too, and that didn't fly.

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
To the credit of the Hollywood people who put out Red Dawn (II), I gotta say they didn't paint conservatives as the bad guys.  In fact, the good guys seem like kids who know how to hunt.

Offline cptd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »
Eeeeew! Gross!!!

Offline Winston Smith

• Prepper
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2012, 11:30:07 PM »
Pretty darn good, the story was similar enough to share some key scenes(with changes that were interesting, and usually for the better) but updated for current audiences who aren't/haven't lived under the Soviet Threat of the cold war.  I will say I still far prefer the original by far, and I am VERY irritated about having Jed Eckert played by a Brit or Aussie or whatever the guy is.  I've had about my fill of having American heroes played by foreigners, but I guess if Lincoln can be played by a British guy and the President still wants a private screening,  we might as well give up hope.
"Outie belly buttons are the turkey thermometer of a communist."

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2012, 02:03:18 AM »
Pretty darn good, the story was similar enough to share some key scenes(with changes that were interesting, and usually for the better) but updated for current audiences who aren't/haven't lived under the Soviet Threat of the cold war.  I will say I still far prefer the original by far, and I am VERY irritated about having Jed Eckert played by a Brit or Aussie or whatever the guy is.  I've had about my fill of having American heroes played by foreigners, but I guess if Lincoln can be played by a British guy and the President still wants a private screening,  we might as well give up hope.

Thor equals jed?  I like thor he good guy. 
applejak

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »

Chris Hemsworth is an Australian that spent some time living in the outback, so he's rugged enough for the role.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »
I thought it was worth $10.75

I'm different than many though.  I go to be entertained and don't care how believable it is.  If the acting is good, the special effects are good, and the story line is good, that's all I need.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Hobbit movie when it comes out in a few weeks, and I don't remember the last time I ever saw a hobbit.

My opinion follows. Not a terribly important opinion in the grand scheme of things. A popcorn flick is a popcorn flick and this isn't a matter that Oil Lady is willing to let herself get all ornery about. ;)  Too much other important stuff to worry about, like the coming zombie apocalypse.  :zombie:  But this is my opinion on the whole fluffy world of writing stories and screenplays ....... 

SPOILERS FOLLOW

You can ask the audience/reader to suspend disbelief on just about anything. You can ask them to suspend disbelief on the existence of little beings called Hobbits. You can ask them to suspend disbelief on the existence of something called The Force. You can ask them to suspend disbelief on the existence of tiny little people who live under the floorboards of a house. You can ask them to suspend disbelief about a tornado which lifts a farm house up off the ground completely intact and then safely sets that same house down unharmed in a faraway land full of scarecrows that talk and monkeys that fly.  These are the makings of great stories.

But if you ask me to suspend disbelief on an EMP attack which wipes out the electrical grid, and if I at first go along with your request for my suspension of disbelief because I am hoping for  a really great story, then you need to be consistent for the rest of your story about the sudden lack of electrical anything elsewhere in the story.  And if you go one step further and try to tell me that there is a very special portable telephone which is special for no other reason than the fact that it is somehow shielded from electrical disruption, then you need to continue to demonstrate that said electrical disruption is indeed going on so as to justify not only the need for the very existence of that special telephone, but also justify the need for our heroes to risk their lives trying to capture that special telephone. 

END SPOILERS

This movie is way too much like the never-produced-and-totally-rejected comedy fantasy angel screenplay (not my rom-com fantasy angel screenplay, someone else's rom-com fantasy angel screenplay) where the writer tried to say on Page 12 that angels cannot walk through walls, but then on Page 40, the angel goes and walks through a wall. I don't really care which way a writer wants to take his angel story. One writer can have his angels walk through walls, but another writer can prohibit his angels from walking through walls. (The angels in my own rom-com fantasy angel screenplay can walk through walls.) Either premise will work. The real point here is that you can't change or in any way ignore/negate crucial, hinge-pin details of your story halfway through. Changing the story halfway through doesn't work for Hollywood anymore than it works for the cop who is questioning you. It pisses off all parties from all corners of life when the story changes midway through. Changing the facts of how your world works is a betrayal on the part of the writer against his reader. The reader trusted that writer back on Page 12 when he said angels can't walk through walls. But then on Page 40 that trust got betrayed and then that whole magnificent angel world that got crafted over the previous 39 pages suddenly collapsed in a puff of non-credibility when the dam holding back the floodwaters of disbelief suddenly burst and a tidal wave of disbelief came rushing through and ruined everything. (Thus that particular rom-com fantasy angel screenplay was rejected. And the screenwriter was stubborn enough to insist that the walking-through-walls bit was just a minor detail and no one in the audience would care. But everyone in the room at that production company cared when they made the decision to reject his angel screenplay.)

Now I personally am a very slow reader. (I can read a 120-page screenplay in 120 minutes. Most other people could read it in 60 minutes.) So if I begin to read your angel screenplay, and I spend 39 minutes reading the first 39 pages (most other people only need 20 minutes), only to stop there on Page 39 and roll my eyes and cast your angel screenplay aside, that's 39 minutes I'll never get back again, as well as the disappointment of the initial promise of a great story which turned out to be grossly flawed.   

When you craft a world like Middle Earth, you need to flesh out that world and all its details in order for us to believe it's real -- but in truth we don't REALLY "believe" it's real, we are instead merely suspending disbelief that it isn't real (a subtle but important distinction that separates normal people who have a grasp on reality and are merely well adept and ingesting a good story from psychotic people who cannot tell fact from fantasy and who either need medicine or institutionalization or both).  In one sense, a writer is being given permission to temporarily mess around with your mind -- you're specifically inviting him to mess with your previous concepts of reality. (The 2010 movie Inception is a brilliant example of that.)  The writer-reader relationship is a great little relationship, but one based upon trust, like when you sit back in a chair that looks kind of like a barber's chair and let a guy with a doctorate in dental science insert a high-powered drill into your mouth. That's a LOT of trust right there! But woe unto the dentist who screws up that trust by making a rookie mistake while he's messing with the insides of your head! A sane rational person would NEVER let someone put a drill into their mouth. But the relationship between dentist and patient is a special one whereby the patient will suspend an otherwise natural and healthy inclination to avoid letting people stick a power drill into an orifice of his skull.  The betrayal of a bad writer doesn't hurt as much as the betrayal of a bad dentist. But it's still a betrayal, and you likely won't trust that writer ever again.

I'm trusting the writer and the director of a film to give me an alternate take on reality of the sort that makes sense within its own reconnoitered version of reality. But if it turns out that its own reality makes no sense even to itself, then the story is flawed and will collapse, much like a house with a faulty framework will collapse. (Story structure is often likened to architecture. Bad story design and bad plot structure will make a story collapse.) 

This story, Red Dawn II, collapsed in upon itself several times at several key parts. It was flawed, and glaringly so. 

I like the idea of a film which --like this film did-- shows people with their backs to the wall, mustering their inner soldier, finding out what they believe in, finding out what they are made of, and making the really hard choices in life from which there will be no turning back. And this film tried to embark upon exploring those issues. And it did an "okay" job during isolated moments of the story in exploring such issues. I also appreciated the profoundly astute sheriff/father character who SPOILERS  made that very important speech right before he was summarily executed by Captain Cho. END SPOILERS He was an excellent character who is a positive and levelheaded representation of the very best philosophical stances espoused by the entire Prepper movement. I also appreciated the very important character arc of the main character, the kid brother named Matt who SPOILERS  as always just about his own game plan and was a crappy team player -- his character arc centered upon his NEED to learn to stop doing it all his own way and to think of the larger group instead. END SPOILERS These were PIECES of this film that were ..... great, quite actually.  But there were other issues in the overall execution of this film's mainframe plot which were supremely flawed. These weren't minor flaws to the structure, such as a set of back steps to your new house which don't quite line up with the kitchen door -- these were HUGE structural flaws such as the key loadbearing wall of the house not strong enough to support the roof.  It's okay to like a wraparound porch on a house if that porch was well-built and nicely painted, and it's also okay to like the dual-sided fireplace of that same house. But if the mainframe of the house is itself so badly designed that the whole thing is going to collapse in six months or less, then I have to say the house is a failure. It might have some pretty details, but the part that counts just won't hold up.

There was a lot of glossing over of these structural issues. And while some people won't mind that kind of gloss, I do. (Especially for $10.75. ;) )
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:47:41 AM by TexDaddy »

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
I liked it well enough. 

One thing I've noticed about a lot of films these days.  If you don't look for flaws, it's a gojod movie.  If you do, it irritates you to no end.  I could find SNAFUs in "Passion Of The Christ" if I had to.

SPOILER TIME

NK wouldn't go it alone.  The hermit kingdom has kimchi to make.  But the movie hints at PRC involvement and outright states Russians taking over the eastern seaboard, so it's more viable.  I can accept that.

The characterizations were pretty good.  Jed being a Marine makes him training the others much more believable.  Good to see people making human choices.  The mayor caves and collaborates with the invaders.  His son fights and chooses to make a last stand to allow his friends to escape.  That is one of the BEST plot points of the movie for me.  He goes against his family, and gives everything, up to his life, not to what his family tells him is right, but to what he knows is right.  Sgt. Eckert asked his boys to fight.  That they did says a lot about their character, but it wasn't strictly their choice.  Their dad asked them to go to war, and was executed in front of them.  Same deal for Robert, his parents were murdered.  Who wouldn't fight in that situation?  The mayor asked Danny not to fight.  If he had done what his father wanted, he'd have had a fairly easy life.  But he went with what he thought was right, even when it cost him everything.

The locker full of squirt guns up in the hills threw me.  Where did they come from, why do they have them?  Really convenient, but they could have done a lot with the hunting rifles and side-arms if they were setting up ambushes to scav rifles.  But whatevs.

END SPOILERS

On a semi-related note, anyone watched "Tomorrow, When The War Began"?  Think "Red Dawn Australia".  Based on a pretty good book series that I'm working my way through now.

Offline thefuzz1290

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2012, 07:44:55 AM »
I saw it and give it a B-. The story seemed like it would've been a better min-series than a movie. But hey, at least they don't have a 40 year old fighter pilot falling in love with a high school girl.

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2012, 05:24:12 PM »
They finally had it on base and I got to see it yesterday. I liked it personally. During one scene, an ambush in the city, and after all the firing had stopped it panned on all the kids. I could feel it coming and I got chills when they yelled out "Wolverines!!!" Nostalgia.

Offline El Rhino

• Prepper
    • American Oikos
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
I thought it was ok.   It was entertaining enough to sit through and watch.  It's more action-packed than the original, but I think that's part of the problem.  The original is actually pretty deep, it's basically transposing a lot of the bad things the rest of the world experienced in the 20th Century on to a familiar American landscape.   It's a really dark and grim movie.   The remake didn't have the same dystopia feel and a lot of the dark parts seemed white-washed.  It was almost like Dawson's Creek or any other teenage drama with machine guns.  I expected AC Slater to jump out at any moment.    There wasn't much more to it than any other big blockbuster action movie.

One of the old Marine characters with "SgtMaj Tanner" was the most awkward Marine archetype I've ever seen, like using "motard" out of context.   Dude made me cringe.

I also thought the backstory about North Korea wasn't very well developed.   If I hadn't read about it beforehand (basically they coerced a lot of other Asian countries into a union by threatening them with nukes), I wouldn't have known what that was about.

I thought the intro segment was very cool, especially since most of it was real footage.

I also liked the tension between Matt and Jed.   You can sense it in the original, but it's better developed in the remake.

I love Red Dawn.   I'm actually putting out an ebook very soon of about 15-20 different essays of things like character analysis, intrepretations, themes, speculation, etc. on the original.   

Offline Exile72

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »
I went in to this movie with an open mind and kind of excited to see it.WELL wait for it to be on cable  people or until it hits the $5.00 bin at Walley World. The plot and characters are very weak !!! But if you are and "AK" fan like my self there is some eye candy there.

Offline Connecticut Prepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »
It was an okay movie though the original was far superior in every way. This was more of an action movie that took place in America where as in the original you to the sense of being invaded, the Russians were far more brutal in the original, the original was far more gritty and gut wrenching

The invasion landing on the school ground, the reprisals on the civilian population after every Wolverine attack and watching these kids with no other skills other than a couple of woodsmen turn into a formidable force. Matt Eckert watching all their family members and pretty much everyone they talked to and had given aid to the wolverines executed. And then with Powers Booths entry into the movie you saw the wolverines grow and become a deadly force.  But then you saw the group honor its dead with their monument wall you began to feel the love and the loss as the months went on and as war took its toll on the group

He second Red Dawn really leaves out quite a bit of these feelings and powerful moments, quite honestly if this new group of wolverines were to face the first invading army from the original Red Dawn, the group never would have made it out of town

Offline TorontoGrl

• Prepper
  • Russian immigrant :)
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2012, 07:52:44 AM »
I'm just relieved that Russia is not the enemy any more haha :) North Korea is too poor for this kind of attack and China + Russia would never let North Korea do this, what an unrealistic concept..

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
Technically China was the invading force through a good portion of the filming. The financiers made the production crew go back in and change the enemy to North Korea. They didn't want to cheese off any of the potential foreign markets for the film and they figured no one in North Korea would be seeing it anyway.

Offline TorontoGrl

• Prepper
  • Russian immigrant :)
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2012, 08:20:14 AM »
I heard that, but I'm talking about the finished product. It's funny, during the Cold War, Americans TOTALLY overestimated Soviet Union's potential threat, the country was much poorer than Americans believed, this is the best proof of how well the Soviet propaganda worked :)

North Korea is launching missiles in the hopes of America and the rest of the world believing that they are a real threat, while they are truly meek and pathetic.  Russia knows this, if Russian government truly believed that North Korea was a real threat, they'd very quietly destroy them.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
I just saw it.  Entertaining.  Action packed.  Lots, lots, lots more battles than the first movie.

The only thing that makes me cringe about it is that some sheeple might think preppers are waiting for an invasion by a foreign nation.  Of all the things I prep for, the North Koreans invading Spokane is not one of them.

It's worth the money to go see.

Well, if there's any chance of the DPRK trying to invade my neiggbourhood, I'm pretty sure that we'd have quite the humanitarian mission on our hands just trying to save their troops from starvation.

I haven't seen it yet, but definitely wish that the PRC was more explicitly made out to be the real instigators.

Offline Connecticut Prepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2012, 10:35:01 AM »
"It's funny, during the Cold War, Americans TOTALLY overestimated Soviet Union's potential threat, the country was much poorer than Americans believed, this is the best proof of how well the Soviet propaganda worked :)"

I think it was better for America to overestimate the Russians potential threat than to totally underestimate the Russians potential threat.

Underestimating your opponent is the number 1 way to lose the fight.

Also in the Red Dawn remake, the Russians took the American east coast